FLM Virgin

Comments

• OH yeah RIO WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • and where is Lazer these days too??

been v quiet on the forum today. mind you i have tons of work!!

the lady i met at running club has pursuaded me to go with her and her husband tomorrow on the 15 miler and they have plannned a whole route out etc so i don't feel i can say no!! bit apprehensice as she is faster than me but maybe its what i need to get round! will let you know how i go - taking plenty of gels!!
  • good luck matie, you love it!!!!!!
  • Yeah enjoy it your very lucky to have company im a bit nervous, last week was such hell the thought of doing more is scarey.. sorry for not being positive but im scared..very scared

at least you will have support so enjoy
  • know what you mean about last week!!! don't be scared because you can and will do it! and don't forget if its a long slow run you are not under any pressure on time - just keep moving at whatever pace is fine for you at that moment and keep telling yourself how brill you are (oh and tell yourself that whatever happens you are faster than me!)
  • your both brill, you can both do it.

Pinks have you seen who has joined the stroke team?

I saw the name Chinna appear on a few forum topics didn't have a clue who it was.

Been to get a nw pair of trainers today, very nice ozzzie bloke fitted them up for me,i LOVE runners needs ha ha ha
  • thanks for positive thoughts i guess im not going to think about it, i have route planned all will be good, thanks and once done i can sleep for the rest of the day or watch trash Tv. big fan of ER and Oc also very into Shipwrecked, another reality tv show on channel 4s
  • was meant to say nicky who is running ofr stroke am curious is it someone famous??

• did you watch Lost when it was on? i was hooked on that! enjoy your un Fenn - we are meant to enjoy this!! (Forget Brighton, it was c*** all round!! in fact the only good thing for me was that hubby bought me a gorgeous pair of shoes from jigsaw!!)
  • yeah... do you remember the bloke in Holby city who was gonna take Jess and her baby on when she got pregnant by Zubin, (sound like major girlie goss this does.. its a programme nick!!) he was a doctor, it's not that his famousish, but his not bad lookin in his photo!!
  • yes was big fan of Lost, dont tell me any of the rumours of how it ends though... i have some mean friends like that who have told others the ending to Harry Potter and such things .... how mean.

Yes nicky i know the bloke you mean, also the girl who plays Diana in Holby City is running the marathon this year, but have no idea which charity,, she said she was running with boyfriend... put two and two together ie both worked on Holby city both running london marathon... i should work for some kind of gossip column

• yeah i saw her blog thing when they first started on buzz. mmm

you are the lady in the know fenn

lol!!
  • oh damn...never watched holby city!!
  • sorry to change subject but pinks are you not going to run Oakley 20 then,,, as a 20 training run... i was thinking do that as couldnt face 20mile training run on own.

and if your doing 15mile this weekend your be ready for the 20 mile in 5 weeks, add on a mile a week logic

it seems weird to be talking about such ridiculous distances

• well i was a bit worried about puttin myself under the pressure of another race especially as i don't think it is a very big turnout (less than 1000)and i didn't think there would be many slow runners so a good chance i would be last!! the lady from the running club is doing it though and i think it is the right weekend for my schedule so i may reconsider!! what about you?
  • Its the right weekend for my schedule and i figure id rather do it with others than on my own at least worst case there will be medical support? joke!!

i have pursaded two friends to run in it too so yes im doing it ahhhhhhhh
  • wow, another flooding of the forums for me to trawl through...

nicky, is that short run a hill AND speed session or are they seperate...your progam looks challenging, whats the longest distance you'll cover before london?

i really want to do 24, i know the HH plan says 20 but i feel 6 extra miles ontop of being that fatigued at 20, needs to be done before the big day - im not such a believer in adrenaline when youve been at it for hours and the excitement has died away....

15 this weekend should be interesting to say least, this niggling thing in my leg still hasnt gone totally and i just know it will be aching like mad after sat...Squeezy gum came which is cool, wasnt actual chewing gum (which i had hoped) it is gummy type sweets, but i really find the gells get sticky so am looking for alternatives. Wierdly i found the energy bars easier to pallate than the gums on my run other day...not sure about that - all this experimenting, feel i should have more time!!!

good luck with distance on weekend pinks & fenn, you raced the half so it shouldnt be that much difference....and think - its only 2 miles more....
  • Hi folks I am back. Been away from computer for 3 days and it has all gone mad. Had to go to meetings in London this week and was staying with my sister in West Byfleet and didn't have any access.

Wasn't the snow awful. I had a bad run on Wednesday so was going to go out on Thursday but decided that I was safer not doing anything. Looking forward to my LSR tomorrow. 2.30hrs for me.
    LSR should be done at anything up to 1.30 mins slower than your race pace so for 10min milers that would be around 11.30min/mile.
    If you go to the Grey training tab and go to the pacing section it gives you an idea there. However when I went on the TP weekend they suggested that you could break the run into 1/3rds so do the first bit v. slow then middle bit at race pace then last bit either slow or if you are feeling really strong, at threshold pace! So I wouldn't worry too much just be comfortable.

Be careful racing 20 miles!! Make sure you do it as a training run - so no times in mind and at LSR pace - NO FASTER!!!!!!!!!

Pinks - you will come on in leaps and bounds having joined a club!! They really do make a difference and it is so nice to run in company.

