Nike Free

Comments

• Any idea how long these are designed to last? I know they normally say 500 miles for trainers, but would these last as long seeing as they dont have much cushioning?
  • Just thought I ought to let everyone know, the heel bit has split on one of mine.

It's a bit disappointing that they aren't a little more robust, but I have to say it won't stop me wearing them all the time, and running in them when I'm on the roads, as the split bit doesn't seem to have any structural significance. I have to say though that it seems as if this weak mesh piece is the Nike Free........I really am sorry...........achilles heel.

RFB, I got an email regarding my designed ones the other day saying that their arrival was imminent, so I wait with baited breath.
  • HTA: mine have done 550 miles so far & are still going strong, although I have had a change of insole (thanks to sensible). ecause there's no cushioning to break down, you can just keep hem going 'till they fall apart.

MM: when did you place your order?
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Mine are coming with me to the gym today for a 2 mile test run on the treadmill. Not sure if this defeats the point of the shoe (treadmill rather than road, shoes rather than barefoot...?!) but I chickened out of the 4 mile run round town with them...

I kind of wish I hadn't mentioned the material heel thing - it doesn't sound like it is going to last very long... whah!!
  • I like the sound of shoes I can keep running in till they fall apart.

7 miles in mine last night without a twinge :o) I took a route which includes a lot of grass verges, and felt more stable in the Frees than I did in my 2080s.
  • RFB, sometime around May 9th. So it looks like we are just about on schedule.
  • Ok so i'm hooked...

Sounds like I should wear these to work to strengthen my feet and ankles.

But, and don't get the wrong idea here, will I be able to get the purple ones in a size 11?? They are just the coolest looking thing I have seen for ages - all the blokey colours are dull!
  • ...and what will that do to the anatomy of my foot???
  • What will wearing purple Frees do to the anatomy of your foot?

Probably quite a lot of damage when some stroppy git stamps on your foot while he's calling you a f***ing ponce.

It's Not For Boys. The purple ones are OURS!

;o)

• So then, are these 'ere shoes suitable for peeps who pronate quite a lot?? Would I be able to run in them in the end?
  • Oi veloci - aren't you 'ladies' already used to padding around barefoot?

(I won't add...whilst pregnant!)

Having lit fuse I now retreat to safe distance - perhaps the far side of Jupiter.

;0) - wets himself laughing!
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    I have mine on in work to wear them in ...very comfy cant wait to run in them:-)

Simon

you can design your own colours if you so want Purple;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    I think the whole concept of these is a bit girlie.

I mean you wouldn't get a REAL man running in such flimsy footwear would you?
  • but the nike id site - which got me very excited - only goes up to a 9.5.

Needless to say this is one area where I seem to be larger than average!

Still will do some designing for the hell of it before buying a boring coloured pair! (once I've convinced the wife of the need)
  • fraggle, the idea is that you overpronate because your feet are weak, so once you have strengthed them walking and on very short runs, you will no longer overpronate. But you will proabably have to take more care getting used to them than s-o with a neutral gait.

Greeny, a REAL man wouldn't be seen dead in any sort of shoe. Surely needing protection on your feet is the height of sissy-ness!
  • Simon, you need to order a US size 12
  • Ah - did I miss the obvious there - thanks HTA
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Well you have a point there, Roo...

I don't understand the concept though.
    How does walking in floppy shoes correct your tendency to pronate? Surely it just exacerbates the problem?

I would be interested in a Podiatrists view.

• They are only floppy in the sense of having the flexibility similar to that of your feet. Assuming they fit your feet snuggly, they should move in the same way as your feet. The theory is that wearing shoes all our lives has ruined our natural gait and foot strength, and this causes gait problems, and presumably that no-one who walks barefoot all their life overpronates or has any such biomechanical problem (??). Cerainly they say that the African runners who start off barefoot have far fewer lower leg/foot injuries.

However, I have recently heard a biomechanist questioning whether our feet do actually do the same as the shoes ie they may still be moving differently from natural, inside the shoe.
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Roo - I remain a little sceptical however.

