Dublin Marathon 2006

Comments

• best bit of advice that I've figured out for myself is that during a marathon you need to get energy into you early. No point slugging a gel at 24 miles because you'll be finished before it is of benefit to you. I really concentrated on how I was feeling in Dublin and for my steady sub-4 pace it took about 3 miles for a gel to give me a hit, so to speak. Obviously everyone's metabolism is different (I'm sticking my tongue out at all the skinny bu**ers on the thread) so you'll have to experiment for yourself.
  • Just got in from a gentle 5 miles around town.
    There are some real lunatics on the road at this time of night.
    Was almost tempted to try a treadmill SJ.
  • How long would you leave between the Dublin marathon and another marathon?
    As I am intested in doing the luton marathon, I know it is 3 laps and not much to look at but at least it is flat.
  • Hi All

Back from a very long day - Liverpool- London - Liverpool - I didn't want to get in and go straight to bed so reading the thread was ideal. I loved the attorney and the kid comments and will throw them on the site - eventually. I also have loads of photos so watch this space.

I'm the only one wearing a runners watch all the time then? Ha ha I even considered buying a Timex Ironman watch as a talking point. (I have a prefectly good dress watch but hardly ever wear it)

SJ - Treadmills -Thinking out loud I suppose you're not lacking any motivation for using a treadmill like us humble mortals but think a bit of showing off down the local gym can be more stimulating than being in your garage. But then again I suppose if you have to have 10 space heaters to simulate Mumbai and you need a bl**dy Fast treadmill so at least you can put a telly and/or a stereo and a few comforts to relieve the potential boredom? I did my first ever 15 mile run on a tready and enjoyed watching the telly and chatting to the gym instructor. When I told other forumites I had done 15 miles on a tready they cast doubts on my sanity - I mean the cheek of it! Marathon Runners casting doubts on someones sanity! - In the view of many sedentary peeps marathon runners are nuts anyway!

Oh and on the subject of sanity - Have any of you found your forum life spilling over into "real" life. I have found myself thinking "Skinny Jims Says.... and Left Foot says......" but luckily I haven't yet articulated my thoughts to colleagues - but came dangerously close!

Just got an email from Amazon - My Garmin is on its way - Yippee - I feel a nice run on the cards. I may end up running further than I intended, just to play with my new gadget and check out all the features.

Severe deadline pressure tomorrow AM so I hope to catch up tomorrow PM - Cappuccino at 12:30 please SJ.
  • Regarding training...I thought I might actually try and train to the RW sub 3:15 schedule in the hope that it gets me around "next time" in 3:30-3:45. To me there's not much difference PSYCHOLOGICALLY between training hard and training on a get-you-round programme -- you have to get motivated either way, and once you're out the door, might as well go for it.

It's not so much the mileage or intensity of each run I'm concerned about BUT, granted, the real difference to me would be the shift from 5 (or 4) days a week to 6 or even (yikes) 7, which I'm not sure my body can handle. I like/need my rest days. I was thinking about taking a hard schedule and replacing some of the easy 3-mile days with days off.

SJ -- did you do 6 or 7 days a week in prep for Dublin?

Are the RW downloadable plans pretty good? Is the sub 3:15 one a 6 or a 7 day a week plan (Jo? Your thoughts? Your downloads??)
  • P.S.
    I can't wait to re-read and bellow with laughter at my last post sometime around January 2nd when I would have to get out there in sleet and dark. I am SO full of post-marathon hot air at the moment. oh lordy.
  • tractor boy. I'll be at luton too. You can run as many marathons as you want but you can't race them all.

Left foot the sub 3:15 is a six day programm with long run on saturday and speedwork on tuesday. I think monday is the day off. Wednesday is a semi long run (about half to three quarters of the long run for that week. Do you have access to it or should I e-mail you? Most marathon programmes are very similar some go by distance, some by time on your feet and some by heart-rate but essentailly they all boil down to increasing mileage and speed by no more than 10% a week, a long run, a speed session and other "junk" runs.
  • Morning all-

Jo - yesterdays 10 went fine, thanks for asking. Bounced for 8 miles and only got a bit sore towards the end. Back out for same again today. In my pre-Dublin optimism/naivety (delete as appropriate) I entered a few races that I probably shouldn't have given the recovery time required. First race back now Liverpoool Cross Challenge on 26th November. It is the trial for the European Club Champs and my club is fancied to win so I am duty bound to do my bit for the old faithful.

Left Foot -

I had a seven day programe in the run up to Dublin but only because I am stupid. Rest day is very important but a lot of people I know achieve this by running more than once a day for some of the other six. I don't have time unfortunately otherwise I probably would.

From 3h55m to 3h15m would be an awesome achievement but I don't think you should aim for it in a single vault.

