Options

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly ..

I was wondering ... There are very good runners, good ones, average ones and the hopeless :)

How do you define (based on a result) a good running standard? For example, national class standard sub 30 for a 10k.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Difficult one really but taking a stab for a 10000m:
    Very good - sub 30 mins
    Good - 30-40 mins
    Average - 40+ mins
    Hopeless - non-triers

• Options
    thats s a broad range 30-40 mins for a 10k

the difference in ability between a 31 minute 10Ker or a 39 minute one is enormous.
  • Options
    Agreed, I guess it applies for the same by combining distances.

Sub 1:30 1/2m, Sub 40 10k, Sub 20 5k

Sub 80 1/2m, Sub 36 10k, Sub 18 5k

Sub 75 1/2m, Sub 24 10k, Sub 17 5k
  • Options
    Hmmm and what would that look like for women?
  • Options
    Not good enough probably!
  • Options
    Isn’t it more relative though – if you win you win and were the best on the day no mater your time, so it may be possible to say … at any given race

Top 10% Very Good
    Next 50% Good
    Next 40% Average
    Non Tries Poor
  • Options
    URR

Sub 24 10k???
  • Options
    For IQ tests

Only the top 2% are very good
    Then I think 18% is good
    Then 60% is normal mass
    Then you have the 18 % poor
    and finally 2% very poor
  • Options
    wildwill if your taking it as a percentage of finishers against position then surely everyone behind the bloke who came bang on in the middle of the field must be below average for that race.

So an all applying "how good was I on the day relative to the rest of the field" would look something like this maybe?

Top 10% - very good
    11% to 30% - good
    31% to 40% - above average
    41% to 60% - average
    61% to 80% - below average
    81% to 90% - poor
    91% to 100% - very poor
  • Options
    URR - I think those times are nearly spot on for the gold, silver and bronze levels I was on about last night.

There are tables to find the equivalent standards for vets and females.
  • Options
    Comparing yourself to the rest of the field depends on the race. Last night I was 4th out of 11 (over a third of the way down). At FLM last year I was in the top 1%. It's all relative.
  • Options
    jX

But i would never say that anyone that did the race was very poor

• Options
    following on from BR's post about standards for vets....

I remember running a race or two with age adjusted positioning (the grizzly?) so I guess their must be some sort of standardised formula to decide an age related handicap?
  • Options
    And then you have how you rate yourself against yourself as oposed to the rest of the world

Some one that is capable of a a 30min 10k does it in 34mins but Mr 45min runs a PB by 4mins and so on
  • Options
    JX - it is based on how near you are to the fastest recorded time by someone of that age. There are tables somewhere which I'm sure someone will have a link to.
  • Options
    from reading through these threads for a while wouldnt it be advisable to have your own targets as majority of people are only wanting to do better than last time etc . the % or times are quite off putting to the masses . me especially or perhaps im not as competitve as i could be??
  • Options
    Masters Track & Field Age Graded Tables at: -

http://jick.net/~jess/track/mtf/agt.html
  • Options
    i ll own the last statement of mine the midwife must of slapped both my mum and dad at birth...............lol
  • Options
    WillWestWill - 34 mins, I think

Sasjeh - Maybe something like:

80 mins half / sub 38 10k / sub 19 5k
    90 mins half / sub 43 10k / sub 21 5k
    100 mins half / sub 45 10k / sub 22 5k

Remember when I was a kid just about to learn swimming. The main motivation was to get a bronze standard, which was 200 meters in 8 mins in whatever style and a dive from the 1m board, silver was 400m in 16 mins, gold was 600m in 24 and included more variety, like a 15 meter dive, jump from 3m platform etc. Maybe something like that would be cool in Athletics. A lot of people get motivated by status symbols (mobile phones etc.) why not a basic standard?
  • Options
    JX - They used age grading for the Grizzly, which I think is not right. The age grading is based on roads or track events, using it for multiterrain very undalting course, doesn't sound right. However, it's one formula for categorising performances.
  • Options
    very good: National vest
    good: Area or County Vest
    average: everyone else
    ugly: Me
  • Options
    URR,
    Thats a really good idea. Something schools should adopt, fighting obesity etc.
    The Athletics Associations and Sports Council should take note. Look at the publicity Jamie Oliver has got for school diners.
  • Options
    Prom - It was great for motivation. Once you got your swimming pass/cert you got a sticker for your swimming kit as well. Check for how they look like. The first one is for girls/boys, with no pressure, they you would get one for competing in 3 fun runs. In the 60's they had another thing, which was ultra hard core, like swimming in cold water or a 2hrs endurance swim. Check those here with the skull. Anyway, I got all three bronze, silver and gold in a year, it was great to show them off during the summer :)

