Kent Coastal Marathon

Comments

• s'alright fatboy ;-)))
  • Yes you can use the half runners for pacing. I'll probably having predicted time boards up at the start... Doesn't usually work, but I can at least try.

There will an SIS gels at 7, 14 and 20 miles if you wish to train with them. Water will be every 3 miles, and we are really hoping for bottled water at at least 6,13 and 18 miles and one in the goody bag at the end...

If you want a pacer with a particular time I may be able to pair you up with one of our club runners... If I know one fast enough :-). I reckon our fastest runner will be doing about 1:20 half, otherwise I'll see who else is entering.

I'm not sure we'll manage 'special drinks' this year, but you're welcome to have supporters give you these on route as places of your own choosing as long as they don't interfere with the marshalls or official drinks/feed stations.

Course information will come forward as soon as Mark and I have finalised the route - It will probably be in the next 6 weeks. I hope to produce a map and course profile...

Cheers

djb

PS: I'm getting nervous about it already.... and we're 4.5 months off.
  • Thanks, David - much appreciated as always...
  • DB Do you want my mother in law with the hose pipe out again this year if its hot? Top of Winterstoke Cresent?

For those that haven't done this course I will sing its glory and praise.

I have run 4 marathons, twice London, once Abingdon and here. This is my PB.

This year I am off to Kenya for Safaricom and its my intention (if I haven't been eaten by a lion on route) to be back in Thanet for this marathon...

Pantman see you at Miles & Barr with the family again this year?
  • Don't be worried about hills they are only minor inclinations. The second half is so flat anyhow that you have nothing to worry about. Also despite there not being the 500,000 supporters that London attracts there are still people out there willing to give support.

In 2003 we got a URWFRC supporters group going with gells, drinks and cheers at miles 7, 13 and 20 which was a great help. We also had a URWFRC pacer (sub 4 - remember Scotty) and at mile 10 rum and Raisen ICE CREAMS (thanks mum!)

It seems that with the canceled 20 and some carry over this could actually get the numbers the event deserves this year.

Who is up for a URWFRC supporters stand and who wants pacers? Anyone out there able to offer support?
  • Ashley - Miles & Barr is unlikely now it has been switched to a Sunday.

You do sell a race well, Ashley - looking forward to it even more now... :-D
  • Rum 'n' raisin ice cream's orf.

Only tutti frooty left now - Hurry, hurry, hurry....
  • Soz if that appears superficial..

Must try and be more serious.

Now, have set myself a target of 4% body fat for this one, and a resting heart rate of 24 - wont get out of bed that month until these targets are achieved.

:)
  • Sorry for being too serious, must be more superficial...

I may do this race in a suit or some other "novelty" outfit - can't beat any of my PBs now (too much like hard work) so I'll try and keep interest by adding ever more "zany" elements to my "racing". Might even stop for a beer and a hamburger...

:)

(Might be worth remembering that I have never taken issue with those who race for different reasons and to different standards or simply have a different approach. On the contrary, I have always been encouraging and helpful to fellow runners whatever their ability/focus. While I tend to make more "serious" posts on race threads, I never mock others for their different goals. That might be an attitude worth developing before you end up offending people unnecessarily...)
  • 'course you're helpful Pants - indeed you're an inspiration to us all, getting to lead the Kent Champs after being such a tubba just a year or two ago!

but I don't think you're really offended by any of my remarks - I try to see the lighthearted side of everything - it makes the day go by easier, and most peeps know that by now after years on these forums (even the long suffering Ashley!!) :)))
  • I know what you're like Snoops - it was just a friendly reminder that (if you were bothered to know) on this occasion (and on this reoccuring "joke") you had overstepped the mark.
  • Hey! I can be serious (at times) as well, you know, Panty!

And I can certainly recommend stopping off for an occassional beer midrace - I have been known to do it myself. I have to draw the line at eating a burger though - too much unsaturated fat - yecch!!

So, are you on for stopping off at the 22k pub in the ND30K, and having a pint of Harvey's Best?
  • What is your target time for this, Pants?

