Too fat to run now

Comments

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Speedy - like ally says, missing a day or two won't matter - you are sticking to your diet and planning a walk at lunch time and a long plod tomorrow. Hope the long plod goes well. I'm doing mine today because I couldn't be bothered to run yesterday so should be rested....

HM - well done on losing all that weight - and for stopping yourself gaining any more at the moment!!
  • Hi everyone. HI HM. Well done on the weight loss. I'm sure you will get the few extra pounds you have put on back off again.

Feeling really gutted today. Yesterday was a long day at work compounded when finishing work at 8pm daughter and I on way home, crossing Tay Bridge, car dashboard lights up like the Blackpool Illuminations, stop light, service light, abs light, handbrake light and my speedo stopped working. Pulled into car park at end of Bridge, read through manual and called AA. 1hr later they arrived to one frozen mother and daughter. Seems it is an electrical fault so was allowed to continue driving as by this time the lights had gone off on their own accord. Got home at 10.45 pm. Not happy chappy.

Today went out for my plod. Weather here windy but I thought ok I can do this. Planned 7 miles. First 3.5 out not too bad but wind was a problem and I walked a lot. Turned to head back but this was into wind. 1 mile later legs gave up, wouldn't run would only walk. They felt really weak. Wind didn't help. 2 miles to go and I stood at the side of the road and bubbled like a baby. Felt this was useless and that I can't run anymore and who was I kidding that I could. If hubby had been at home I would have phoned him to come for me but he was at work so I had to keep walking. Made it home. The 7 miles took me 1hr 36 mins. Feeling really deflated. I know it is the weight that is holding me back and I am trying to loose it but it is going to take a while to loose 5 stone.

OK so it was a bad day folks. Sorry to be a moan. Going to go for a shower now and go and visit the grandchildren to cheer myself up. Will come back later.
  • hang on
    you DID the 7 miles didnt you

Good on you--dont give up

thats how you complete marathons!
  • Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    (((((Speedy)))))

Hippo's right - you did it. Remember walking is good exercise too.

I know how windy it is - I'm just up the road from you!!

This was a bad day but don't let it deter you. The more you do it the better it will get!!

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Speedy - you did 7 miles - that's what's important. That's more than a quarter of a marathon, AND it was windy AND you haven't been back running for long, so don't despair. Keep at it. Having bad days like this will make the good days seem even better (if that makes sense)
  • Speedy, sending you hugs! I think you did really well, 7 miles is excellent, walking or running. Sounds like a bad couple of days, hope next week is better.
  • Hi all, I think I have overdone it today. Maybe it just wasn't the right day. My back is aching for some reason. Trying to do some housework and I can hardly move. Just been told in a very polite way by little sister that I am too fat too run. Well her words were actually more like 'At your weight you shouldn't be running as it is too much (can't remember her exact words) pounding on the road and shock through body. Something like that. I know she was being nice and I know that she has been out of the country for weeks and has not read this far less knows it is here but it still is demoralising. Going south to see her next weekend and don't know whether to pack the running gear or not.

Hope everyone had a good day. Just ignore my moans. Off to have some food now. Was waiting for hubby but he has been delayed at work and won't be home for another hour. Catch you later.
  • tell her to fek off speedy
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ok ok
    I LIKE your sis
    But please PLEASE dont let her put you off
    you CAN do this
  • Hi Speedy,
    I'm a newby but it seems to me as if you're doing really well. You sound as if you are very frustrated because you are NOT a newby and think you should be doing better. Finishing 7 miles is a huge achievement when you've felt like quitting for 1/3 of that distance.
    Our families always think they can say what they like to us, don't they, no matter if it hurts? I'm sure your sis has your interests at heart. However, you know your body, and your mindset better than she does. She's just caught you on a bad day and what she has said has more power to hurt than it might otherwise do. Try to smile sweetly and carry on regardless!
    I have faught a lifelong battle with my weight. I am the worlds worst yo-yo dieter. Last year I was 5 stone overweight, then I took up running (first time for me). I have lost 3 stones since then but am still far from sylph-like. If I feel that my running is slow (which it is!) and not progressing as well as I would like, I try to remind myself of the distance I have already travelled, rather than how far I still have to go. Any weight lost, and any fitness gained, is one step further away from a heart attack!
    Hang in there,
    Sluggy x
  • Hi speedy
    Family say the most awful things under the guise of 'meaning well' don't they? I am also as you know 5 stone overweight and think that even if I am putting a lot of stress on my joints, by getting fit and losing some weight I am taking a lot of stress of my heart.
    Hang on in there speedy, you can do it!
    Ally
  • HI folks, time for some shut eye. Just finsihed reading my book the Davinci code. It was really good. Wondered how Dan Brown would end it.

