Options

Girlie cycling advice

Comments

• Options
    OMG - now you'll be saying don't get off to pee ;-)

On that note - another newbie question - thought I'd got a lovely all in one tri suit and then wondered what the hell I do to pee...can't pull the whole thing down on the roadside...

So many questions and so little time...

Panic...
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Snail - it's both chafing and pain from pressure, although I can live with the latter.

Of course, maybe I'm just sensitive to the washing powder......
  • Options
    Mon dieu!

Nessie - ALWAYS use a non bio washing powder for cycle kit - the sweat can activate the enzymes, which will then rot your skin. Having seen what it can do to a cyclist's crotch, it's certainly worth the effort.
  • Options
    I am finding my male Fizick saddle very comfy, now I am used to it. I agree height of saddle is a comfort consideration. My routine is a Scholl air pillow gel insert cut to size placed in between the gusset and outer fabric (I unpick the stitchimg so I can slide it in) and a big dollop of vaseline/sudocrem mix. Also keep my *ahem* downstairs hair trimmed.
    I can't believe I just wrote all that on a national forum.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone can believe it, judging by the shocked silence ;-)

As a temporary measure (like for one ride, until I got my new saddle) I found that the 'party feet' gel things you used to stick in your high heeled shoes in the good old days before training (when you actually wore heels and went to parties) placed on the saddle itself worked quite well. Same thing as Monique, but cheaper and quicker to use, though not as long lasting. And they wouldn't stick to a fabric saddle. Think I'll keep a pair in my 'emergency bag' though, along with the blister plasters for long runs!

• Options
    Aaah, the peeing at the roadside thing.

Bloody 'ell, how many times have a stopped to pee at the roadside and by the time I've taken off enough clothes to get my bib shorts off (and usually the contents of the back pockets have gone under a juggarnaught by this stage - hmm, not sure if that's the right spelling of jugganaught)nearly three hours have passed.

So now it's a shorts-and-top combo at all times (whether it's the depths of winter or summer, in a tri or just going down the pub), and if I have to wear bib shorts in the future, I'm going to get those ones with the 'poo flap' at the back ('espcially for women').

And as Monique mntioned, Sudocrem is ace, better than anything that they charge you 10 quid for in a tri shop.
  • Options
    Poo flaps what a great idea

(would love RW to use that quote in the magazine)
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Are poo flaps like the ones on the back of babies old fashioned sleepsuits? Sounds like a good idea, but without the poppers.

I must get some cycling shorts - I usually cycle in my m&s pants and running shorts on top. No probs with chafing but plenty numb bits. I don't suppose sudocrem would help that though? The first long cycle I did on my new bike I felt like my pubic bone had been anaesthetised.
  • Options
    Just been trying to find some tights with poo flaps, Wiggle did some by Bogner last winter, but they aren't on the website at the moment. I'm now wondering how they undo. My snowboarding trousers have zipping poo flaps, but I guess that's not quite right for bike shorts.

Debbo - yes, you've got the right idea.
  • Options
    LizzyB - think the all in one thingy will be a one wear wonder and hope I don't need a pee after the swim :-) Just need to get a couple of tops that will be ok under a wetsuit...

Credit card bashing this tri business!

Oh, and another vote for Sudacrem here.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I think a zip or poppers might not be the best fastening.

:'oO

Will also look at getting non-bio washing powder. Anything's worth a try.
  • Options
    Nessie - always use non bio on any technical kit...
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I didn't know that about non-bio. I can never remember which does what anyway!
  • Options
    Or Persil Colour - that's Non-Bio and looks after your colours too.

Poo Flaps !!
  • Options
    It's all right for you blokes, you lot can just whack it out on one side, while moving if necessary (but was it Laurent Fignon who did that in the TdF one year and sprayed the press corps?)? Us girls have to find a bush as well as a nice man to hold out bike for us (averting his eyes if we are not related). While peeing is OK in a wetsuit, I'm not going to pee in my bike pants on a cold day in Alfreton with 20 miles still to ride before I get home!
  • Options
    Tee hee. There are some advantages to being a boy !

Why do I know Alfreton ??
  • Options
    I dunno, why do you know Alfreton?

It is near some particularly nasty hills, so is often a place visited when completely b**l*xed. So your memories of it could be hazy.
  • Options
    I don't think I've been there ? It's not by Alton Towers is it ? Then again, I can get spectacularly lost on the way to Alton, so most places seem to get on the route.

I must have a supplier there or summat.

• Options
    LizzyB - I'm not sure I could pee on the bike even if I tried - I found the wetsuit pee difficult enough - years of not peeing my pants I suppose!! Can't imagine how it must stink by the end of a long day - yuk...

Mr amandarunning is from your parts - Swanwick..
  • Options
    erm... it is actually possible to use a small water bottle held up the inside of the shorts leg... difficult, I grant you, but just about manageable... Best to unscrew the cap completely though, I wouldn't think you'd have much luck using a sports cap ;-)

Not sure I like the way this thread's going!
  • Options
    Jeez Snail - and you're cycling at the same time ??
  • Options
    Snail - you know you could earn money by demonstrating that? ;-)

Cougie - 40 miles from Alton Towers, but I guess if you were *very* lost....
  • Options
    Haven't actually tried it cycling, just rowing. In my defence, it was either that or hanging my @rse over the side of a boat and ruining some Japanese tourists' photos. And I was wearing a one-piece suit so that would have made it doubly difficult.

Needs must... and I wasn't the only one, nor even the first...
  • Options
    btw - where, Lizzy? Tell me fast!
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    [puffs up with pride at having created such an *interesting* thread]

I use Persil Colour - I thought it was Bio?

[wanders off to consult Mrs Beeton's Good Housekeeping Book for Complete Dummies]
  • Options
    Snail - a quick search on Google will lead you to some sites. Apparently.
  • Options
    I'm at work, do you think I should save that search for when I get home?!
  • Options
    <cough> yes, best to, I think ;-)
  • Options
    particularly as I discovered today that the pc I'm working at whilst mine is fixed has sound... doh!

The office was treated to my friend's video (from her phone) of another friend at Blenheim triathlon... :-)
  • Options
    OOps Nessie - Me bad - you right - it is Bio !

<must pay more attention when washing>