September 11th

2»

Comments

• Schipol airport (Amsterdam) in transit....
  • I was checking my email, and got a really strange message from my Mum, who works in NYC. It was about planes crashing and buildings falling, but she wanted me to know that she was fine. I wondered what on earth she was talking about, so I went into the common room where the telly was on. Then I knew...
  • I was on paternity leave from my job in the city. Just checked with reuters to see latest prices, hadn't moved, though that was funny so put on Bloomberg TV.

Bu**er - one of my friends worked on the 105th floor and I had dealings with the whole desk of Cantors (floors 104 & 105).
    Earlier that year I'd been in NY in Windows on the world and up on the roof (viewing platform) still amazed that helicopters and weather planes were below us.

Everybody I spoke to in London knew someone in the building, fortunately a lot got out OK. Another friend got on the Staten island ferry just before the first one came down.

The weeks following it were surreal.

I for one did partake in the 2 minute silences, my mate's wife was expecting their second.

• TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Thanks to barnsleyrunner for a little reminder of the shrill right-on political idiocy that accompanied those awful days and made them even more unbearable for those of us who lost loved ones.

• Slogans, TMAP... tired old slogans

Why `shrill'?

Why is being as bothered about non American and British lives `right on'? If it is then fine.

Political idiocy - yep seen lots of that in the last 3 years...

I'm sorry you lost loved ones, and I'm just as sorry for families in Iraq who lost loved ones in the ensuing war as well.
  • I work shifts, I'm at home with toddler who has just mastered the art of re-wind on the video (instead of watching it in fast reverse). Suddenly Sky news comes on - a plane crashes into a sky-scraper- hoe did I feel? Numb, horrified, confused...
    How did I feel when the Americans killed the innocents? Ditto. How do I feel having seen the events at Beslan? Ditto. Life is precious. God help us all...
  • I was at work and one of my collegues was running around the office panicking. This colleague was a bit of a joker so I thought he was up to no good as usual and so ignored him.

It werent until later that I found out about the towers and the reason why he was panicking was because his brother was a few blocks away from the towers. Fortunately he was o.k.

I will never forget the pictures I saw on the news when I got home. I just couldnt believe what I was seeing.
  • Wish you hadn't started this thread Dodge.

I suspect we can all remember what we were doing that day - if only because the media coverage of the event was so intrusive and the pictures so dramatic.

It was an atrocity which ended the lives of some 3000 innocent people. We should also remember that it has led to the deaths of thousands more since, as a result of Bush's dishonest linking of this attack with Saddam Hussein's Iraq - and that the toll is still rising.

Btw, does anyone remember what they were doing when they first became aware that hundreds (yes, hundreds) of thousands of people had been massacred in Rwanda?
    Thought not.
  • Mike, you've made the same point that BR has already re other events/atrocities.

Why do you wish that I hadn't started the thread? Some people have chosen to say what they were doing when it happened, I haven't, I was merely reflecting on the cultural significance of the event itself. The fall of the Berlin Wall was also a significant event during our life time* but I don't remember what I was doing when I heard the news. Possibly Sept 11 is the first major "event" during my adulthood, all I know is is that it generated fears in me that weren't flamed by the media or Government announcements. Maybe a better comparison of the effect of the event would be to compare it to how the Americans felt when they discovered that Cuba had Soviet nuclear weapons on it's shores and they felt they were standing on the brink of an all out nuclear nightmare.

As terrible as the event itself, my feelings/fears at the time of Sept 11 were far more personal and along the lines of "Are we/am I next?".

*well I consider it significant as it signalled the end of the "Cold War" and the collapse of the Soviet Union
  • I was on holiday in greece. I was in the same resort earlier when Sharon went on his little trip in jerusalem which sparked off the intifada - something about the place. I remember being pretty scared and on holiday again in 1991 when there was a coup against gorbachev - nobody knew how that would end up for a while.
  • Mike S,

The atrocities in Rwanda have been going on for years, I first became aware of it when working in Zaire in 1991, and have kept a keen eye on developments in that region ever since. Sickens me know every time I read about it. The riots in Kinshasa that prompted me leaving also left 000s dead. I don't think that was reported at all here.

The difference with sep 11th was that for most westerners it was a bit too close to home and the fact that it was ruthless slaughter in the workplace hammered the point home. Even being in London for IRA bombs (Canary Wharf/Baltic Exchange/London Bridge) didn't have the same effect.

I don't value one life more than any other, however it is my nature (rightly or wrongly) to feel more compassion for a nation with whom I personally have close affinities.

Therefore the Rwanda/West AFrica thing for personal reasons, and all Western events including the Berlin Wall (GMTV before going to work). I feel sad about events in the middle east but it doesn't strike the same feelings in me. Sorry.
  • I had just got back from a meeting in London - got in the mini at Leicester station and turned on the radio as news came in about the first attack - got home and saw the second plane going in live.

My feelings then were that it was all rather surreal - it is a hard statement to make but like most of us I am probably more used to tens of thousands of people in the third world being massacred or starving than I am terrorist attacks on this scale in the centre of New York.

It didn't affect me emotionally - I didn't know anyone involved and I didn't relate to the victims in any way - it was another tragedy but as others say not unknown in scale.