Ah Hippo I know you like Snails Pace. She hasn't run I think since Reading last year. Don't know if she will go back to it and to think I bought her a GPS watch for her birthday!!!

IS - well done on the weight loss. It isn't easy is it? As a not newby yes I think I should be running a lot better but my brain still thinks I am 5 stone lighter and running as I used to.

Hubby has not long come in from work and agrees with little sister that I am too heavy to be running and should stick to walking at the moment.

Ok Hippo I know what you think of the other half.

Hope to go to slimming class tomorrow. Workoing odd hours I have to keep changing classes but lets hope for a good weight loss this week. At beginning of January I weighted 15st 13lbs and today on my own scales AFTER my run sorry plod I weighted 14st 13lbs although I know that is a false figure having just been out but at least I know the weight is coming off. But it better show at class tomorrow night.

Right off to bed. Feel a bit better than I did earlier after hearing from you all. Speak to you all tomorrow.

• Popped in to see how you are doing Speedy - well done for all your progress! (and well done to all ather forumites who've posted their stories here). Don't let your sis put you off the comeback trail - family love you and mean well but they don't necessarily know anything/everything about running (my Mum thinks I'm too old to run, never mind too fat ;)
    ps Ima Slug - always nice to meet another mollusc on the forums!
  • spedy
    thats a stone off
    feking brilliant
    I run with 3 spare ones
    andi dont let it stop me

dont you either
  • Hi Speedy! Keep it up. I had a bad run on Saturday too, went with other half and legs felt like someone was sticking needles into all my muscles! Perga... err Purger... err horrid! I think it took about same amount of time to do 7 too! Ignore 'well meaning' relatives, they are not helping. I'm afraid good intentions on healthy eating went a bit by the wayside this weekend as I went to other half's flat in Milton Keynes. I've eaten a few of the wrong things so daren't weigh myself until I have a couple of days back in the swing of things! I didn't run yesterday so I guess I'll have to get arse in gear and trot out of the door when I get in from work.

Hello to all the rest and welcome to IS, sluggie, HM (hope I haven't forgotten anyone!)
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Hi to those new to the thread.

Speedy, hang in there. You are doing well. you've come a long way since you started this thread. Families eh? who'd have 'em. You do what feels good to you Speedy. Big hugs.

I'm back from my training weekend feeling a bit down - every time I run with other runners I realise just how bad I am and I hate not being good at something. As a rule if I can't do something well I don't do it. That's a problem in my head really as I know in theory that if I enjoy running (which I do) and do what I can that's all that matters!

I did manage to mess up my ankle again coming back from one of the runs (did 2 runs on Saturday and my body certainly knew about it).

Rest day on the schedule today and then the next two weeks are really tough in the build up to Reading. Hope the ankle holds out.

• Hi mava, I was wondering how your weekend went. Don't despair, you are doing something for yourself and aspiring to improve. I look at it like this, if I'm slow at least I'm a damn sight quicker than those couch potatoes! I used to get demoralised when people were quicker than me and then something 'clicked'. Now I use them like a greyhound uses a hare!! lol! Even though I'm more like a great dane!!!! I admire you for actually GOING on the weekend, never mind running with them! Look after your ankle...plenty of tlc.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Speedy - well done on the weight loss - that's brilliant! I haven't heard you complaining about severe pain in your joints after a run - if that's the case then I'm sure running is ok - after all you are doing gentle plods of a sensible distance at the moment, rather than huge long fast ones! You'll lose the weight whether you run or walk though, so just as long as you do something it won't matter!

