Flirty women are blamed for rape

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21112005/140/flirty-women-blamed-rape.html

There are some women who are stupid and put themselves in a position where they have been raped and in hindsight have turned round and realised what they could have done to avoid it.

There are some occasions when a silly women may cry rape when in actual fact she was quite willing and able. Disturbed women like this to exist.

However it is men who are to blame for rape.

Comments

• I was astonished that this logic still exsists.

There are some bloody stupid/disturbed women out there, some need to take responsibility for there actions but FFS!
  • there was a discussion on R2 earlier today and some lady was saying that because the publics perception is that 'flirty' women are asking for it that it is changing the way that jurys react to rape cases and only a very small percentage of men brought to trial for rape are actually found to be guilty and therefore even less are getting through the CPS in the first place.
  • A friend of mine went on trial for rape by a woman who was very willing indeed, but got scared when her boyfriend (who he didn't know about) found out about their encounter, so cried rape. However, his name was all over the local rag (despite being found not guilty by a mile) and she got away without a whisper. How fair is this? Discuss.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Grrrrrr.

I wonder how many of the 30% who belive this are women?

There are very very few cases where a woman has sex with a bloke then thinks her boyfriend/husband might find out, so cries rape. And very very occasionally, someone may accuse someone of rape to punish them for something.

But I agree Wolfy - rape is the fault of the perpetrator, not the victim.

• Nelle I think what really annoys me is that if these stats are to be believed then a woman cannot safely go out looking sexy and feeling good about herself without sick oversexed men thinking that she's there to be taken!

I don't think that this is going to help the fact that so many women do not report rape as it is!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Not fair at all, Coops, and it's women like her who make it so difficult for women who have been raped to come forward.
  • I'll admit, that as a grumpy oldish woman, i do sometimes look at the way young women dress/behave & think, Jesus, you are so asking for trouble....but that doesn't mean I think they should be attacked/raped etc.

Does that make sense?
  • Nessie - nail on the head.
  • Islam would argue this is a consequence of the decadence of western society.

Discuss.
  • Coops that is an awful story it really is and there isn't a woman I know that would find any sympathy at all for that woman and who wouldn't be very sympathetic to the bloke.

However I rather suspect that the instances, as Nessie says, of that happening are very small compared to the amount of rapes that go unreported.

We need to encourage women to report these attacks and if the police are thorough and gather evidence quickly and competently then I'm sure evil women who are lying will be found out.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Sort of Nelle. A woman should be able to go out naked if she wants, and be taken at her word if she says no to sex. But yes, knowing that there are some men out there who think that if your skirt doesn't cover your knees that you are gagging for it, some styles of dressing should be carefully considered.

But that still doesn't excuse rape in any way.
  • "I wonder how many of the 30% who belive this are women"

I think the scottish metro reported something like 1 in 3 women surveyed, and 1 in 5 men. I could be wrong, it's only half remembered from a disgusted glance this morning.
  • Yes Nelle that does make sense to be honest as I'm 36 and I look at some young girls and think flippin heck is that a skirt or a belt! However it shouldn't matter men should leave well alone regardless of how somebody dresses.

I don't see a gorgeous chap in a bar and automatically think that I can go to bed with him so why should a man presume the same?

I think that if a man does feel threatened by the possibility of a woman potentially crying rape when she's actually consented then maybe he should leave his 'todger' in his pants and take the woman out and get to know her first. Now there is a novel idea ;-)
  • My daughter is a nurse & when the girls start their training, they are almost ordered not to wear their uniform out of the hospital perimeters, esp. at night, in case they are taken for stip-o-grams or seen as "asking for it".

Coops, your friend has my sympathy- i don't think any one in a rape case should be named.
  • Wolfy - agree wholheartedly, and don't think anyone wouldn't. Rape can never be excused in any form. But that is an example of a male not only being the victim, but also nearly going to prison for 10 years because of it!

Nessie - I'd like to see some of these women going out naked. I must live in the wrong place?!
  • 1. We have absolutely no idea of how this survey was worded, so we can't conclude anything - what if it said "Which woman you think a rapist would be most likely to attack - (a) a woman dressed in a revealing way, (b) a woman dressed soberly or (c) no difference"? If it said "Are women who dress in a revealing way partly to blame for rape?" you would get a completely different result, yet it's all the same to the media. You simply cannot make the logical leap to blame being apportioned - newspapers and vested interests will write stuff that they think makes a story, so don't believe what you read.

Also, it is not men who are to blame for rape. It is rapists. Yes, I am offended.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Would that not imply that there is no such thing as rape amongst Islamists, BR?
  • I've heard of a women rapist before to be fair.
  • Men can be the victims of rape too lets not forget.(i mean the phsyical act, not the legal)

Point taken Swerve.
  • That seems a very bizarre finding.

Oh - Swerve beat me to it -I think its in the wording of the question.
  • Coopes, it is rare, but it can happen.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I think it would be fair to say that 99% of rapists are men.

But probably only 0.000001% of men are rapists.

Point taken Swerve. Most men *don't* think women are "easy".
  • Is it true that 87.5% of stats are made up, Nessie??

:)
  • Nelle - trust me. When you see some of the butch beast's of women in Northampton - you'll know it can happen!!!!
  • Yep I agree that some women are rapists too!

However I think it a bit silly for a man to be offended by this if he isn't a rapist.

I would much rather an innocent man be much more concerned about innocent women being labelled as sex objects.

• Coops, I'm serious!

(yes i know, so are you!)

But a woman can be legally accused of rape.
  • This is the question :

Q3. I am now going to read out a series of scenarios which a woman may find herself in. In each could you please indicate whether you believe a woman is totally responsible, partially responsible or not at all responsible for being raped if…

a) The woman is drunk (Base, n=1,083)
    b) The woman has behaved in a flirtatious manner (Base: n=1,078)
    c) The woman has failed to say ‘no’ clearly to the man (Base, n=1,076)
    d) A woman is wearing sexy or revealing clothes (Base, n=1,076)
    e) It is known that the woman has many sexual partners (Base, n=1,076)
    f) The woman is alone and walking in a dangerous or deserted area (1,075)

I'm guessing that a lot of people prefer a middle ground answer on most questions - not necessarily because they believe it to be the case - maybe because they just haven't had time to think their answers over. As such - the partially responsible reply is the middle ground.

I think Amnesty wanted the results to come out as they did ?
  • Yes, I'm not offended by the comment at all. Someone called me an idiot once. Unbelievable I know.