Bread Makers

Comments

• OH BR - what a b*mmer

possibly is a dud

The first thing to happen - within seconds of turning it on - should be the loud sound of the machine mixing the ingrediants together - this goes on for ages...

then it should get warm - ours then knocked back the loaf for a bit then proved it again then cooked it

Also - are you absolutely SURE you're using STRONG flour ? I know it sounds obvious but for 3 weeks we had flat bricks because MrSS didn't read the packet and used plain flour - not Strong

The correct volume of fluid is essential - if using fresh milk (I never use any milk - dry or fresh) - or if using oil instead of butter - the total fluid content must not exceed that given for eg water in the recipe

Do they have a trouble shooting guide with the machine ?

• BR:
    Is there a way to check that your yeast is alive?
    (Maybe putting some in warm water with a little sugar and seeing if it bubbles after a while?)

I use dried easy bake yeast (even though its not recommended for bread making machines) and that works fine for me.

As another option - try buying a bread mix - if that works you know your bread maker is fine - which at least narrows things down.
  • Cheers

This time it sat motionless for one hour 45 then sprang into life mixing the dough. We'll see what it comes out with at midnight.
  • I'd second the suggestion of trying a bread mix - the "just add water" kind. (But make sure you add the right amount for the size of bread machine, it should say on the packet.) If the machine's in a cold room, you may want to err on the side of caution and add warm water at this time of the year. I've never had a failed loaf with Tesco's basic white loaf mix, the one in a green & white packet.

Try it on the rapid bake - it should start mixing straight away, you should see the paddle moving if you peek.
  • [Correct self - Allinson Dried Active Yeast - not Easy Bake - doh]

BR: I think the delay before springing into life may be because you've set it on a granuary/wholemeal bread - something to do with letting the flour soak to soften it. (It's a long time since I read the manual for mine :-)
  • when you've got the hang of it, squirt a bit of lemon juice in with the water - makes the loaf fluffier.

• VoodsVoods ✭✭✭
    People, people, PEOPLE! Why'd you need a machine when it takes literally 5 minutes to mix some Soda Bread and wop it in the oven?

1 lb of flour
    1 tsp of bicard of soda
    1 450ml carton of low-fat natural yoghurt
    handful of dried rosemary and basil
    handful of sunflower / pumpkin seeds if required.

Heat oven to about 200 degrees (sorry - don't do Gas!).

Sift flour and bicard of soda into large mixing bowl. Throw in herbs. Can also throw in sunflower/pumpkin seeds if desired. Make a well in the middle of the mixture and pour in the yoghurt.

Now this is the tricky bit. You sort of make a claw with your hand and dip it in the middle of the yoghurt and sort of swirl it around until all the flour and stuff is amalgamated. You might need to add a small amount of water but to give you an idea, it should be about Scone consistency.

Flour a board and wop the mixture onto the board and just fold over in a similar fashion to making scones.

Put onto a baking tray (preferably floured as well to stop loaf sticking!) and make into a round. Use a knife to mark a cross in the top (to let the fairies out!) and then wop in the oven for about 30 minutes.

Test after thirty mins by tapping bottom of bread - if it sounds hollow, it's done!

What could be simpler - and without a machine!
  • hmm sounds tasty voods, would go well with my favourite griddled chicken and salad
  • VS _ I lived off soad bread as a student - soda bread pilchard pizzas were a specialty - but I always used lemon juice to curdle the milk / yogurt - dunno why but it made it far nicer

I can't stand it now tho!

BR - could be its automatically setting itself for a delayed start ?
  • VoodsVoods ✭✭✭
    Lemon juice would react with the bicarb to produce more air in the bread. I've tried it with, and without but prefer mine quite dense.

Quite like the sound of pizzas with it though - haven't tried that!

<<Scuttles off to check contents of fridge to see if he could make some as a late night feast>>

• BR - same thing happened to us - everyone kept telling us how wonderful they were so we got one - result was we didn't manage one decent loaf from 3 machines and in the end just got our money back. Maybe we were doing something wrong but we tried everything anyone suggested and none of it worked.
  • Voodoo - I like soda bread, but that actually requires doing something that resembles cooking. Bread machines don't. Plus a bread machine doesn't make the kitchen as hot as the oven does in the summer.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    BR - from a distance it's hard to tell what you're doing wrong.

The machine will be quiet for a while after you set it in motion. It has a temperature regulator inside, so if you keep lifting the lid you might be hampering that.

This may sound daft, but are you using strong flour? And the proper yeast - easy bake, quick action NOT the normal yeast.