I think Ima Slug's point about remembering how far you've travelled, rather than how far you have to go, is a good one too - especially on bad days.

Mava - well done on going on the weekend and enjoy your rest today!
  • mava
    you should run with me-that would make you feel like a sprinter
  • Oooo sorry Speedy, missed that one...well done on weight loss! I agree with Debbo, think of the road travelled, not the one ahead!
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the support. Like I said, I can recognise my 'problem' for what it is. I wasn't the worst on the weekend - I guess I was at the front of the slow group! But there were some people at the weekend looking at sub 3.30 or even sub 3 times for FLM. In my dreams.....

we had the strangest weather - yesterday, in the course of about an hour, we had rain, sun, snow, and hail - all with high winds. tough to know what to wear for the long run!

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    So mava you were actually pretty good then!! I'd be the same though - high expectations of myself, but can't meet them. I still hanker after a sub-50 10k, but realistically I don't think it will ever happen....
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    debbo, it's all relative. I was at the front of the slow group on the long run as they were run/walking it and I was running! That's all. A sub 60 10k would be hard for me.
  • Hi Debbo, I still hanker for a sub 50 10K and will keep trying, you never know! Hopefully speed sessions on the track will sharpen me up!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Speedy - I did 7 miles on Saturday, and it took me 1 hour 26 mins - and I ran most of it.

Don't be so hard on yourself - you had a bad run. That's all. *And* you were trying to go a lot further than you have been doing. Remember the 10% "rule"? You have been doing runs of 3 - 4 miles, and doing fine. Now you try to double that, and feel down when you have to walk.

The next run will be easier.

• Hi all

Mava, sounds like a hard weekend! Look after that ankle - it's not like you have a spare one in the cupboard, if it doesnt' hold out there will be other halfs, but no spare ankles!!

Speedy, hope you had a better day today and are feeling a bit more positive.

I had an appointment with my neurologist today and once again he told me that I really do have to lose weight (I don't think he realises that I've got that message!). I'm really fed up though because I want to do it, I'm trying to do it and I am just not getting anywhere. Last week I exercised 6 days out of 7, did okay with food except succumbing to cake yesterday, and once again have not lost a single ounce. I think that it will be okay, my body will give in and it will all start to come off again but it is so hard to wait and so discouraging. I did manage to go out for a plod when I got back and ran more than I walked around my local lake which is good for me, so feeling a little pleased.

Hope everyone else is okay and having a nice valentines day.
  • Hi all, quick post for now. Hope you are all fine.

mava - 2 runs on Saturday. Thats brill. I know what you mean - we have high expectations then when it falls apart we get really demoralised. I am sure you did just great though. A sub 60 10k is well out of the question for me too just now and I feel bad because I used to do a 50 min 10k but I suppose it is all relative = weight + no running + 1 very slow fat speedy!!

Nessie - well done on the 7 miles. Yesterday was not good weather.

ally30 - I know what you mean. My doctor sent me to the dietician. Felt like telling him I could write a slimming book I just can't stick to it. It is very easy to get fed up and I can really sympathise with you over staying the same even though you cut down and ran more. I have just been to my weigh in and I was so positive I had lost a few pounds and to find out that I have only lost 1lb again this week is really sickening. We seem to have about the same weight to loose I think and we are both trying to run more. We need to set little targets and see how we get on each week don't you think instead of like I do thinking yes 4lbs off this week and a great 10 mile run of which there is no chance.

Going to go just now as just in. So will catch you all later.

• ally30

e-mail me if you care to and we can have a chat.
  • Hi Speedy
    I think I emailed you but not sure!!

Hope it worked
    Ally
  • Hello , I posted a bit at the beginning and have been lurking !

I think you have done well SG, and you are much more likely to maintain your weight loss if it is slow and steady!

Good vibes to all!!