As another year comes to a end....

Comments

• Following on from outrunningalongway's post and being a sad soul, I've just been through my log adding up the time I've spent running this year. It's taken me about 148 hours to run my 800ish miles.

The longest run was FLM which took me 4.58.01. The fastest was a 5 mile race in 45.48.

So, considering I started the year running at about 11m/m and finished at 9.15m/m, next year I should have more time to do other things - or run more miles!
  • And congratulations to your mum too!
  • I've just looked back through my log and seen that I've speeded up too. Averaged 1.44 for 1/2 marathons which is a good 2 to 3 mins quicker than 2001. 10ks average nearly 2 mins quicker too.
  • My records don't always refer to distance, as I've been concentrating on "time on my feet", but I've gone from 16 minutes per miles in October to 10 minute miles yesterday. In August I could walk up and down mountains for 6 hours, but couldn't run 100 yards. I reckon that's progress.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    You've all demonstrated why it's good to keep training logs. Not only do they show any improvements that we make, they're also excellent to look back on if injury appears and help us not to make the same mistake again.

I got out my first ever training diary and it's amazing the improvement and change that running has given me. Some of my entries were to make it round a 2 mile circuit without stopping. I'd actually forgotton those runs. Yes, I believe it does us good to look back occasionally.

• My log shows loads of 8 k runs early on in the year
    But they were on the tready, flat
    Now i run outside , or on an incline
  • I only started keeping a training log in April, since then I have run just over 1,000 miles. I have done 3 half marathons, 1 10 mile race, 6 10ks and one 5k. Aiming for a PB in all the mentioned distances and thinking of doing an Autumn Marathon if my achilles tendon will let me.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    This year I should just scrape in 2000 miles, currently at 1,977.

Total time spend running - 240:27:05

Average pace - 7:18

Average HR - 144 (83% MHR)

Biggest weekly mileage - 63 miles

Longest run - 28 miles (FLM + warm up and cool down)

Total calorific expenditure - Now that would be sad!
  • I couod add mine up, im THAT sad
    but wont post it
    Cos then you will all know ive eaten more than that and have lost NO weight:(
  • Drew, I spot an Excel user!

Another question related to training logs; does anybody make allowances for offroad miles?

I tend to log the actual number of miles, but off road/fell running is a damn sight harder (that means slower!) for the equivalent no of miles. So an alternative way of recording that could be to note HR and the amount of time - say a route I often do in 1.5 hrs is actually only about 8 miles; but for marathon training purposes I should maybe count it as 10.5 miles which is what I might run on the road at 70% hr in that time.

Alternatively I should maybe get a life instead of obessing over this kind of minutea??
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Well spotted Laura and I still can't believe you're 36!

I do make allowances when using the treadmill on a steep incline. Tend to base the distance covered on my average HR as I've a graph showing average HR's and paces over different types of terrain.

Tend not to do it for off road as I don't do enough of it.

My main focus is on time spent running rather than mileage.

I'm still working on Ron Grover's EI FFFF PPPP index stuff for next year's log as I think this could be very useful.
  • Running logs are great - I was storing mine on computer, but managed to lose it when I had to reinstall windows after a problem. This was really annoying, as I was using it (amongst other things) to compare my progress up the mileage with last year, as well as times.

Laura - I think a lot of runners are quite obsessive people. I also stick my miles into a spreadsheet so that I can get a graph, and my running buddy JR even gets out Ordinance Survey maps so that he can find out the exact climb/descent on a run. He also has a graph of FLM times versus temperature, and the correlation is pretty clear cut!

I'd be interested in something that takes into account "toughness" of run - the usual club run is pretty hilly, and I'm sure 22 miles on that route is harder than 22 on the flat. Is that what Ron's index is about? Guess I could read the thread but it's getting to Lord of The Rings proportions!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Drew, that's an impressive log you have there.

Off road running I tend to go for time on my feet, unless it's on a coastal path where there are normally some distance markers-how accurate.....

I really want a SDM, but they are too expensive. I'm one of those people who waits for the price to drop. Mind if I could afford it, I suppose I'd pay £200, but I can't.
  • I think mileage should be concentrated in the winter with longer slow runs and then shorter faster ones in the summer.But what point is doing heavy mileage ? Maybe it is just a mental fixation ?
  • went out and did 4.2 miles this lunchtime to get the 1000 miles in for the year!

sad or what!! - but given i had three months off for injury, not too bad and as result i probably have the best "base going into the marathon training that i've had at any year end
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good on you Wolf with Runs! Sad, well you and a thousand others, but who cares!
  • Iain - I'd put my mileage onto a spreadsheet if I knew how to do it!