I'm as cack-handed with modern technology as they come. But I'm on my second Panasonic (first one lasted about 10 years I think) and if you follow the instructions, make sure everything's the right type of ingredient, in the correct order and quantity, you can't really go wrong.
  • I've got the Panasonic 253 and am very happy with it. Mine does nothing for the first 3O or 4O minutes of starting..I think it does some gentle warming first.
    Don't expect the bread to taste like home-made bread tho...it tastes more like "shop bought" bread..I think it's cos of the type of yeast you have to use
  • Hmm, just removed tonight's effort, which is 3/4 of the way to being a loaf of bread.

The flour is Organic Strong Unbleached White Bread Flour `Ideal for Bread Machines' and the yeast is Allinson Easy Bake Yeast `Ideal Yeast for Bread Makers and Hand Baking'.
  • BR

Not read all the thread but think you ae having problems?

I use same ingredients and found I was having problems with loaves after around 15 attempts it worked and is working still....touches wood very quickly I think it is been very acurate with ingredients I tend to use a bit more yeast than suggested and I do use Olive oil instead of butter.Mine is a Morphy richards had it about 4 years or so.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BR
    Make sure you are adding the ingredients to the pan in the order stated in the recipe. This is normally yeast followed by flour, followed by the other bits, salt butter, water etc. This ensures that the salt doesn't come into contact with yeast, which would kill it. Also make sure the quantities are correct and that you have selected the right program for the bread you are trying to make.

Good Luck
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    My instruction book lists them the other way Bertie - water, marj, salt, sugar, milk powder in the bottom, cover with the flour, make a small well in the flour and put the yeast in the well.

Vital that the yeast doesn't come in to direct contact with the salt OR the water.

Exact quantity of salt is also vital - not sure I remember exactly why, but it is (bitter experience......)

My last loaf was a bread mix one - sunflower seed loaf - just add water. Came out perfectly.
  • We had a Morphy Richards which broke after only 3 months use. We now have a Prima unit which has been brill. Still going strong after 5+ years.

I use Wright's Srong White which I buy in 18Kg bags from Botley Flour Mill in Botley, Hants. Cheaper than buying flour in the supermarket. Check out flour mills on the net... a lot of them do mail order.

I use Dove's Farm Quick yeast (Waitrose)which comes in a single packet which you store in the fridge. I find the 2g little sachets in most packet yeasts a bit too fiddly to measure out. The dove packet makes it easy to measure the tsps.

Occasionally I make a dud loaf but on the whole the Prima's a good model.

A colleague of mine had terrible trouble with his machine.... turned out he was using Lo-salt and not table salt. Soon as he changed all was well.

Our bread doesn't last long as we eat it while it still warm. I bought an electric slicing machine so we can have thin slices and not doormats.

Sorry, another bread machine bore!

BL
  • Success!!

Managed to keep the yeast away from the water and added a touch extra and we have a loaf of bread:-)

A bit spongy, but I'll add a bit less water next time to get a better texture. Didn't realise it's all so precise - a bit like running intervals to HR really....

(becoming a bread and running bore...)
  • Excellent!
    welcome to the bread machine bores club then Barnsley!
  • BR

Bread making is a science rather than an art. The trick is to follow recipes carefully. I use a digital scale to measure the water, ie 1 fl oz weighs 1 actual ounce and 100 ml weighs 100g.It is goo for weighing the flour as well as I just put the bread machine on the scale and add the ingrients pressing zero after each one. I have a Morphy Richards that make 'proper' sized loaves and it is brilliant.

A good breadmaker book is The Ultimate Bread machine cookbook by Jennie Shapter
    ‹a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0754805999/qid=1097861956/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-8208343-4890254
    "› Amazon site‹/a›
    If you have the book club people round your way they usually do it a lot cheaper

Enjoy
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    **Another bread bore alert**

What Josie says is right, BR. EXACT measurements are essential. Especially of the liquid content. You have read the manual all the way through, haven't you? :-)
  • Yes, I can confirm that measurements have to be precise, and the order they go in. You HAVE to put them in in the order stated in the recipe book.

Some things I've discovered through trial and error: use warm water rather than cold; use caster sugar rather than regular granulated; salt can be severely reduced without really affecting the result; the rapid-bake programs give surprisingly good results.
  • Trin

The reason I got mine was that it make proper looking loaves and the slices make normal sized sandwiches. I've never used it to make anything other than bread.
  • In regards to flour, I've found I get softer lighter bread if I relace some of the strong flour with regular plain. I always use unbleached organic.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    What kind of proportions do you use for plain and strong flour, Josie?

And another thing - does anyone have any tips or recipes for a decent rye loaf? My machine's recipe book only has one for about one third rye content and I'd like something closer to the stuff I used to love in Russia (with caraway seeds, yum!) I use the Panasonic, btw.

Let's keep this thread going as a bread recipe swap zone!

Granary loaf on the go as I type :-)