Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• HMM - good luck with that. I've already tried recruiting C75 to Larne AC, with no success (yet).

Ecos5 then - I heard the course has to change since a footbridge has been condemned. Is that true? Does that mean a smaller loop, more laps? Or a different loop altogether?

• Cheers Rower, BBT, AU and Kenneth...

LOL - thanks for the offer HMM - but I'm a happy chappy just doing my own thing.

Good to see you back on here/online PTB - been missing your chirp. Hope training's going well. We'll try and get out for another long run before all this tapering b*llocks kicks in.

C75

• PTB - no loop at all - new course involves a new much bigger loop.  No laps reqd.  Yes bridge is down but it probably has done us a favour providing what I think will be a quicker course

Longhair can fill you in on exact details if he is about the forum

• AU, you know me better than that.  Managed 16 miles last night in 1:58:35.  Tough conditions as it rained during the whole run and was quite windy in parts too. A good warm up for tomorrow nights 5k race. A new injury after last night. Forgot to put vaseline on nipples. image  image.

Great to see how you and Jim have battled through your injury problems and are all set for London now.  The Hoff drove past and spoke to me on Friday evening when I was out running. is he still recovering from his knee injury and will he make a comeback soon?

• Paul OHPaul OH ✭✭✭

HMM - I hope the Ecos5 still has the stadium finish.image

C75 - great run on Sunday, I heard your name announced at the finish as I was going past in the other direction.

Does anyone know if the Whitehead Easter Monday run is on this year? There is no sign of it on the fixtures list.

• Paul OH, I checked the Whitehead Community Association website and there is no mention of the 5 mile race on  it.  This is where I usually got details of the race. They hava a list of events up to Sunday 12th April but nothing after that.

http://www.angelfire.com/hi4/Whitehead/index.html

• Yes Paul OH - I love that finishing line down the home strait.  That's were I beat Jim in 06 Ecos 5.  Jim - do you remember that? image
  • I've actually never managed to do the Ecos 5 so I'm really looking forward to giving it a go this year.

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow night though. I'm really struggling in training at the minute. I gave blood about 10 days ago and it seems to have taken a lot more out of me than I expected. Fortunately the forecast is for the winds to be easing a bit by tomorrow evening though so fingers crossed...

• I overheard someone at the club tonight saying that whitehead was on monday morning early and had been very badly publicised. I didn't get the time though...

C75 so did you go for beers before sunday's race?? That was me running down the antrim road mid speedwork... 1:20 in halfs and 35 in 10ks is pretty impressive running.

I did the queens 5k myself last week. PB in 18:25. It was a well organised race though there did seem some furore about times. Pretty cool getting your time text messaged to you. I'm going to put in some miles now for a month or so and hopefully shave a bit of my 10k time.

Looking forward to the ecos 5 miler. Sounds like record numbers. All the races have been packed this year - running appears to be getting very big here. Good to see though best getting to the front at the start now. It's the only race up in my home neck of the woods that isn't up a mountain so looking forward to that!

• HMM how could i forget it,when you keep talking about it image 1 second.

Got to the club run on monday night,so i have been tapering for 1 day now image.

Good luck to anyone running the 5k in Coleraine tonight.

• Jim - it still sounds as if it is very raw - I'll not bring it up again image
  • Morning all NI Runners!  I'm doing the Belfast marathon and have searched the website and have seen the route map.  I can't see a profile of it though, can anyone tell me if it's hilly or flat or any place in particular to look out for.  Sorry if this has been asked a million times!!
  • Hi GFB - I've only done a 3 mile section of it (as part of a relay) and it was all uphill! The others on here have done it so I'm sure they'll be along shortly to fill you in.
  • Hi GFB the Antrim Road is tough you seem to be climbing for miles then a steep down hill section which is tough going after all the climbing. They've changed the finish since I last run it a couple of years ago but the bit up the Ormeau Road is tough slight climb but comes at about 23 miles. I can't remember any other bad hills maybe some of the guys who ran it last year can help out. Good luck is this your first marathon?

I started my come back last night 2 miles in the pouring rain then into the the health suite. The back feels OK but won't try pushing it too much and take it slowly.