If I was you, I'd forget about champioship times, and after all your travails, just concentrate on getting round in, say 3:30 or less. It's a low-key race, so no big deal really.

Not sure where I'll be in Sept, but this my "local" mara at the moment. I've had a troubled running year so far, so might turn up to support or run, not sure yet. But then again, might nto make it at all! :-)))
  • AShley,

I'm not 100% sure of the course yet, but I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer.

djb
  • Iwon the over sixtys half last year o Ill be back to give it another go this year.
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Being a bit local, ie Palm Bay, is there a course map of the run? Can't seem to access Thanet Roadrunners site to find out right now?
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    "If I was you......just concentrate on getting round in, say 3:30 or less"

Bryan (Ewok's Mate): That has got to be one of the funniest post I've ever read here on RW!! Thanks for making my horrid day a pleasant one :)
  • :-))

Pants will probably take that as an insult, but I did mean it at least semi-seriously!

;-)
  • This race was a nightmare last year! Dropped out of the marathon. The images still haunt me now: Sahara degree temperatures, tourists with rum'n'raisen ice creams and, oh yeah, the thought that Snoops and the the rest of the forumites had finished at the half mara point and were sampling the delights of the local pub - burgers an' Harveys, let it be noted!
  • Cinders

No course map as yet, as I said in a post up the page/previous page. We will most likely have one when we have finalised the course over the next month'ish...

djb

www.thanetroadrunners.org.uk

The web site should be up and running fine...
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Thanks David. Think was a temporary blip yesterday as I can get onto site fine now.
  • Completed FLM my first marathon last Sunday - what a great day! Now fancy trying something a little less crowded - what is the pb potential of this course?- any thoughts?
  • On the old course as I have said this course is my PB. Yes there are some minor inclines in parts but the long stretches many straight and flat (sea walls) allow you to tuck in and keep going. Parts can be lonely if your at the back of the pack (5 hours) but subject to this years route I woudl certainly say its a good course to go for a PB.

Snoops - you mean you were only joking with all those things you said about me??? OK time to start Ashley's personal training log on here then?

So last night.

Two 30 minute sessions on the tread mill with the room temperature set at 30C. and a maximum speed of 9MPH on a 10% incline. This was combined with the use of a projector borrowed from work to display the course (using iFIT software that not only displays the route onto a 50" screen but also gives a running commentary.

Little sore this morning in the calves but still enough energy to spend the day in the garden moving 1/2 ton of stones around while I landscape the bottom end.

Cinders. we corresponded for a time a while ago. How is your training. I have met soneone else on these forums who wants to run London next year. She is a little shy at meeting people in that she thinks a running club may be full of speedsters. Would you be willing to meet her and take her under your arm (so to speak). I assume at this point that you did join TRAC in the end! The lady is from Ramsgate.
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Ashley, would very much like to meet the lady you know. I did indeed run FLM last weekend in 4 hours 53 so training going ok. Did also join TRAC but haven't actually joined in with a club session yet as am both too shy myself and also think I'd feel out of place with all the fast people! I'm from Margate and email is donnaspud@yahoo.com if you want to correspond further. Thanks.

PS...don't envy your training, sounds rather warm!!!
  • Thanks Cinders. I will pass your email onto her and let you arrange something between yourselves.

Do go and check out TRAC I am sure that they will be able to help.

Are you at Miles & Barr 5k, if so I look forward to meeting you there.

Well done with FLM a goal achieved and a great time. I bet you are well pleased with yourselve.
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Hi Ashley, thanks and look forward to hearing from her.

I'll be at the Miles&Barr 5k but have offered to marshall it so look forward to meeting you and other TRAC members too.

Yep, despite being sunburnt I really enjoyed last Sunday and it was a fantastic day.
  • Cinders. Come along to Charles Dickens School (Broadstairs) on a Monday evening 6.30.
    We do a 45-60 minute run - usually to Dumpton Gap, down to the beach, along the esplanade to Louisa Bay then across Broadstairs seafront to Stone Bay then back to Charles Dickens via Lanthorne Road and Callis Court Road.

A runner is NEVER left alone and with your FLM time, you will NOT be the slowest.