welcoming, warm and intermittemtly wobbly club , Weds 20th

Comments

• The foxes around here don't look much like it either, especially when they're going through the contents of my bins.

It looks a bit festive though, so I might keep it for the winter.
  • I saw a very cute fox the other day at point-blank ra...er, I mean, it came almost close enough for me to touch. Then it ambled along the grass verge at the side of one of the main roads into Birmingham and slipped down to the canal bank.

I know they're vermin and all that, but it was beautiful.
  • I see quit a few (and here them during the night) out the front of my house - as my house faces onto open farmland and woodland

Quite often see deer when I go running in the beamish woods early on a morning (during summer)
  • Thought it was you WW!
  • Hi All

WW Glad you are coming out of gloom. I loke your mushroom thing and will try it out.

Cath Good luck for tomorrow

Benz glad you're back.

Hi to everyone else and congrats for dragging your selves out.

I went for a run today and it was a DISASTER. Only managed 4k and not very well. SO I've decided to give running a rest for a while and start dieting.

I got my WW books out today and have started noting down my food again. I'm going to concentrate on power walking, rowing and upper body work til my eyes heal then I'll start running again.

This is my intention any way :-)
  • JJ, 4K isn't a disaster under any circumstances. It's 2.5 miles run. Well done! But even the elites don't train all year round and variety is the preventer of boredom.

My wretched ankle is back. I thought it looked a bit puffy this morning, and now it looks puffy even through 70-denier navy stockings and it HURTS. Bah booh gurrrr! I'm ready to do a Dobby the house-elf impersonation and start beating myself up with the desk. Can't be the effects of the Suicide Six(ish) - that was three days ago. Ah, well, the pool summons again. Never wanted to be a runner anyway. The grapes are sour.
  • Thanks Vrap

Sorry about ankle

Physician heal thy self :-)
  • Physician's body will heal itself. Just wish it would hurry up about it.
  • JJ
    Congrats on your 2.5 miles, no mean achievement on an off day
    Nick
  • afternoon all, feel knackered again today, father going home tommorrow so life will get back to normal. Whilst its nice to have him visit its also nice for him to go....

Wild Will, I know youve probably been asked before but you sound like you have SAD. Have you tried the lightboxes ? V-rap what do you think of them ?

off to have my leek and potato soup lunch

Going to my local club tonight for the first time, wish me luck
  • Hi Scarlett. Happy clubbing! You'll enjoy it.

Wish I could persuade the local community mental health team to take SAD seriously and invest in a few lightboxes. Could quite fancy one myself as I do the carbohydrate-craving, just-let-me-hibernate thing, although last winter I was training hard and was a lot better.
  • do you think those daylight bulbs would help or are they a different thing. My physics is extremely rusty.
  • Having weighed myself for the first time in ages at the weekend and thought 'eek - where's that stone and a half come from then' I thought I should wobble my way onto this thread instead of just lurking.

It's much less intimidating than the other 'and for my third daily session' training threads, and besides there are recipes for alternative burgers, what more could you want?

So - yesterday was 4 miles steady at lunchtime, today probably half an hours cycling this evening to try out new bike lights before (gulp) first commute to work by bicycle on friday.

Unfortunately breakfast was waffle with maple syrup at a little chef, not a virtuous start to the day, but impossible to resist.

Redhead - which test, what level?

WW - I've been there with the blues, for about a decade and still get occasional bad periods. Winter certainly doesn't help. Hope it starts looking up.
  • GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    Slowboy, it's great to see you here. Waffle with maple syrup sounds great, although I wouldn't have chosen Little Chef myself. You're certainly right about it being less intimidating on this thread, although the girls do tend to start talking dirty sometimes :-)

Hi everybody else. Lovely day, isn't it?
  • Little Chef on the A66, halfway between home (leave at 6am) and destination (Flimby, North West Cumbria, eed to be there by 9:30).

Not many other options, except have a healthy breakfast at home. And I need to break up the drive, or at least that's my excuse.