• Options
    When I were a lad(!) there was a star grading system for athletics with points awarded for diffenrt events.

I think there had to be a throw, jump and run plus a couple of floaters. I scored highly for the running and poorly for the rest.

Is it still around?
  • Options
    Isnt school swimming still compulsory in th UK, I'm sure it was when I was a lifeguard. If so why isnt running?
  • Options
    We had that as well, once a year there was a track & field meeting and you had to do a sprint, long jump and throw. However, it was always very hard to get the points together and I never made it beyond a bronze cert. No focus on endurance as well and in general is wasn't so popular. You only got a piece of paper not a sticker which could put on your tracksuit.
  • Options
    Maybe for general:

Kids

- 3 fun runs
    - relay

Bronze

- Finish a 10k

Silver

- Finish distances up to 1/2 marathon
    - Sub 60 mins 10k

Gold

- Finish 5k/5m/10k/10m/Half and marathon within a year
    - Run a 1/2 marathon sub 2hrs

Likely if you managed a gold standard you would possibly lookig for joinging in a club. Then the next scheme applies, with more ambitious times.
  • Options
    sorry, threads been dead for a while but it looks interesting :o)

Grumpity- when I was at primary school about 8 years back the system was the "ten step scheme" where you got points for each fun activity you did, I got "7 Step" lowest one in my class, most demoralising for a year 4. Year 5 and year 6 they had "5 Star" where you actually did all the different athletics events (furthest they'd let you run was 400m though, bit of an emphasis for the fast twitchers there) and got points for performance. Got "2 star" for this the first year and had to go and collect it in assembly which was very embarrasing as everyone else had done a lot better. Then the next year I got 3 Star which was a little better as not quite as embarrasing as some others had got it.

School sport at a primary level is very discouraging as it's either in athletics over short distances, games over a very short times or swimming again over a short distance. Total focus on fast twitch with complete ignorance for slow twitch. I was in a class of 30 in primary school, joined with the class of 30 for the year below. Out of the 60 or so who did it (and those who would have been wrose than me just managed to find excuses) I was the worst in the class. First year secondary school in a year of 150 I was on the athletics team and a county champion by year 11. By the second year of secondary school no-one else from my year was even competing at district athletics as they couldn't get into the school teams. In short- a lot of the time these systems don't work, encourage talent rather than hard work and have too much of a speed-focus.

URR's ideas are sounding a lot better. More focus on participation and less on performance. Those who turn up each week to train should be the priority for teams, not those who are the best, because let's face it, those who are the best aged 5-11 are hardly likely to be the best when we're looking for people to compete in the olympics are they?

As far as standards go you can't group together all runners from 30 minutes (e.g. potential international) to 40 minutes (good but not great).

sub 29- elite
    29-32- semi-elite
    32-35- Local champion
    35-38 Club Runner (in the old sense)
    38-42 Advanced Competitor
    42-46 Competitor
    46-55 Basic Competitor
    55+ Intermediate

Some of the terms I've borrowed from Bob Glovers books, don't think it's quite his boundaries though. Every one who manages to finish a race is a success though, the real "average" is the people who do nothing and you lot are all stars :o)
  • Options
    Bryn - really interesting post about schools encouraging talent rather than endeavour. I'll bear that one in mind. Sadly for many kids in this instant society, if they don't have the talent they won't work to achieve success, particularly at something like athletics, which is not put on a school performance table in the Daily Telegraph.

Your story is one of dedication and endeavour and you make a great role model for younger kids who enjoy taking part but think they'll never be any good.

(Which sub 35 did make you a local champion though)!