London 2006

Comments

• champagne i am not convinced more miles are the answer ,,i have done some ultra stuff this year and become slower because of it ,,my coach has me doing k sprints with a 90 sec recovery these are done at full pace ,,one week i do a long run the next week is speed stuff like this and both slowly build up ,,i do other stuff as well but these are the key sessions for the week ,,not to be missed and done properly ,,hope that helps
  • Glad to hear I'm not the only one battling with charming locals sometimes. In Scotland we call them neds, at home with my parents in Surrey we call them Garys. No offence to anyone called Gary, but that's what they all seem to be called down there. And they drive around Guildford in their souped up Japanese imports. Wearing baseball caps (just).
  • Champagne
    Good result, massive PB.
    Sounds like you could have got 3:40 with more even pacing, so 3:30 for FLM should be on the cards!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Like the new name 200, but dont give up on 90...
  • Champagne, very good result on your PB.

AA, enjoy your 20 mile training run plus 10k race in NY, I'm sure you will get a sub 3:30.

It's been a long time I know, now where have I put my running shoes.
  • Hi there guys & gals, can I join your forum please.Keep reading your tales of succes and struggles and feel inspired but have never plucked courage to enter discussion.

Have run FLM 3 times but never quite got 3.30. Eagerly awaiting end of month to see if I am succesful in ballot though not hopeful as I was last year
  • Hi CD, oh, so close with 3:33, you're BOUND to do it this time! Fingers crossed for the ballot
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Welcome CD, Im also waiting for a position in the ballot......, 3:30 is always a possibility, but then reality bites back, that when we have to start to fight back, haven't managed that yet though.....

Enjoy:-)
  • Hi all

Back from a few days in Yorkshire - 220 miles driving each way has left me shattered - managed a 50 minute run with my Mum though!

Hip aching, so glad to be back homw where I can rest and ice!!

RFJ, 3h40 is my PB (hit 3h40 twice within 10 seconds!) - I'm not sure if I'll crack it in New York, but I'm aiming high - so, if, like you, I'll aim for 3h 30 but a new PB would do just fine!!

I was scared of setting off too fast in London this year, and ended up setting off too slow and leaving myself with too much to do!

11 days to go...
  • Now back in the land of cheap plonk and smelly cheese. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

200 minutes - I think I could have done 3h40 on Sunday, but once I'd realised I couldn't make 3h30, I just settled for anything under 3h45. I won't be doing FLM next year (what am I doing on this thread? you wonder), but the Yorkshire 3 Peaks. I also plan on doing the 2 Oceans marathon in S.Africa in spring 2007, so see you in 2008!!

AA - it is nice to rest. I can now eat the stuff I'd been depriving myself of for the last few weeks. I can't see how spending time in Yorkshire can be shattering, more like invigorating!

RFJ - when do you find out the ballot results? Xmas time? I reckon that if I want to run in under 3h30 I need to get my 10k and 21.1k times down to under 40' and 1h30 respectively. That would allow me to set off faster in a marathon and give me a bit more leeway when I inevitably start to fade at the end. Are you thinking something similar? Now getting those times down is easier said than done.

George - thanks for the advice. The next few months will be spent trying to get ready for the 3 Peaks, i.e. hillwork, which will improve my stamina, but just doing hills cn slow you down too, so I plan on doing some "speed"work too.

Venice marathon is very well organised and I'd thoroughly recommend it. If you're someone who thrives on spectator encouragement (as I do), then only the last mile or two in Venice itself have a lot of crowds (plenty of British tourists who spotted my union jack shorts). Otherwise it's just you and 5,999 other runners. The first few miles are a very gradual downhill, but there are some unwelcome climbs around the 18th mile I could have done without. Crossing the long 'Liberty bridge' to get to Venice just goes on forever, whilst the 13 bridges over the canals in Venice are quite fun really.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    You're all doing so well it puts me to shame.

However, determined not to be beaten by injury, asthma and the lack of daylight I have purchased a treadmill.

Any tips, advice on offer? Rather than replace any outdoor runs, I want to use it to fit in an extra couple of runs per week and also do a bit of speed training on it.
  • Hey, Champagne! BIG BIG congratulations to you. Venice sounds great - definitely on my to do list. Eighteen minutes is a big chunk off your PB and there's more to come, I'm sure!

I've found that more mileage and slowing the pace in training worked for me. Most weeks were 50-55 miles total and 60 was my max, 4 weeks out from race day. I broke my 16-weeks down into 4x4-week blocks, each with a specific aim; only the final 4 weeks was for speedy track stuff.

Introducing a faster mid-long weekly run of up to 15-miles in addition to the long run definitely helped my endurance on the day because I only ran 3x20's for Cardiff compared to 5x20+ for London.

