Dublin Marathon 2006

Comments

• There was some talk in the Gingerman on Marathon day of doing the Ballycotton 10. Entry forms available in early December apparently.

• Rory - here's the info for Ballycotton next year - entries fill up fast and last year they had a strict closing date. The postal system is chaos here at the moment - hope they'll accept email/fax - must ask them.

BALLYCOTTON ‘10’

March 5th 2006

ENTRY FORMS

The forms will be available in early December and can be
    had by sending a stamped addressed envelope to: Ballycotton Running Promotions, Ballycotton, Co. Cork.

There will also be a form in the Irish Runner Annual and on a href="www.ballycottonrunning.com
    ">Ballycotton

Race Date: Sunday March 5th 2006

• oops sorry jo - took me so long to do that "link".....
  • the other race mentioned was the connemara half/marafun/ultra. They are expecting to fill that one just after christmas. I'm still undecided on it because April is a very busy month for me and an ultra might be a bit too much just before.
  • ...that didn't even work dohhh....need more coffee....
  • Morning all -

Been on the nursery run so apologies for my tardiness this morning.

The door is always open so just come on in help yourselves to whatever takes your fancy. For the record Jo, that doesn't include some of the better looking male contributors. I was thinking more along the line of refreshments.

A big Dublin 2006 welcome to Pammie.

Mail call for Supergirl Pam.

SJ

• not worth my while calling. I don't do this running lark for fun* you know. It's all about the hot sweaty men!

actually I do do it for fun but the men are an added bonus.
  • Thanks Jo and Giller. Hope to see you both there!
  • One major benefit from the race...my oldest daughter wants to go out running with me!! Cool!
  • Jo

Thinking back to last week...does that mean the '26 second' conversation with Quasi BF no longer takes place
  • yep. He now has a 3:04 to his name. The pressure is really on me :) It's a strange feeling. I don't think I've ever been so proud of someone as I was with his race. It took guts to run in that much pain.
  • Jo -

We all know you have a sub-3 hour marathon in there.

That boy won't know what's hit him when it arrives but let him have his moment of glory first. That's a mighty impressive result and I remember you saying his preparation was minimal.

SJ
  • he is very impressive in many ways :-)

seriously though yes it was a great run. Unfortunately he held 2:57 pace until mile 18 so was a bit disappointed! It kind of took the shine off it for him. Almost 25 mins of a PB is amazing though.

Ok, I didn't get time to do it yesterday but I have been considering the "what next" question.

I think I need to build from the bottom up. I ran my first marathon 12 weeks after running my first step and since then I have been going from race to race. It has worked ok but do try and see if I have any potential for this marathon lark I need to be a bit more structured. As I've never really built a base I'm going to spend the next 6 weeks just running. I think I hobble around for too long after races and hopefully more time running will help that.

Then I'm going to spend 15 weeks building up to the Seville marathon and try to follow a structured training plan. The sensible one would be a sub 3:15. My biggest problem is going to be to stay injury free through speedwork. Because I'm heavy and have osteoporosis the forces of speed lead to injury very easily.

The races I'm thinking of are
    Luton marathon (because I want to meet some people there)
    Seville marathon
    ballycotton 10
    connemara (maybe)
    liverpool half
    Boston marathon (would like to defer but it doesn't appear to be possible)
    three day ironman in Belfast
    Ironman Germany
    I'll do other bits and pieces as they appeal to me as well.

Anyone got any opinions?
  • Jo I'm tired just reading that list - very best of luck....
  • What are the dates of thoses races Jo?
  • luton is 4th Dec
    Seville 26th Feb
    Ballycotton 10 = 5th MArch
    connemara = end march
    Liverpool 17th Mar
    Boston 17th(?) april
    belfast (three days leading up to may bank holiday)
    IM germany = july 20-something-th
  • Still waiting to see if anyone has any gems of advice for you Jo...I haven't a clue!! ;-)

In the meantime...

A man hears a knock at his front door and goes to answer. Outside is a huge ladybird, as big as the man. Before he has time to show his shock the ladybird lays into him...punching and kicking until the man is knocked unconcious.

Whenever he wakes up the ladybird is gone. He is badly injured so he decides to go to the doctor.

At the surgery he explains in graphic details how the ladybird has beaten him up.

The doctor does not even look surprised, he says to the man...you're not the first in my surgery with this today....

theres a bad bug going round!!! Boom, boom!
  • Oh dear GFB.

I think a disciplinary might be in order after that woeful last attempt at humour.

SJ
  • hello all-sorry if i havnt been about-this thread takes some catching up on.I hope you dont mind if i pop in every now and again,just too busy with graft and running.

Who said "this nation are nothing but a bunch of shokeepers?"
    nepolion.
    Who said"we,ll fight them on the beaches,trenches,in the streets"?
    winston churchill
    Who said"theres nothing wrong with defeat"?
    nelson mandelas chiropodist!!!!!
  • GFB, you're off the hook. Mick the Mackem take a bow. Awful awful awful.
  • thank you thank you thank you and once again i thank you.
  • I think I'm gonna open a vein at this rate.

SJ
  • on the subject of veins, just gave blood, how
    long to wait before running?
    they said give it a couple of days but surely tomorrow (or even tonight) would be fine for a 3 miler?
  • I've often run a few hours after giving blood. It will probably feel a lot harder work than it normally would but unless you're a fainter or a bleeder shouldn't do you any harm. Having said that the experts reckon your "peak performance" could be reduced for up to 6 weeks after donating 500 mls
  • Jo...I think my (spectacular) joke seems to have distracted everyone from your question re: your racing schedule...maybe you should ask again!

Possible I've struck everyone dumb!!
  • Ok, I didn't get time to do it yesterday but I have been considering the "what next" question.

I think I need to build from the bottom up. I ran my first marathon 12 weeks after running my first step and since then I have been going from race to race. It has worked ok but do try and see if I have any potential for this marathon lark I need to be a bit more structured. As I've never really built a base I'm going to spend the next 6 weeks just running. I think I hobble around for too long after races and hopefully more time running will help that.

Then I'm going to spend 15 weeks building up to the Seville marathon and try to follow a structured training plan. The sensible one would be a sub 3:15. My biggest problem is going to be to stay injury free through speedwork. Because I'm heavy and have osteoporosis the forces of speed lead to injury very easily.

The races I'm thinking of are
    Luton marathon (because I want to meet some people there)
    Seville marathon
    ballycotton 10
    connemara (maybe)
    liverpool half
    Boston marathon (would like to defer but it doesn't appear to be possible)
    three day ironman in Belfast
    Ironman Germany
    I'll do other bits and pieces as they appeal to me as well.