Amadeus -

Seperate post coming up for you later this morning on how to gain speed but first thing I'd say is that you need to reset your expectation to a more achieveable level. To take a 30m chunk off a marathon PB is an enormous ask at your standard. To do it twice would be superhuman and that's Pam's territory so be careful of trespassing. I would have thought Paris 4h15m and Dublin 06 Sub 4hrs is more like it.

If you blow these away you will be delighted but if you expect to drop your PB by an hour in a year I think you will very probably be disappointed.

Good news is that having checked out your Dublin 05 photo montage I can definitely confirm you have the right build for long distance running. The rest is just down to hard work and commitment.

Mr H -

Request noted. I'll bring it round with your panini and the broad sheets.

Will you be requiring a shoe shine today, Sir?

SJ
  • (Sticks head round door) I almost hit one deadline, missed another and am working on a biggie for 12.30 (Actually 11.30 because I work for a Continental firm) - "You aint seen me Right!"

SJ - All the stuff said I was on for 4:20 at Dublin but my times were 1.05, 2:15 and then 4:39 which almost seems consistent except that I ususally run a negative split in half marathons.

Theres no question that I am fit enough - I just think the maths of my size and weight doesn't help my long distance running from the point of Speed or endurance.

The Plan is -1 lose 2 stone as rapidly as possible (Much easier because the heavier you are the more you need to maintain), 2 Consciously up my pace - (I've plodded far too many miles) 3 do more speed work and slightly more hilly routes.

I want to do my next autumn Marathon sub 4 hours. Is it achievable within a year mainly by running more half marathons during the year- Answers SJ and Folks please- (Anecdotal evidence would be good)

• I don't require a shoe shine SJ - I am still working in my PJ's and slippers (terrible image!)
  • I'd like to join you on the -2 club Mr H...
  • NOT TO BE READ BEFORE 12.30PM

Mr H -

Best to lose that weight gradually and not asap. The latter will leave you tired and susceptible to illness. I would have thought a six month period is both realistic and achievable provided you take my advice on removing the sources of all your well documented temptations!

Plot it on a chart in fortnightly intervals and get it on the desktop. There is something immensely satisfying about ticking off milestones. Basic, I know but very effective.

Your second objective of improving pace can run in tandem with the first. I've promised Amadeus I'll post my thoughts on this shortly so watch this space.

And for the record, I also believe that with the right discipline and commitment to a structured training plan you can run Sub-4 in Dublin next year. Moreover, if you'd like to commit to it now I'll do my best to help you achieve it (apart from pace making that is. I have some unfinished business to attend to nearer the front).

Hmmm...looks like my bar bill for Kennedys 06 will incur more than an inflationary rise if all this fighting talk comes to fruition.

Anyone else want to capture their future aspirations for prosperity? Reality checks strictly by exception.

SJ
  • I will be going for a superhuman effort SJ, from 4.39 to sub 3.30 (which was actually my target this year)

I discovered on the day that possibly marathons aren't my thing, however illness on the day and last 3 weeks beofe hand with no running to save my foot injury didn't help.

but will work on everything and bring my half marathon time of 1.37 down and see where I am..

My plan is actually to do a fair bit of cycling and swiming over the winter to build up general fitness before moving over to more running from the spring on..
  • Dave -

That 4h39m is an exceptional circumstance and not representative of your true potential.

A 97 minute half is good for a 3h30m marathon in my book.

SJ
  • thanks SJ, that is why I have to have another go!!
  • Err...just heard from the selectors.

I'm off to India on 15th January to run in the Standard Chartered Mumbai International Marathon along with 37,000 others.

I'll be the pale guy wearing green, sweating profusely.

I'm absolutely bricking it.

SJ
  • This ones for GFB...

GIRL'S DIARY

Wednesday 7th September 2005.

Saw him in the evening and he was acting really strangely. I went shopping in the afternoon with the girls and I did turn up a bit late so thought it might be that.

The bar was really crowded and loud so I suggested we go somewhere quieter to talk. He was still very subdued and distracted so I suggested we go somewhere nice to eat.

All through dinner he just didn't seem himself; he hardly laughed, and didn't seem to be paying any attention to me or to what I was saying. I just knew that something was wrong. He dropped me back home and I wondered if he was going to come in; he hesitated, but followed.

I asked him again if there was something the matter but he just half shook his head and turned the television on. After about 10 minutes of silence, I said I was going upstairs to bed.

I put my arms around him and told him that I loved him deeply. He just gave a sigh, and a sad sort of smile. He didn't follow me up, but later he did, and I was surprised when we made love.

He still seemed distant and a bit cold, and I started to think that he was going to leave me, and that he had found someone else. I cried myself to sleep.

-------------------------------------------

BLOKES DIARY

Wednesday 7th September 2005.

