Weekday Long Runs

I'm training for the Loch Ness Marathon at the end of September. I've been doing my long run's on Thursday's after work. I've found it free's up my weekends which is great, I still do a shorter run at the weekend. Does anybody else do their long runs mid week and if so how do they find them.

Comments

• I do my long run whenever I can fit it in around the family - mine's tonight, because Sunday morning hubby was doing a 30k cycle for life.
    If I set off when he comes in from work (6.30 ish) it's not too bad, though I do have to remember to eat something beforehand though!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I'm increasing my mileage towards Loch Ness too, and having looked at my calendar for the next few weeks (social and a couple of races), I will need to start this too. I did 8 miles last night and I feel ok today (although I had to take the lift this morning ;-() so I'm going to up it to 9 or 10 for Thursday. I did feel extremely hungry this morning (more so than usual) because I had a "normal" dinner last night. When I have long runs at the weekend I tend to "refuel" lots for the rest of the day.

What is your target for Loch Ness, Ellie, and what has been your longest run so far? I'm looking at doing 5:30 (although secretly I'm hoping for 5:15, but so far have only managed 11 miles in one go.
  • Nessie,

Great to hear from you. I ran London in 4:10 so I'm hoping to be able to match it. I realise it's got a couple of hills and we wont have the crowd's, so to match it would be great anything less will be a bonus. I'm following the RW sub 4 schedule I did for London, so my long run last Thursday was 21, this weeks is a 16. Keep up your training and hopefully we'll meet up either at Glasgow or Loch Ness.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Or maybe both! Hope you can make the pre-Glasgow pasta/pizza with myself, Drew and possibly SwissBobby.
  • Only do long runs during the week: weekends are for family and I end up far too tired to run as well.

I have a terrific luxury: having been invalided out of work, I have not yet gotten back in, and therefore have the chance to choose when I run. For now, running, and getting rid of this lurgy for good is first priority. When I go back to work, supposing I can find something to do having torpedoed one career, presumably I will have to rejoin the world that runs on Sundays.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I love running long on the weekend. However, it's also what fits in with my work and family.

Mind through the summer months when I have the school hols off, I vary the days I go out on long runs and also the time I go out. Normally I prefer to do long runs in the morning because of the time they take (all my long runs are 15 miles + all year round)freeing the rest of the day for other things.
  • I fit my long runs in around the bizarre shift pattern I work so can be any day of the week! Best of all is to start early in the morning (if you can drag yourself out of bed!) - its great to be up and about when the rest of the world is still asleep