Upper Body Training

I'm looking for an activity to tone my upper body and to complement my running - bored sick of gym/weight training - I have considered Kayaking - any comments/advice/ideas?

Comments

• A good compliment to running would be swimming it could be useful for both recovery sessions and to work your upper body.

I did a bit of white water Kayaking a few years back and found myself very toned especially around the mid section – but constantly a bit battered which will not help the running

What I’ve you have a fancy for trying – just give it a go – a little bit of what you fancy does you good ;o)

Will
  • DOH

That should of read:

What ever you have a fancy for trying – just give it a go – a little bit of what you fancy does you good ;o)

Will
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Apparently archery would also do the job. No first hand experience, but a friend used to participate and was extremely toned!

Fiona
  • do you find circuit training boring? there are lots of good quality classes at gyms out there. there's a class called 'bodypump' which uses a barbell, but it also has an aerobic component and the classes usually have about 30% male participants... boxercise and things like that are also quite good.

traditional circuit training can also be useful, or do your own circuit as part of a run a couple of times a week. this could include pressups, wall pressups, tricep dips, chin ups etc... if you pass through a park early morning the kids playground monkey bars can be of use...

all i used to do was 20x bicep curls and 20x tricep dips every evening, with 20 sit ups and pressups in a morning before joining a gym and it left my upper body in proportion to my lower body... i know that's boring but just think of it like cleaning your teeth...