But that's just me - you might find a better, different way to suit you. I think you're definitely right about aiming high, though - building up the self-belief's even harder than logging the miles, I reckon.

AA - how you doing?
  • T&TM, had headaches all last wekk...
    Managed a decent 6x800 session on Saturday, and now my hip's killing me, so not run since a gentle 50 mins on Tuesday.
    Had the same problem right before london this year, so icing like a goodun, but wishing I could get some proper speed sessions in over the last 2 weeks but its not gonna happen I don't think! What do you suggest? 10 days to go!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    AA - youll be fine, when tappering I feel everything is going wrong, every little twist or turn seems more painful, Im sure you will be okay, you CAN DO IT, and YOU WILL ACHIEVE....... take care and rest and taper well....

My rest is now well and truely over, I am determined to work hard on the back of this Mara, it took over 12 weeks last time to go out for over an hour last time, cracked that one alrady with a fastish 9m yesterday in 1:07. Havent yet start on the speed, that will come next week hopefully.

My aim is not to let my milage drop below 30 miles a week from next week unless tapering for a race.....

Good to see you posting TTM, went to the cottage on Tues night for the cup:-( same for you I believe, you must be happy though AA.........
  • I'm in my £30.00 cheque has been cashed this morning, now will think long and hard about my training program.

Good luck to everyone who has entered.
  • RFJ, well done on your recovery!!
    My hip is feeling a bit better today - plenty of rest and ice seems to have helped. I'll try and get out for a threshold run tomorrow, but nothing too long - I don't want to risk anything now.

GM, congrats on getting in!!

Off to watch the Royals take on Leeds tomorrow - no sign of Swayer.....!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    AA, Hes still on the bench I believe (but if they win on sat no doubt there will be a post)........

Congrats Geoff, hope to join you soon on that one.
  • Look slike I'm not in on the ballot, but will try for a club place and I've got a charidee one if required.

Just have to take those extra 8 minutes off and get a GFA for the year after...
  • Hello all - looks like Lady Luck has smiled on me. London cheque has been cashed :-)

AA - you could maybe try some controlled but quick 200m reps with walk recoveries? I did 8x200m sessions during the two weeks before Cardiff and they weren't so tough that it was a struggle, but tough enough to sharpen that last little bit. Hope the hip behaves itself. Keep on icing!

RFJ - think it's a blessing in disguise being knocked out. Think it'll get quite messy down the bottom of the table this year. I imagine someone will go down with a record number of points again...

Haven't managed to run for over a week. Work has been very busy and I'm in the process of buying a house with the T&TLady (and the legal to-ing and fro-ing is starting to do me in!).

Rest will prob do me good though - I'm heading out the door on Sunday come rain or shine!

Have a good weekend all.
  • Looks like out of luck in ballot as chq not cashed. Will also hope on club place or have to face the golden bond route.

Which is harder, Running marathon or raising money??
  • Raising money, I reckon!
  • I'll be runnign for PHAB, Cornish - £950 needed, but work match £ for £, so £475 isn't too horrendous. Managed £635 without too much bother last year. Mind you, Swayer raised something well into 5 figures - inspirational chap.
  • I have already registered with BHF, I think they need £1500 but runners world listing puts them in a no minimum catagory??Work will match give but to £400 max so still a lot of work.

Do I do Paris instead??
  • You might be surprised how generous people will be, Cornish. Paris is very good as well, though in a different way.

AA - if you use iTunes/have an iPod, in the Podcasts section there's some audio from Runner's World U.S. talking all about the race, the course, what to expect, tips etc etc. It's worth subscribing to if you can - think you'll like it.

Oh, and for anyone else interested there's also a Podcast called 'Phedippidations' by a guy calling himself Steve Runner which is basically rambles of==from the mind of a distance runner, much of which is actually recorded during his weekly LSRs. Has its moments.
  • ...the race I'm referring to is the NY Marathon, obviously! :-s
  • All

I am in through the ballot but I reckon I will have to settle for 3:40 this year.
  • I did not make the ballot so that means rotterdam/paris/Zurich or maybe I will be lucky again with club place

well done to all that got places:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • I'm relieved that I got my GFA as I bet I wouldn't have got in. Missed out 4 times in the ballot before becoming determined to get a GFA.

Mr Caterpillar has missed out on his second go so looks like I'm doing this one on my own but at least I get to go from the Green start.

Worksop Half tomorrow but extremely demotivated at the mo so don't know what sort of time I'll do it in.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow Caterpillar girl.

I've got a GFA entry too - the green start is the best!
  • 3.30 or bust
    mate now is not the time to let your mind be playing tricks on u
    how bout thinking ,,hey i wood like to run 3.25