Girlie cycling advice

NessieNessie ✭✭✭
So should I go for the pink bike, or the lilac one?

Ok, now the lads have gone - is vaseline-commando-chamois the way to go, or is there a better way to remain comfortable on the bike?

[eyes water at the memory of first long cycle of the year]

Comments

• Always commando, if you've got chammy, then for gods sake keep it clean and get some softening cream (most padding is non shammy these days anyway), and (NO, really, this one was given to me by a professional and international female cyclist), *ahem*, trying to put it as delicately and inoffensively as possible...

Shorn.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    can't see it's any difference between male and female comfiness in all honesty........we all suffer similar problems.........

and DON'T use vas beforehand - it will make you slide about more which is what you don't want.......
  • Crafty Nessie - crafty.

Yup - always commando. As VPL under cycling shorts is a fashion no-no.

I don't bother with the cream for the chamois, but sometimes some vaseline if its a long ride.
  • Spose the chamois doesn't go crunchy if you wash it regularly.

Can't say I ever investigated...
  • Shorn?? What totally?? Really????
  • Intriguing thread.

I cant think of an example of a lilac bike.
  • Lol, I knew I'd regret that one...

She swore by it.
  • Blimey - and I thought trimming my nails so I didn't damage my wetsuit was a step too far in the name of triathlon!!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Actually FB, there is a difference in that the *most* delicate bit can get chafed if in contact with the wrong material. <shudder> I'm sure I've used vaseline in the past and it's helped - I must move more in the saddle than I'm supposed to. Maybe I should look at the saddle position.

Amanda - it does sort of make sense. Friction between *delicate* skin and fabric could be made worse with added abrasives in between.

• Surely this would applly (to a lesser extent) to men as well?

Should I email someone on the TDF?
  • Nessie. I have one of those female specific saddles with a hole for the most delicate bits to ummm well fit into I suppose and not get too much pressure...I think it works...what I have learnt this year (on completing a 106 mile ride :-) ) is that the discomfort at say 20 miles is no worse by 100...

But - I do seem to catch a small piece of flesh which results in a sort of blood blister/bruise which is v ouchy for a day or two...might have to utilise them nail scissors again :-)

Ooer....
  • Female specific saddles are the way to go to avoid a chafed button (I should stop, shouldnt I?). OK, I will.

Adjusting saddle position should help too as well as sorting out optimum saddle height. Too high and you will be moving side to side as you pedal.

Also Bodyglide.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    Nessie - us chaps also suffer chafing in a delicate area known as the "barse" aka the perineum - is not pleasant either...........
  • At the risk of sounding indelicate, nessie, girls (just like men) should adjust their bits after putting on cycling shorts. Does mean that 'agony of the first pee after a bike ride' thing doesn't happen.

Only way forward for comfort is female-specific cycling shorts (not tri shorts, and no need to bother with vaseline), washed after every wear (hubby can tell some wonderful tales of boils when he didn't do this), no knickers and as for saddle ... well, it's a personal thing, and you will never get if right first time. After much experimentation, I use a men's Selle Gel Oktavia saddle. Personally, I find very narrow saddles more comfortable than wide ones.

And lilac or pink? Hmm, not sure. My new bike is metallic blue/ice white/orange (I chose the colours) and is very pretty without being too girly. Pale colours do show the dirt a lot more, as I've found having a partly-white bike.

amandarunning - I feel sick now ...urgh!
  • LizzyB - well imagine what it's like for me! Actually I do think the saddle is too wide as the said bruised area is ummm sort of v top of inner thigh where it meets...

Ok - enough anatomy for now but interesting you prefer a mens saddle due to the narrowness. Mr amandarunning read some stuff about male cyclists and impotence and went out and bought 2 new saddles that day! I might try out his spare...

I always use female specific shorts but actually prefer the tri ones with less padding as that seems more comfortable and less over heating/friction...

Your bike sounds lovely - mine is a bright green speed machine and I love it :-)
  • All that rubbish about saddles and impotence seems over the top to me. Look how long the pros spend on their saddles. Even Eddy Merckx has kids.

Things going numb (that shouldn't be numb) has been a problem for a while though, but its just when you've sat in the same position for ages. So a bit like a dead leg thing. Out of the saddle for a bit and everythings sorted again.

My new arione is fantastic though and doesn't numb anything. the first saddle in 10 years to work like that.
  • amanda - I have very narrow hips and if I sit on a wide saddle it's like I'm being split apart (!) even my MTB has an old road bike saddle on it (and yes, it does look silly).

• I have just switched to an arione tri and it is great.

I also have 3 pairs of shorts £15, £20 and £70 (Pearl IQ)

THere really is a difference in comfort and I only use the cheaper ones on shorter rides now.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Hmm, lots of good stuff there. Thanks.

Cougs - numb - if only! 'Tis definitely a chafing problem - feels like I've been done over with sandpaper on the "button" (thanks for that description Gary :o))

I think possibly that a wideish saddle, coupled with probably-mens shorts and possibly a too high saddle might be the things I should address first.

My bike is black btw - the first question was just a cover. ;o)
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Nessie - I've got a women's saddle with a hole in it on my new bike. I've only done a 20 mile run, but no sore bits so far - just a bit of numbness. I don't have cycling shorts but maybe I should get some for my future IM training!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Hmm, women's saddle looks promising.

Thanks.
  • Nessie - if your saddle is too high - you'll wiggle from side to side to reach the bottom of the pedal stroke.

Can I observe your bottom ?
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    You're surprised Fraggs?

I'm just surprised it took him so long ;o)
  • Hey - I'm qualified !

Honest !
  • I've tried all sorts of remedies, saddles, shorts, etc. and the only thing that even half-way works on a long ride is Monique's home made gel insert.

I'm afraid the only thing is to get your delicate bits used to the discomfort.
  • I had no problems with the saddle until I started doing rides of over 30 miles... I bought a Selle women's specific gel saddle (can't remember which one, I looked at so many but can check if you want) with cut-out and it has made a HUGE difference.

Yes, it was not the cheapest - but what price being able to sit down after a bike ride?! I found the more expensive women's saddles also tended to get narrower - and unlike Lizzie, I don't have the narrowest of hips, but I still much prefer the narrower saddle.

If the problem's chafing, sort out the saddle/your shorts; if it's just soreness from the pressure, you'll get used to it, but in the meantime you can get a local anaesthetic cream (ask for lignocaine 5%) from your chemist and apply it 20 mins before your ride. Don't worry, it's perfectly safe to use there!

btw - I'm really worried about all the recommendations to wash shorts after a ride... does that mean there are people out there who don't?! URGH! I cycle into work in the morning wearing one pair, and put a different pair on to cycle home, I can't think of anything worse than putting on used running or cycling shorts...
  • Once a week.

Or when they start cycling off without me in them.
    :o)

(And these are the ones I've been looking after!)

Merino wool doesn't smell so I find it more difficult to tell when my winter kit needs a clean.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Just snap em over your knee and rubble them between your hands like you do with shiny loo paper - you'll get another few days' wear out of them.