Very lightweight trainer suggestions

Comments

• As of last week Fast Feet still had 150s in 10.5 - enough for the guy to be offering 3 pairs for £60.

They're just about big enough, and I normally take a 10. Good job I had the '150 community' to advise me!

I have to say that the best fitting shoes I've ever had were Sauconys, based on their contour last. It's just a shame the Fastwitch, which uses this last, has a relatively high heel. Oh well, at 210g I know where to go if I find myself in need of a more cushioned racer...
  • John - to clarify: read Bryan's comment as 'land at the rear of the balls of your feet'. The alternative interpretation doesn't seem like a comfortable way of running!

Fast Feet don't seem to have their website up and running yet but they do telephone orders.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    SVT: And I thought I was extreme. I will have to get a pair of Puma H-Blues then!

;-)

How long did your NB150s last? My NBs take a right bashing. I remove the insoles so you can see the stitching inside. And then the missus cleans them in the Washing Machine. Yet the material has not frayed at all. If I can make the current pair last till autumn then I'll be most impressed.

I've got a pair of size 9.5 Gel Kayanos worn only once if anyone wants them?

JD: NB150s are useless off-road. I have a pair of Nike cross-country track-spikes instead. Zero heel.
  • I wear my 150s off road. Helps toughen up your feet.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    BR: I've used them for grass/gravel areas and that's fine. Would be impressed if you're able to run up and down muddy hills in NB150s?
  • I wear my 150s off-road too - no real problems.

And I can def say that my blue H Streets are lighter, lower and less supported than 150s
  • Depends how muddy - they are a bit slippery but there's not many runs where I find them a problem. Reccied my Barnsley Boundary route today and there should be no problem racing the hilly off road route in 150s.

It's all in the technique;-)
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Shoes...'ave yer all gone soft...Wot's wrong wi' good ole fashioned skin ?
  • You have skin??

When I were a lad...
  • NO skin on your Feet!?!!?

You had feet?!?!

When I was a lad me ol' man choppped 'em off to feed t' dog. We hobbled on stumps and we were grateful...
  • Bloody luxury. You had a dog! We couldn't afford the dog; we had to eat each others.
  • Eat???

You had teeth??!! Sheer bloody luxury. We sold ours to passing merchants so we could bury my grandma... (digging out the soil with our bare hands before you come back with `spade'??)
  • You 'ad a grandma? Dad et her before we turned up. Mind, we et Dad, so fair do's...
  • You 'ad a dad? It were just me on me own until I ate meself.

Okay, the pointless statistics you've all been waiting (weighting?!) for:

Puma H-Street - Blue: 115g
    Puma H-Street - Grey: 128g (must be that little bit of foam under the arch)
    New Balance RC150: 138g
    Nike Jarowe Waffle: 154g
    Teva Proton: 207g
    (all size 10, except the NBs in 10.5)

So that just goes to prove that the lightest shoes aren't necessarily the most responsive.
  • Good work SVT!

What about removing the insole from the NB150?
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    SVT: Dude! You ate yourself? Are the Blue and Grey HStreets with uppers made of soft fabric? Cos I saw some with leather uppers which probably weigh more.

URR: I was just thinking that! Though the insoles probably weigh a few grams at most.
  • And we have a tie:

Puma H-Street - Blue: 115g
    NB RC150 without insoles: 115g

Does anyone use them without insoles? The stitching looks like it could cause some nasty blisters...

nrg-b - those are both fabric H-Streets. As I said there is a subtle difference between the two pairs, namely the small foam arch support (if you could really call it support). I'm guessing the leather ones weigh quite a few grams more and aren't quite as suitable for running.
  • Always run in my 150s without insoles. No blister issues with the right (twin skin) socks.
  • You want ultra-lightweight? It's got to be barefoot then.
  • SVT - I have just got some Blue H Streets and, as you well know, have been running almost exclusively in 150s for around a year or more.

The H Streets seem lighter, lower and more flexible - I can really tell the difference.
  • I find it easier to run midfoot in the 150s personally. Would not race in the H-Streets, but just use them for the odd club run. The 150s on the other hand feel like slippers.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    SVT: I run in the NB150s with insoles removed. With insoles removed you get much more feeling of the terrain. I do wear thin socks to stop the feet getting sweaty.

Pantman: You can tell the difference of a few grams between shoes? You remind of the story of the Princess and the Pea ;-)
  • How does the flexibility of all these compare with Nike Free ? Doesn't flexibility make more difference to how a shoe feels than the amount or lack of cushioning ?
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    TMR: Both the NB150 and Puma H Street are just as flexible. The (lack of) cushioning under the midfoot area gives much more feel to the surface you're running on. With a thin sole, if you go around slamming your feet into the ground you'll soon know and your running form will adjust to make you run quieter/smoother. My recollection of the NikeFree was that the soles were a bit thick.
  • TmR - haven't found anything to touch the Teva Protons for flexibility (other than barefoot, of course).

I'm still trying out the different varieties of shoe at the moment, and have only done 4 miles each in the 150s and Protons. After a few more weeks I should get a good feel for which I prefer. Since November I've done almost all my running in H-Streets and have been pretty happy with them (but just wanted to check if there was anyhting better).

And I've raced in H-Streets but my recovery time was a little longer than I'm used to for a 10k. My thinking is that the 150s will serve me well on longer runs whereas the H-Streets, Jarowe Waffles and Protons are fine for my twice-daily 3.4 - 4 mile runs (don't laugh - it's the most consistent mileage I've ever done!).
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    SVT: Well Done, you're way ahead of me on consistency. Do you have access to a treadmill? I've included running barefoot on a tready for strengthening feet. I reckon it has helped me since all my runs are on concrete pavements.
  • nrg-b - no treadmill (comitted non-gym-goer and no spare room!). But I commute on foot - it's the easiest way to get the miles in for me. I'm going to try one day a week in the Protons for a while before I dare try barefoot on the concrete/tarmac.
  • Interesting point about recovery time, SVT. I raced my HM pb in the 150s and I 'should' according to my coach, recover quite quickly from it given my level of fitness. However my legs were completely mashed for 4 or 5 days. There were people who did the same race down at the club on the Tuesday after banging out 1k reps whilst I was shuffling 4 miles easy.

I also did a HM at marathon pace 4 weeks pre-FLM. It was the soreness in my legs after this training run convinced me to start this thread as I thought a marathon in the 150s might be a step too far.