Have to admit though they seem to be getting a great deal of positive feedback on this thread so I could be wrong!
  • I know my feet aren't doing quite the same thing inside the Frees as they would without any footwear at all. I do notice the bulk of the heel when I'm running. But my toes and midfoot are working a lot more, and I don't seem to supinate in them (I'm a bit lopsided - neutral on the right, supinate heavily on the left) and I've had overuse injuries in conventional running-shoes so I'm only too happy to try something completely different.
  • Greeny,

If you support an area, it gets weaker, if you exercise it, it gets stronger.

This is the concept behind Free. If the shoe does not allow the muscles of the foot to work as they were designed, then they will atrophy, which is what has happened to our feet over the years. By wearing a shoe that allows the foot to function as though it is barefoot, we are re-awakeneing these muscles and strengthing the foot.

It should be noted that these shoes are not dersigned "correct your tendency to pronate". Pronation is natural and an important part of a neutral footstrike because it is a cushioning mechanism. For someone who over-pronates, then it becomes an injury mechanism and that is why this type of runner will look to wear a shoe that is designed to manage pronation by 1)reducing the velocity of; 2) limiting the degree of; or decreasing the duration of pronation.

The midsole of a running shoe is there to help protect us from impact forces by reducing the loading rate of the impact (the rate at which the force is applied to the body). However, the thickness of a midsole lifts the heel bone off the ground, which causes a lever arm effect when you land on the lateral heel of your running shoes, as many people do, which throws the foot / shoe onto the medial side, so increasing the rate of pronation.

By increasing the amount of flexion in the midsole through its siping pattern, the Free allows the foot to act as if barefoot and slowly pronating through the footstrike, rather than being thrown into pronation too quickly.The fact that you are asking more of your feet is why we are reccomended to ease them into our training schedules - not to start running in them from day one. The distance you can run in them will depend on your own individual foot and biomechanics - one of my friends has run his first marathon in his Frees (3h02m), although I think it will be a long time before my rugby feet go past 5 miles in them!
  • I would also be interested in hearing a podiatrists views on them as well...
  • yeah i have some, i got them initially just for a change, intended to where them sometimes and wear my other trainers at other times but i like them so much i only ever train in my nike frees
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your comments Go Pro, velociraptor.

I guess I'm sensitive on this issue because I do overpronate and wear orthotics to sort this out. I assume that this would definitely not be the shoe for me.

• Just as a point of interest though...

What is the difference in the anatomy of a male and female foot that Nike allude to in their advert on the web?
  • Greeny,

From what I understand, there would be no problem with you using the Free as a training aid. However, if your feet are used to being supported by orthotics, then it is logical to assume that your feet are on the weak side. You should therefore make sure you gradually incoporate the Free's into your training schedule.

I think the key thing is that everyone's feet will adapt to Free at a different rate. Some people may never be able to run 5 miles in them - I don't know. However, even if you cannot, your feet will still benefit from the additional training / conditioning they are receiving through wearing the Nike Free anytime they do.
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Go Pre.

The thing is, I have 'naturally' flat feet. This shoe may strengthen my foot, but it won't reshape it into having an arch, (or will it?) therefore when I run I will still be overpronating. The problem I was getting because of this over pronation was a pain in my knee. Since the orthotics, (specifically constructed by a Podiatrist) no problem at all. So I'd be reluctant to have no support in case the knee problem manifested itself again.

Sorry, am I being a bit slow here? I still don't see how, for my particular running style, this shoe would benefit me.
  • Greeny,

The thing to remember is that you would not be replacing your training shoes + orthotics with the Nike Free. You would still be doing the vast bulk of your miles in your current footwear.

Using the Nike Free for you would be similar to using a Swiss Ball. Runners use these balls to strengthen the muscles of their trunk to improve their core stability. You can use the Nike Free to strengthen the muscles of your foot.

I have spoken to some runners who do not use their Free for running at all, but instead wear them during the day at the office, so that they are exercising their feet during their day.

The other factor to bear in mind is that your orthotics will have been designed to support your feet through a shod footstrike; that is a footstrike while you are wearing shoes. The foot behaves differently when running barefoot. This is why populations that naturally run / walk barefoot do not experience the multitude of over-pronation related injuries that you will find in countries such as the UK.

For me, the bottom line is that the Free shoes will strengthen your feet, which will benefit every runner.
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Right, I think I'm beginning to understand the point now, thanks.

I'd still like to hear from any podiatrists out there...