As a side - I went to school with JK Rowling and still have the present that she bought me for my 18th birthday!!
  • good luck pinks...bottling the 15 miler and psyching self to get back into training after brighton! sooooo cold outside though!
  • PW hills and speed sesh are seperates, thank goodness!!

welcome back Rio.

the longest run i intend to do is 20 miles, i've got a chance to crack it twice but i'll see how it goes after yesterday's run, i had a major panic/mental thing going on, it was really horrible.

next LSR will be next week some time.
  • Cas you will be fine when you get out there again. Wrap up warm - lots of layers and more importantly hat and gloves.
    It is actually quite nice in the frost but do be careful where you are putting your feet if it is slippery.

NWS you really should only do one 20miler!! It will take more out of you than you think. Remember 1 day recovery for every mile you run!!!
  • Hey Rio, LOVELY to see you back...i was worried you and your fantastic advice and support had deserted us for good!!!

OMG...can't believe you went to school with JKR...that's amazing! i'm a total HP fan having a daughter that 'grew up' with 'Harry' and Josh being now totally into it. OH read all the books to me in bed...v romantic!!lol!!

never know what to wear at the moment. thursday i ran home from work in 2 thin tops (dri fit) and running jacket and was boiling but wore the same at the club on wed when i was really running fast and it was fine!! no idea what to wear tomorrow. will let you all know how it goes. The other lady is nice and chatty so hopefully that will get me round even if i haven't the energy to talk back!
  • Rio, question for you (here i go again!)...if i only ever do lsr at slower pace as you suggested then how do i know i can do it any faster on the day? i know thats what all the books say but i just don't get it?! v confused!!
  • i just cannot keep up with you all-both running and chatting, but i enjoy reading all the stuff. My speed is back now, but not yet the distance so tomorrow Im going to attempt a proper LSR and see how far I get. Its the berkamstead Half next Sunday so I want to be ready for that. On my training day, we were told that its not necessary even to do a 20, even though Im sure we all will! But just one though, and then rest before the big day!
  • Morning all,

missed you Rio, WOW thats sooo cool that you went to school with JKR,, i am such a big fan... was she always the creative type at school.. like did everyone always think she would be famous/successful... WOW mega impressed..

Just been out for a gentle 4miler which has been a real confidence boost as no worries with knee.. hopefully stretching techniques are helping.. time will tell.. and now back at desk as have essay to write this weekend... boring.. when not running, working then am studying for final architecural qualification.

Cas.just bite the bullet and get out there..you probably needed the break after your child being ill and the half last weekend... so hopefully you will have renewed motivation on Monday.

PW i personally wouldnt consider going over anything above 21 miles... none of the schedules even the advance suggest anything over 20 and this is for a reason. I have recently read Hal Higdons book and he talks alot about not doing over 20miles...the risks of overtraining, is far worse than being undertrained.

Rio do you think it will be a bad idea to do the Oakley 20.. i never planned to do it as anything other than a training run and thought would be good to have company...ill see how i go nearer the time me thinks.
  • Morning, just back from a very cold and windy 2hrs 8mins. Was a bit disappointed that I only managed 11 miles but then realised that it was run into a headwind for pretty much all the way?? and even downhill I felt like I was running backwards! So probably not too bad after all.

Pinks, answer to your question is that you generally run faster in races than on LSRs anyway. And your mid week sessions are at a faster pace so your LSR should feel easy!
    But as I have said you can break it up and do some race pace running in the middle

Fenn do the 20 if you want to but do only do it as a training run and dont get drawn into racing it!!!

JKR was very arty at school. I did my A levels with her and sat next to her in English. She never seemed to have to concentrate and spent the lessons doodling. she was very clever though.
    And the teachers in the books are very like some of the teachers at our school!!! lol
  • isnt it a lovely day today-hope its like this tomorrow- no running for me today, just Body Pump which I do as my cross-training sessions. tend to do 2, sometimes even 3 a week as builds strength in legs but also means i stretch out well.
    Thanks Rio with advice about LSRs-its easy to get drawn into a race mentality but must remember not to! My goal has always been to not be last, but as tomorrow's taining run (17) will be the first since the fall I dont care if I am last. In fact Im planning not to be as mentally im prepared to only do 12 and then drop out if necessary so I dont overstress my ankle-which feels so much better but still tends to swell after a day at work.
  • Just back from lsr. did 15.3 miles with friend but had to walk all the last 3 as tight painful bit appeared in the back of my left leg above the knee and i COULDN'T run!! never had that before and no idea what is going on but had cold bath and stretched etc and does feel better. even walking hurt but running killed!! oh dear!!

Rio did JKR ever talk about writing a book or anything? were you good friends? that must be so amazing to have been at school with her and now she is so famous!

it was really windy where i was running too and one of the other runners said you can addon 2 miles for every 10 in those conditions so you did brilliantly! i was out for nearlly 3 hours with having to walk!!
  • hello all, just got in - 2.20 ( i think, will upload stuff later) getting somer lumbar pain in the longer miles so am going to do some hyper extentions to strengthen that. Its annoying, i could run on and on but its the pain in things like my calfs and back that really hold me back...

Was nice day but v. windy, had one bit where wa running into the wind for a good 10/15 mins, which iwas awesome.....acting like a nutter if i remember correctly - screaming 'yeh' and 'wooooo' for some unbeknown silly reason. I do love going out, the country has some powerful Qi, and when the wind is kicking up that strong its quite awe inspiring.

Didnt take gloves to hands were actually frozen when i got in, reflecting now, i dont know what i would have done without an ice bath these past few toughies, it really seems to save me...

any way - off to do shopping.

hamstring cramp pinks? well done on gettin round though.