• Waffle with maple syrup at little chef is 5 points, under a quarter of mens points per day. Slow boy, as long as you avoid the cream you're OK.
  • Hi fit fiends - hope y'all well

very best wishes to anyone who isnt feeling so good

another slow, feeling tired day - but its very gloomy outside so not at all inspiring to go outside

no running for me yet as thigh is still tight and saturday is only 3 days away - still im not hooked yet so its easy to find lame excuses to skive!

WW - glad your coming out of the bleughs - its a horrible place - thanks for sharing - im still struggling with accepting my depression (no thank you - not today!) for lots of reasons

VRap- get some ice on it Doc!
  • Afternoon all

Just been for me swim – pyramid intervals of 100-200-300-400-300-200-100 with 100m warm down

Followed by 2 rather large sarnys and a Crunchy ;o)
  • Slowboy, you rascal, you're even less of a podge than I am. You just wanna hang out where the action is, don't you? Welcome! Have you signed up for the Moonwalk yet?

If you think the training threads here are intimidating, don't go to the US RW site. I stumbled on there by mistake before realising that there was a UK site, and found myself reading things like "Rest day today. Did 42 miles, aiming for marathon-pace, but took nearly 4 hours to do it because I had forgotten that there was a 10,000ft snow-covered mountain halfway round."

I don't feel at all inhibited about putting my weedy efforts on the training board when I'm actually training, and nobody is going to say "Hey, butt out softy, your training isn't intensive enough to post here."
  • Afternoon all,
    Sorry to hear some folks are feeling down - this place is great for lifting spirits. I find just reading the posts helps me - I don't like to butt in too often!

As I'm here - a silly question I know but I'm still new - what are Races for Life?

• A series of Women only 5k races held throughout the country, in aid of cancer research.

Probably responsible for getting more women into running than anything else.

Think they're generally run in spring/early summer.
  • Thanks - sounds about my level at the moment and prob still will be in the spring!
    Can't seem to get any faster or go any further at the moment - time limited in the early am for running/thundering/jogging!
  • er what would intimidate a large speedy pointy teethed strident dinosaur?

anyway back today - m on the porridge diet - big bowl again aj honey and a sprinkle of spices and a banana

still managing to stay off the biccies - that i havent bought any helps but i did route about for something last night and found some fizzy cola sweets - not the same tho' miss the crunchiness and fat sugariness of digestivey hobnobby type things

I have a light box right here - im not sure of the efficacy but its a really bright white light to work by and it shows how poor the yellowish 60-100watt bulbs are
    not as good as a sunny day though

daylight bulbs - are they the blue ones sold in art shops? Ive tried those in desklamps and they are less harsh the regular bulbs butthey are not bright enough for the lightbox effect

you can hire lightboxes to trial them - go to Inside out (will find the link and try and post it !)
  • It will get better, however hard it seems, and there are loads of people out here who'll cheer you on all the way.

A Race for life could be a good target, they're completely non intimidating as there is every range from 5 minute milers through to people who'll walk the entire distance.
  • Sorry, that was for Hilary, Bune got in before me. Hard to type fast with hooves!
  • ' sokay stallion - you trype better than i do and ive got fingies!

Im keeping a close eye on Race for life series as i have a plan that focusses on them as my goal so will post details as soon as they appear - but i really agree with you about the R4L series - they do get so many many women starting running in a friendly non competitive and supportive environment
  • Thanks SB - will def aim for one of those and no doubt if I keep popping in here I'll pick up on one. South Cumbria is rather off the beaten track and not so many events in this part of the world it seems.
    Who cares I'll keep wobbling on, it works for weight loss the same way all those hours of road work just before the hunting season!

• right ill have a go

www.outsidein.co.uk

lightbox place btw!
  • Keep pressing wrong button - not good with these 'puter things!

thanks Bune & SB will aim for for a R4L as a goal in the spring.

Got to go and make cakes now! I promise not to lick the bowl...... well just once!
  • Bune - cheers :o)

Also

I’ve just partaken in some retail therapy and ordered 2 new books from Amazon:

1) Becoming an Ironman: First Encounters with the Ultimate Endurance Event
    2) Workouts in a Binder: Swim Workouts for Triathletes