I do find it a difficult subject because on the one hand you want to respect the fact that thousands died - on the other hand the commemoration of this tragedy above many others is in itself a political act.

I do find it rather telling that they couldn't leave the area as a memorial garden - we all know why.

• I was in London, with my Mum (it's her birthday), we'd been invited to a thank you reception at Great Ormond Street Hospital for sick children.

I'd ran the FLM for them earlier that year. The planes had been crashing whilst we were on the train journey up from Portsmouth. We never learned what had happened till about 4pm.

The thank you reception got cancelled & we had to rush back to Waterloo for fear that the rail stations were going to closed & we'd have been stranded in London.

We did get home okay though - after some understandable delays.

TTT.
  • Butlins Minehead. Mum was alive. Just realised at 5 months that our sprog could understand more of what we said than we thought he could.

Friend was in NY. Big time city Banker. Had a few txts flying back and forth offering to be of any assistance I could as he couldn't get out of USA. Wow.

Found out the other day, apparently 50% of the twin towers was asbestos, ie the big white cloud of the aftermath. That'll be fun in 20 years.
  • I was driving home from work to go on holiday, flying out of Dubai at 0100 the next morning. Sat tranfixed in front of CNN until 2200 when I had to start packing. The next morning I was flying over central London and was so glad when I heard the wheels go down and was sure that the pilot intended to land.

Didn't connect emmotionally as I didn't think there was anyone I knew in NYC, latter found out that my cousin left the trade centre one hour before the attack. To be honest the attack in Russia affected me more, can't understand why anyone would hurt children
  • I had not long started work in Canary Wharf and it felt very surreal watching it unfold live on TV. It made me feel very fortunate as other companies which I applied for jobs at had an initial training period in the US however my job didn't.

I think one of the things about Sept 11 is the fact that almost all of it was captured live on TV whereas most of the events before it haven't been.

Recently I was in Moscow for work and had to fly out the day after their 2 planes were bombed and whilst I was there the metro station bomb and the Beslan siege also happened. At the moment I think its changed my perspective on things and I find it hard to listen to radio DJs talking about inconsequential crap and don't find it interesting to read all the rubbish printed in the papers.
  • The first I knew was a phone call from my sister telling me that my Dad had called from Heathrow, and was fine. He was flying back from LA and arrived at Heathrow at about 1pm. I also had a phone call from my other sister telling me that her plane to New York had been cancelled just as she was about to check-in. She was due to do an internship at the Holocaust museum in NY. Makes me wonder a bit what history will make of the events happening now.
  • was at my place in France. had been out in the hills for a big walk and got back, fired the laptop up to check e-mails. then logged onto the BBC website to check waht was happening in the world.......and WHOOOOOAAAA....what the f**k.......switched French TV on and just watched the rest of it unfurl in front of our eyes with just sheer disbelief......
  • I had spent the day walking on Hadrians Wall, well as best you could due to the Foot & Mouth restrictions. Met a German tourist at a stile, and he was going on about "a plane crash" in america... Said bye and thought no more about it, driving back to the campsite, I put the car radio on, and finally understood what had happened.

• was in college, teaching,all morning and went back home,put the telly on oblivious to the carnage,thought it was just another plane crash(amazing how we become de sensitized to disasters)but soon became shocked at the horror unfolding.
  • I was having a row with the owner of the yard I used to be on. She then phoned and left a message to say to watch tele if I thought I was having a bad day.

I didn't until an hour or so later

and then sat there thinking we were entering world war 3. very very weird, and horrible feeling. was waiting for an announcement that london had been attacked, it really felt like all out war. horrible
  • You lot have had really busy weekends.

Last Saturday's a complete blank to me.
  • I was in the last week of my notice in my last job. Planning what I was going to do next, thinking about the future. Suddenly I picked it up on the internet - I was talking to Mrs FR about it at the weekend, and we were commenting that those pictures were amongst the last we saw on our own TV before we moved and it had to go.
  • Was watching live on the telly in work. Must say, I was cacking meself...
  • I was on honeymoon on the way to the airport when it happened.

Our hotel was attached to a World Trade Centre in the far east. I felt the fear!
  • It was my birthday too - just finished my second day of teaching and got in the car to hear Pat Sharp say "and the second tower has collapsed" I seriously was waiting for the punchline, not having heard anything other than that one line. My son was 4 at the time and we got home and watched the rest unfold. His next drawing was of a plane flying into a building. My husband and I went to the cinema to "celebrate" my birthday, but as we drove there, I couldn't help but thinking I should be home with the children, because the world is about to end. In the trailers before Moulin Rouge, we saw the twin towers no less than 3 times in different films. One very surreal evening.
  • I remember going into the supermarket on the way home and trying to figure it out. I think the whole thing felt so impossible that it took days for me to fully comprehend what had actually occured.

• I was waiting to give blood. Felt somehow appropriate watching it unfold while in a room full of strangers. General reaction was no more than morbid interest - I think it took a few days for people to build up fears of how it might affect their daily lives.

I remember for a few months afterwards, whenever there was a large building shown on TV, I half expected a plane to appear and crash into it.