Laura - Interesting point about off road miles, I'd never really thought about it yet do probably 40% - 50% of my total miles off road. It only really hits home how much more effort is needed when I do a longish X country race. Feels a bit like cheating though to increase the mileage to me.

Wolf - I did 9m yesterday to pass the 1600 mark, so if you're sad I'm obviously equally sad.

Helen - For me the point of doing heavy mileage is 1. I enjoy it and 2. I need to do it training for a Spring marathon.

Hilly - Hello again! SDMs do look like magic little toys but I can't bring myself to part wit that amount of cash when we need a new bedroom carpet!
  • Gosh, I'm incredibly lax about keeping a training log but I can tell you I've done 23 races this year, managed my first marathon, cracked 50 mins for a 10K & sub 2hr for a half. New Year's resolution: keep a consistent log throughout the year & not just when I'm training for a specific race.
    PS, Mr has just mentioned over dinner usefulness of a satellite navigation, time & distance measure to aid with his sailing. This shows promise, he is definitely a gadget man - may get SDM in future!
  • Outrunningalongway your comment regards to us slow runners being on their legs for longer was perfect, thank you, it is quite frustrating when your legs just will not run as fast as your head is telling them. I ended this year probably averaging only 20 miles a week, but those 20 miles take me a long time to run, so next year, I will keep a training log, and do some more speed work.
  • My running records for this past year have only been red ticks on my calendar, but all of you Excel users have inspired me - I'm going to design a nice spreadsheet to use as a log for 2003. And hopefully, this will be another motivator.

You're all such a fantastic bunch, thanks for all the running (and random) talk.

Hildy
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I think SDM's should now be half price, don't you guys? They've been about long enough to justify a sale.
  • I think SDM's should be given out as free gifts for us loyal forumites!

It's now high time I deserted this computer and got down to some serious drinking, so that I can run it off tomorrow!

Happy New Year, folks.
  • 1500 miles running - had 2 months not running.
    3000 miles cycling - been slacking a bit!
    276 Km swimming - whatever that is in miles!
    70 weights sessions (approx 1 hour long)
    Happy new year everybody !!!
  • Added mine up.
    Total for 2002 = 952 miles
    Average: 18.3 per week.
    Did one half marathon, one full marathon and GSR. Want to make 1500 this year and beat those times from '02.
  • All interesting stuff! I became a sad spreadsheet bod last year too...

Miles: 1086
    Average per week: 21 (including 12 weeks injured)
    Heaviest week: 50
    Lightest week: 0 (obviously!)
    Time: 169 hours
    Average pace: 9:20/miles (I think)
    Average speed: 6.43mph (I think)
    Races: 7 (2 marathons, 2 half-maras, 3 10Ks)
    Hours spent washing stinky kit: loads
    Money spent: waaaay too scary to work out!
  • Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Miles : 727
    Average per week 14 (had 3 x 1 month complete breaks)
    Total time spent running 99.5 hours
    Average pace 8:20 miles

Races : 1 x Marathon, 3 x Half Marathon, 3 x 10k, 1 x 7M

I fully intend to double this (if not more) in 2003. Happy running folks.
  • Sadly I have to report that for years now I've only kept sporadic records, and some of those got chewed up by junior wolf cub!
    I really have no idea how many miles I've done - and I do 99% of running training in very hilly forest. Winter biking is done on an indoor trainer or mountain bike, summer on the roads, swimming is mostly in a pool with some lake work in summer.
    My diaries tend to show specific periods of training only, such as buildup for a marathon or Ironman, interspersed with weeks of no entries at all.
    I don't obsess over mileage. Someone asked on another thread how many miles I've run in my 42 years of running and racing - I don't have a clue and couldn't begin to guess. I think because I have been at it for so long, I have a good feeling for what I need to do. I've also learned to listen to my body.
  • Oh, and I forgot, may you all run in sunlit forests!

One of my all-time favourite salutations.
  • Hilly,you come up with very interesting topics.
    Total miles running = 650
    Time running = 90hrs
    Races=20 races- FLM, 5x1/2s, 7x10k and 7x5k.
    Now I have joined my local running club I feel I will do a lot more running this year, possibly 1200 ? though probably still around 20 races of various distances.
    Brian