Women & Cars

Comments

• now my motorbike on the other hand..

MUST be very shiney

else there is no "pose" factor

;-)

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    My neighbours cut the grass. I used to have a washing up fairy. No car so can't wash it but my bicycle well it's a muddy colour anyway. I'm in the 'you can't see dust after the first few years' school of thought.
  • Yep - I'm with you lok - car is a sh*t heap, cheap reliable and hasn't been cleaned since 2002.

Gives me more time and money to spend on bike and leathers......
  • unfortunately my bike is permanently covered in sh!te, too. and my leathers don't get much TLC.
  • it used to be blue
  • and it took me about a week to decide whether to go for the blue one, the reddy/winey coloured one or the grey and black one. dunno why i bothered. its now black.
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Was perusing motorbikes down at Box Hill recently. I think there was only one with any dirt on it at all. Perhaps if houses went brmmmm and had shiny bits then men could keep them clean and tidy too?
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Scampers off quite quickly.
  • Mines mostly blue - but does have nice brown splashes up the sides. Bloody weather. Still, Bank Holiday this weekend, so will be clean and shiny once more!

BTW Womble, my house is clean and shiny....trying to sell it! Ha ha!
  • Womble, I think you've hit the nail on the head...

• I've got Pledge wipes- but only use them on my bike, the house, car etc never gets a look in. It is a box for moving people and things around, that is all.
  • Get an Audi, they don't 'do' dirty. Unlike cheap Ford, Peugeot,etc, Tuut.
  • There's no point where I live in trying to keep your car nice, mine had so many scratches on the outside, and someone hit the front of it and drove off, that keeping it clean inside seemed pointless
  • I don't clean the car that often, however, I DO check the oil, water and tyres weekly. Wether you're male or female, this is what you should do. Oil protects your engine, and it protects you from repair bills of several thousand pounds. Tyres are the ONLY thing that keeps you on the road. If they are pressured incorrectly or bald, you have an increased risk of an accident, you also use more fuel.

Frankly people who don't check these things are stupid. I'm sorry to be blunt but it's true.

• Also learn how to check your car over Yugguy. A car can dump it's oil very quickly if it has the right leak. It's easy to do- just get someone to show you and do it as you check the levels.

Once a week is overkill. Every 2-4 is fine.
  • Don't worry, I grew up repairing my Dad's cars and then my own. I still prefer to do stuff like changing brake pads rather than letting ThickFit do it, although these days I get someone else to do the oil changes, saves getting the drive filthy and then taking the old oil to the tip. As I do oil changes every 6k I'd be messing about a lot.
  • 'Drive filthy'!!!, 'taking it to the dump'!!!!

Mate, what you like???

Position car over drain and remove sump plug. Nice and easy ;)
  • Obsessive about my motor. Won't park it near other cars, on the side of the road, under trees, lamposts.....
  • I bet you object to people driving on 'your' road as well?

So, if someone parks near you, do you knock on their door and ask them to move?

Put up some details and a pic. Come on, I wont bite.

Oh alright, I will bite- gently :-)
  • My car is filthy and I don't care! It's old, and it gets me from a to b. That's it's function.

My fiance's car, on the other hand, is usually spotless, inside and out. It's an Audi, so as someone else said, it doesn't do dirty! Except when we use it to tow trailer and horse to a show, then I take great delight in getting in it with muddy boots and watching how agitated it makes him, he he!!! Can't do it too much though otherwise he would refuse to tow trailer to shows for me.

The other entertaining factor about fiance being at horse shows is that it gets him dirty too, and he is anal about having clean hands (unless dirt on hands comes from car or aeroplane, then that's ok). I found it very amusing when we were about to set off one day, I walked horse into trailer and he put breeching bar up behind horsey, and was so focussed on getting the bar up quickly that he didn't look at it before he picked it up, and managed to grab hold of the one bit of it that had horse poo on it! Oh, I did larf! Poor bloke!
  • Angel of Death - if you didn't already know it (& I do hope you were joking)that's illegal. Besides being also v bad for the environment.

When I used to drive, I checked the pressure on my tyres, oil and windscreen wash once a week. Religiously.

I'd say approx 90% of cars (if not more) have the wrong pressure tyres. And it's so easy to check IF you can find a garage (I used to use my local Safeway) which has good facilities.
  • Or easier still to check if you buy one of those foot pumps with the pressure gauge built in from Halfords, like wot I have got!

And I'm not a dim blonde silly woman, I know how to do a basic service on my car. But I pretend that I don't know how to change the oil as I don't like that job, it's messy, so I get t'other half to do that.

Do my own spark plugs and air filter though.
  • Toria- Nobody has ever complained about me dumping oil down the drain before???...

...although maybe they were preoccupied with my tyre fire in the back garden?

Was a mechanic many moons ago. Agree that 90% of tyre pressures are wrong (always underinflated). Also, 1/2 of spares on 3+ year old cars are either illegal or flat. 1 in 5 cars has a nail in at least one tyre (bet you didn't know that one) and about the same for having at least one bulb not working.

If you use a foot pump, overinflate, then check with a pencil type gauge. The ones on the footpump are innacurate. Garage ones are VERY innacurate.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Low profile - you are really Mr Nessie in disguise aren't you?

• Thanks for the tip AoD, didn't know that!
  • If you think changing plugs on a car is bad, you should try doing them on a bike. I had to take the tank, radiators, fairing, coils, etc, etc all off- before I could even see the things. It's a 1-2 hour job.
  • I never said I thought it was bad, it's quite easy actually - unless they are stuck, in which case I hand tools over to fiance and let him struggle with it!

Serves you right for liking bikes, you should have a horse instead. They just need feeding and routine maintenance like shoeing and the dentist, which other people get paid to do for you!
  • I like horses...

..with a nice side salad ;)

Only kidding :)

I love bikes, but I hate the hassle of fixing them, etc. Would pay double for a bike which never needed any work doing to it. Suppose I could live with putting fuel in.
  • I do all the checkng stuff, the cleaning is cosmetic though I do it once in a while, I do it less than the important maintenance though.
    Not much point spending too much money on cosmetic imrovemments when I have blokes drive into me then drive off, drive over plastic bags which write off the whole car, I've given up on the perfect motor and just want one that goes. Which mine doesn't at present as the fuse box has burnt out, arse.
    In any case the back windscreen wash that gives you a shower inside the car is one of those idiosynchratic things that are endearing in a car.