London Vs Boston

Who thinks LM is given too much attention. I thought that the Boston was the 'elite runners' marathon, so why is it barely mentioned here? Nobody wants to watch the Barnsley By- pass road race (made that up) when the Tour de France is on. I hate watching the LM on tele. Hour upon painful hour of watching people dressed up in stupid costumes. Yawn.

Surely a race where almost the whole field is class runners is better viewing? I saw it on Eurosport a few years ago. It's even got nicer scenery.

What do you think of Boston. Come on, let 'er rip!

Comments

• Well as this is the London Marathon thread it wouldn't be posted here anyway. Try events!
  • Well, aren't you clever. The computer asked for a topic, but they didn't have a 'Boston Marathon' drop down. This was the closest. What is your opinion RF?
  • Televisions have an off button!!
    And the BBC focus mostly on the elite runners anyway barring the few celebrities.

Have neither watched nor been part of Boston so cant compare but London is better than the TV portray
  • Don't get me wrong, I would love to do the London marathon. I've only just started up again, so didn't have time to prepare, or else I would have entered. I only watch the highlights program in the evening anyway. Appreciate your comments RF.
  • No problem Angel
    Get training and you will be spot on to enjoy it next year in all its atmospheric glory.
    Better still come and support us mere mortals and absorb some of the emotion. Will make you appreciate the whole day not what you see on the tv. the best bits they never show!
  • The thing that might put some off is that the US treats foreigners as criminals these days. You have to get fingerprinted when you go in.

From the elite point of view, does anywhere have a stronger field than London this year?
  • Isn't it really oversubscribed? I was gutted at being turned down for the GNR. It was the race which got me back into running. My whole year was going to be based around preparing for it. Booked time off work and everything. Guess I'll just have to go biking around Corsica instead.

Believe it or not, going to watch never occured to me. Where are the best places to go?
  • I wouldn't like it, but would still go. Much like the thing with Thailand. The number 1 place in the world I'd like to visit is Chiang Mai. I just have a fear that someone will hide drugs in my bag and I will be executed over it. Maybe not a fear- more of a strong concern. Still no reason not to do it though.

• there are lots of good view points depends on how early you get there and if you want to take in a few of the sights as well. But anywhere along the embankment or on the corner as we turn into the mall is good as is Tower Bridge. but you would need to get there quite early to get a good spot at the front.
    Come along and support me I dont have many supporters on the course I live too far away. My number is 36696 and I will be the idiot covered in Mr men figures and carrying a cuddly Mr Tickle
  • I hate your kind. Running is meant to be serious, head down stuff! Mr flippin Tickle indeed. I shave my head to save seconds.

I will look out for you, so long as you look out for me. I will be the 125, 075 th person you see, 8th row back, behind the tall bloke.
  • Ok will wave!
    And I am serious. I intend to try and run it next year in a Mr Men costume for my charity!! Cant get more serious than that!

Want to join me?
  • Do you mean next year? If so, then sure. Just give me an e-mail nearer the time & we'll meet up. nick.steddy@tiscali.co.uk
  • Well I would need to train carrying an extra stone so yes next year. Have your email address now saved in my address book and a note made in my calendar for December!!
  • Great. I will enter. 100% positive about that.

I am carrying 4 stone too much. It makes a difference. It used to be that I could go as fast as I wanted. All that happened was I slowed. Now I feel strain.

I have developed a sort of minimum movement running style. Really believe I can cut the times down when I lose it. Maybe a 2:30 marathon. Certainly sub 3. Would be 5-6 hours right now.
  • Well that is where I am right now so no shame in that. And would be that next year too if I am carrying all the extra weight of the costume too.
    Just read your profile and doing a triathlon appeals to me too! Which marathon are you doing in September?
  • The Kent coastal on September 4th. Just booked a room (making a few days of it) only meters from the start. Will be my first ever marathon. Already did a 1/2 in Feb (Wokingham). Runner number 387 if you want to have a laugh at the pics. The one with my jacket off is all happy and optimistic. The others are near the end. That is me dazed and confused. Just fell apart at mile 11.

Haven't done a triathlon yet. Could have done one in '87, but got talked out of it. I don't know about you, but I always think about the death bed scene (perhaps not ALWAYS), where I think about regrets. (My Grandad says he wishes he had gone to Italy in peace time.) I can't have that. I don't think I will regret the failures and mistakes. It's not trying that will do me.
  • I have a mission to try anything I really fancy at least once.
    I ran last years marathon because I wanted to do it before I was 40.
    Now I am always setting myself challenges. Running and work related and personal. Spent my childhood and early adulthood being told I couldn't. am now out to prove that I can. bring on the world!!
  • kinda into the same way of thinking as u the angel of death,i run off rd my self in the mountains where the views r wicked.the 1 reason i dont rip into the lm is the money it raises 4 charity,everyone 2 there own i suppose.
  • I can relate to that. Wasn't so much being told I can't- rather not getting support. My dad died when I was young and mum had her own stuff to deal with, so I'm not bitter or anything.

Did you know, there was a psyche profile done to determine what background would most likely produce a strong minded, independant thinking, balanced personality.