HMM was there a woman in front of Jim?

Good luck to all running tonight the forecast is for it to dry up I hope there are right as I have to stand out in it.

• Tommygun - yeah spotted you last night on the road. You looked strong.

Only had one or two beers before the Titanic 10km (on the Saturday night, not the Sunday morning). It's tradition...LOL

GFB - Antrim Road for around 2 miles. Slow incline, not too steep. You've one or two other creeping hills. Nothing that will give you a heart attack.

Ecos 5 is a great event. Lovely fast course and well organised. Missing it this year unfortunately.

So, is Whitehead 5 on then???

• Good man Kenny good to hear you are back on the road.The health suite is great after a run.

GFB  Kenny is spot on those are the main hills to watch out for.There is a section of the course which runs along a path near a motorway this can be a very boring part of the race.

• Paul OHPaul OH ✭✭✭

Thanks for the link Rodney.  Big fields, chipped times and Kenyan winners are all very well, but I enjoy a nice low-key local run like Whitehead.

GFB - search on marathonguide.com for a course profile for Belfast.  The Antrim Road never seems the worst bit of the course to me, maybe because I live nearby and am familiar with it.

I got a flyer on Sunday for a hospice 5k in the Titanic Qtr on May 31st - that's three runs fixed for the same day.  If I'm free, I'll probably stick with the 3rd World Run on that day (online entry at thirdworldrun.org)

• I think the forecast is quite good for later, winds to die down and showers to fade away so you should be dry Kenneth.  Any info on the course-Would it be considered a fast 5k circuit?
  • Hi GFB, here is an overview of the circuit:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TTVaz9PHYXk/SBTgq1PHmEI/AAAAAAAAACM/TZeSKjfkFmI/s1600-h/relay_route2.jpg

The worst part of the course i understand is the middle section where you have a long steady climb
    (Not as bad as the mountain looks - it goes up about 300ft over the course of about 7 miles)

There are listings for the marathon on the mapmyrun website you could have a look there too

• Paul O Hare - do you live on the Antrim Road?

I live on N Circular.

• Thanks guys....thanks for the link Paul OH....hmmmm!  looks pretty grim really!!image    *regrets, I have a few......!!"

(LOL at the mountain peak inthe middle of that other link!!....must get out my climbing boots!!)

• Does anyone know if the Jude Gallager "Round the Bridges" 10m Road Race is happening in 2009?

If so, could you share with the forum?

Ta

C

• C75 thats Kennys clubs race so almost sure it will be.Ran it in 2007 great race,great course,so all being well will be doing it this year.
  • MTH I don't think it's a PB course unless you have never done a 5K. First 1K flat turn on to the Dundoonan Road a bit of a clim followed by downhill turn onto the main Porstewart Road a bit of a drag uphill to the back entrance to the Uni then a good downhill section turn left onto the Boulvard which is flat turn left onto the Portrush Road a bit of a climb up Shellhill left onto the Cromore Road downhill and flat into the finish.

Last year we had quite a stiff head wind on the up hill drag on the Portstewart Road. I hope this is a bit of help I will be out on the course somewhere giving you a bit of encouragement.

• C75 yes it's happening this year it should be on the Athletics NI website as the permit has been with them for a while. It's on Thursday 25 June at 7.15. I am in the process of doing the entry forms. It is again part o fthe 10 mile Grand Prix series.
  • Bo**ocks. That's the day I go on hols.

Ah well...

Is the Grand Prix: Portaferry; Scott and Gault; Jude Gallagher?

• Thanks for that Kenneth,  Did the Run n the bann last year was my first 5k race so I will see how it goes.  The Armoy 3 mile run had a few ups and downs so if its similar then hopefully a pb might be possible. Looking forward to it anyway, there is a good crowd of the club heading over. 

Good to hear the Round the Bridges is going again this year, the buns last year were excellent!

• Sorry for asking again but does anyone have any information about whether the Whitehead 5 is definitely happening on Easter Mon?

C

• Cavehill - you should join a running club. There's always someone helpful and grown-up there to answer these sort of questions.image