England lost to Northern Ireland. Gutted. Got a shag though.
  • Aspirations.
    Here goes:
    Better Liverpool half PB
    Run Keswick to Barrow 40 miles with 10 K pack and live!
    Better GNR PB
    Achieve sub 4:10 Dublin 2006
    Continue serious training schedule for Marathon Des Sables 2007
    Complete Marathon Des Sables 2007 and live to tell the tale.

Now I know I need a reality check!

Lou
  • SJ

Of all your wisdom offered over the last few posts SJ, that last has to top the lot.

Delighted for you that your'e going to be wearing the green in Mumbai next year. Got close a couple of times in a different sport, but never quite made it, so know how much it must mean to you.

Since have done a bit of crawling, maybe I could cadge some free advice?

Went from 3.59 (Dublin '04) to 3.17 (Dublin '05). Cramped badly at end of '05 and really feel I had a sub-3.10 in my legs but for that. I feel pretty fresh now and am entered for Paris. Is sub-3 a possibility and if so how? I wouldn't have time to run more than 70mpw or thereabouts.

Sorry for stealing your expertise.
  • Great news SJ, best of luck with it and keep us updated, you should be entitled to a few funded trips back to the old sod to meet with coaches and such and such...
  • Jo -- Yes, it would be great if you could email the sub 3:15 plan (Naughty me. No subscription. er.."I buy it on the newstand!")

SJ -- Yes, not expecting to leap from 3:56 to 3:15. I think I'd probably get dope tested! Perhaps 3:39-something or 3:40-something, though.

• All --

Yesterday I received my acceptance to the London Marathon. It came in a 3 dimensional package along with a souvenir, a letter of congratulations and details of my husband's acceptance, too . Which is odd, as he didn't apply.

Sound weird? It was a DREAM I had last night.
    (Don't worry. I've ordered myself a life from sad.com for Christmas)
  • Hi Rory -

No apology needed.

Firstly, I'd take it easy for another week or so. Let those micro-tears heal properly and make sure you eat and drink well to assist the process.

For a sub-3 attempt in Paris in April I'd recommend a 3 month / 14 week preparatory plan starting off a base of lets say 30mpw?

In summary, it would involve the following:

Week 1 = 40m
    Week 2 = 45m
    Week 3 = 50m
    Week 4 = 55m
    Week 5 = 60m
    Week 6 = 65m
    Week 7 = 35m
    Week 8 = 35m
    Week 9 = 70m
    Week 10 = 70m
    Week 11 = 70m
    Week 12 = 70m
    Week 13 = 35m (Taper)
    Week 14 = 20m (Taper)

Each week in 3-6 should include one long run (2hrs), one rest day (probably best after long run) and an interval/speed session. These sessions should either increase in frequency of reps or decrease in recovery time over subsequent weeks.

For weeks 9-12 inclusive the long run becomes 2h30m and the number of sessions increases to two (or a race and a session).

No races beyond 10k in last month and no speed work in taper. Suggest a half marathon at the end of weeks 7&10 if possible.

Dietary supplements recommended and don't forget your PSP22 rocket fuel for the big day!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

SJ
  • SJ, I suspect you may get a lot more requests for training plans (a sub 3:45 plan would be good) :-)
    It may be easier if you can get Mr H to add them to his web site, then people would not need to find them on this forum.
    Which I suspect this race will beat last years amount of messages and there is only about 50 weeks to go!
  • SJ,

That's very helpful. It's similar to what I did for Dublin but with more mileage which seems to be the key.

Thank you.

RM
  • Hi all.

Congrats SJ on your place. I assume you're going to accept ?

Been offline for a while. Got back to work on wed following the race and felt pretty good. Thursday took a downturn....felt like i'd been hit be a steam roller. Got home thursday night, had a hot bath and went straight to bed. Very unpleaseant sweaty nights non-sleep. The sheets and duvet were damp to the touch in the moring (not nice) Took friday off hoping ity would pass quickly....and then spent saturday, sunday and monday wondering when i'd start to feel even marginally better. Felt a bit better on monday night but by now Ben was on the downward slope (day off school Tue) All in all not a pleaseant few days in the Landon household.

Aspirations....short term are just to get better and get out for a run. Longer term i'd like to aim for a sub 3 hour time. Not sure if that's my next target though or to take an intermediate step along the way.
  • no-one did get back to me with ideas for an alternative forum name by the way....any suggestions ?...

New thread new name !!
  • SJ,

Can you remember whatI said to you in Kennedys about getting an Irish vest!

Accept it and be proud to wear it, well done.

It would be useful for you to chat to someone who has run that Marathon in Mumbai, I will make enquiries.
  • Mark

Looking at your picture....i would suggest a Bond like appearance

Hence..............007

Mine's a Stella
  • SJ

Hugh Jones is the race Director. If you want any advice about the race you can contact him via the AIMS website.
    Association of International Marathons