The group that came out on top wasn't having both parents, or divorced parents, etc.

It was a male, whose father died when he was 9.

There are loads of famous people who fit this profile. Hitler was one. I'm probably not QUITE as committed as he was though. No dodgy 'tash either :)
  • No saw that on the pic
    I didn't have parents that died or anything that awful just was sent to a boarding school at (wait for it) 9?!
    So I suppose I kind of grew up without any real parental input.
    don't know how balance I am though. Most people who know me think I am completely insane for taking on what I do
  • What do/ have you taken on? Do you mean sports?
  • Well I started running a few years ago having found I couldn't do a thing. Did a couple of 5ks then a 10k and decided to do last years flm. I am always now training for something. I was going to do a cycle ride from Rigate to Paris but that recently fell through.
    In work I take on whatever courses are going I am currently doing a Management Diploma condensed into a year as well as (for personal choice) the AAT Technician course final year having started in the middle as opposed to the foundation level (accounting). I have 2 horses 2 dogs 2 teenage boys and partner and am hoping to become a WRN leader as soon as my marathon is over. I also paint watercolours and am trying to do an exhibition in the near future.

Just love to be busy. Never see it as too much, am doing what I enjoy so its just me time!!
  • Wow, you sound like a busy bee. Have you ever thought of doing Everest (the mountain, not a guy). Apparently, the last bit is so hard that it is on the brink of human capability. There have been quite a few monks and spiritual folk who have done it. Anything which truely tests ones capabilities to the limit can have an enlightening effect. Full effort. I also remember seeing something on Sky a couple of years back about a Buddhist who did 1000 marathons in 1000 days. It was all trails as well. Steep hills- the lot. Didn't physically do him any favours, but he did it.

The Everest thing is the only physical accomlishment I am not positive I can do. There are over 800 people who have done it, but apparantly something like 1 in 5 people die. See what I mean about being on the limit of human possibility. Not sure if I can muster the courage to do something which might kill me for trying. It is the last thing on the list, so I'll have to see if I still feel like doing it nearer the time. £20K costs are also off putting.
  • Don't tempt me with the Everest thing!! erm the mountain not the guy! but 20k puts a damper on it. Don't mind a bit of risk I ride two freaked out horses!! And fall off regularly!!

Would love to do the Great Wall of China or something but might wait til the kids have left home! The partner might also have joined them by then!!

If you want to see how knackered (cold wet and hungry) I looked after last years FLM my number was 36159
  • I went of FLM website. Got your results up, but couldn't find a picture. What did I do wrong?

I could do the wall thing. Did you see "Long Way Round". Ewan Mc Gregor went round the world on his motorbike with a friend. Now that- I would love to do. That would be more like a holiday than a challenge though. I've skipped the pond a few times.

It's weird, but travelling is one of those situations where I can't seem to avoid having adventures. I'm going to Corsica for a fortnight, a couple of weeks after the marathon. It should be lovely at that time of year. Still warm, but no one will be there. No queues, cheaper accomodation, etc. Would like to do GR20 if I had more time. I don't think one trip to Corsica will be enough.
  • You need to go to the photos section or try
    www.actionphoto.net

I love travelling but havent been anywhere for a few years. Love to go to the out of the way non touristy places best.

Corsica sounds a great way to unwind. I will be running the race for life in Cardiff three weeks after London. didn't realise that when I entered. May sounded ages off!! lol
    The I have some late summer races planned August, September and October. Have to scout round and see if there is anything in betweeen though might use the time to improve my speed!
    Don't think I will be going anywhere this year either! Have to fit it round my running and riding now!
  • I haven't done all that much. Never left Europe at 31 years of age. Not real travelling. Just riding around on a bike. Used to fix cars, clean windows, etc, so I worked when I want. I would save up a grand or so, then just go off until I was down to my last hundred. Would sleep in quiet fields, parks, etc, to save money. Had a hotel every few days to wash clothes and bath. More of a vagabond than a traveller. Am trying to create a lifestyle where I am not job dependent, so I can travel.

Found your pictures. I thought you actually looked more wiped after you finished.
  • tried really hard to smile as I crossed the finished line but I have never been so cold and wet in my life and my knee was hurting from slipping in the wet early on.

Would love that sort of life style! Must remember to try to train my horses to pull a caravan then I could become a Romany gypsy and really enjoy life!! lol
  • I hate touristy places as well. I don't mind days at the beach an' all that, but I go in the week, when it's less crowded. I'm not the sort to fry in the day, get drunk at night and spend the morning regretting the night before. The only typical holiday I ever did was when I went to Yugoslavia with Mum & sis. That was 2 weeks of hell. The only nice bit was all the young topless ladies on the beach. Couldn't even really appreciate that. You can't when your mum's around.
  • Oooh. Painful. Did you ever see a film called "Point Break"? In it, 4 guys robbed 4 banks each spring to pay for a season of surfing. All calculated. When the watch alarm went off, they left- no matter what. That really appealed to me. I tried to get something like that together with some friends. One of them ended bottling it, so we never did it. Talk about dark periods in your life. I am thankful that I never did it. It couldn't have ended well, even if we got away with it.

I have absolutely no idea what made me think of that. Or say it.