Abingdon Marathon

Comments

• oh heck....just worked it out.

Little Miss Happy....you are sassier than I imagined. :-)
  • . .
    |
    _/
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Nearly!

. .
    |
    _/
  • OK - I give up:-)
  • lol, I admire your spirit.
  • Who else can we persuade to enter this?
  • sorry, i cant help it
  • ShinyShiny ✭✭✭
    Didn't tell Mrs Shiny I'd entered this cos she was vowing not to do any more marathons and I didn't want her to feel left out! But now I've let it slip she's decided to enter too.

Very annoying as this was meant to be the one that I caught her up on. Now she'll always be one marathon ahead of me.
  • Hello everyone,
    just entered this race the other day. Was looking for a nice flat P.B course to make my marathon debut. If any one has any extra info about the course or details. Could you let me know thanks. Steve
  • parrotmadparrotmad ✭✭✭
    Hello! Count me in for this one, it will be my 3rd Abingdon in a row!

Steve - the course is fairly sceninc and pretty flat as well :-) It was my first marathon course.
  • S3oB

You talking about MV40 Bershire CC? ..b.g..r! - managed to snaffle that up by 'jogging' round in 3hrs ish for last two years - guess more effort required (ouch).

Something should be done about youngsters getting older!

See you in the distance at FLM
  • Thanks Parrotmad,

What is the atmosphere like? How many people usually enter this race?

Getting a bit nervous to be honest, when is it best to start marathon training?

Steve
  • Hi there!

I have entered this! Pretty mad as I am recovering from injury and had to miss paddock Wood half, but I had a very strong feeling I 'had to' do this.

I am really really excited.

I am now training for Dartford half marathon at the end of July, then pumping up the miles for the end of October!
  • Looking at this as my first ever mara. It has been recommended.

My concern is the requirement for losing most of Sundays long run training. The words not being involved with kids and lead balloons come to mind.

Realistically, what is appropriate training distance/levels for one of these.

Done 10K in 52 odd, max covered 14 miles in pain and once did 10 miles in 1 hr 43 so far. Not fussed with time really for mara. 4 something would be fine.

What do you do about going for a wee (or a poo) during the race. I usually carry my own drink but even on twin tanks only last a half, maybe 15 miles.

And what about the burning legs, or do you get used to it?
  • Keep coming back to this thread. If I'm not careful I'll end up entering!

Dustboy - training for a marathon does tend to take over your life. If you're not fussed about time you need to build up slowly but steadily to do at least one 20 miler 3 weeks before race day. As you build up the mileage your legs get used to it, that's what the training is about. You also need to do at least two other session per week. There are loads of training schedules available which you can adapt to suit yourself.

As for loo breaks, most marathons provide portaloos somewhere along the course and all will have regular drinks stations providing water and maybe a sports drink.

Very tempted but not sure if I can commit to training.
  • May do it this year (although I don't generally do races more than once.) Depends partly on whether I get into KIMM. But I have to say, with experience of a few of the supposedly major marathons, Abingdon is my favourite. A real "runners" event. Everyone should do it once and for beginners, it is the ideal first race over the distance.
  • Dustboy - it's great for a first one, ask Shades (on the training thread) for a copy of her schedule - marathon training on 3 runs a week so not as much interference in family life as many of the schedules.

Murf - you know you want to.

Stellina - you'll love it.

Manty - there is great forum support and the marshalls are friendly, well organised. Start training now! What mileage are you currently running in an avarage week? What's your long run?
  • Dustboy
    abingdon is rural
    so dont worry about toilets
    and there are a lot of pubs en route-i know, i visited all their loos the first year i did this

You will neeed one or two proper long runs-ie at least 3 hours on your feet

and dont get hung up on time
    it might be 5 something you do
  • Abingdon was my first (so far only) marathon, and I think a good choice. I was expecting 4:40 ish and was on-target at the 20 mile mark, but did 5:10 due to lack of adequate jelly-babies earlier in the day.

I said I wasn't going to do a marathon this year but I'm soooo tempted to do this one again (faster this time). I might see how the training goes on 3 runs a week and decide in the summer.
  • parrotmadparrotmad ✭✭✭
    Manty, the atmopsphere is very good, but it can get a little lonely on the last few miles! I took an MP3 player with me last year and it was a big help :-) I think it attracts around 900 runners? (someone correct me if i'm wrong!)

I usually follow a 16 week training program (check out the runners world ones they are pretty good!)

Go on, you know you want to ;-)
  • Hi all.

Manty- I found writing out the training plan to be quite reassuring. The long runs do look scary, but you build up to them gradually. I have chosen a 16 week plan, which has 3 runs a week and some cross training. The runs are: 1 speed, 1 tempo, and 1 long. The longest run is 20 and I think there are two of that length. My training starts in July, although I'm going to do some long runs up to 15/16 before then (I don't need to, I just want to :-)). My plan came from RW Feb 2006.

Kx
  • Thanks everybody for your help!!

Going to start looking up some training plans now,

Currently I run Mon, Tues and Thurs nights.

Monday- 10 miles
    Tuesday- 6 miles
    Thursday- speed session (totals up to about 7 miles)

About 23 miles, should look into this maybe add another day in?? Or just add distance to Mon and Tues?

Steve
  • Helloo,

I haven't done a marathon before - thinking about entering this one as it's local & flat :-)

Does anyone have advice for training for this alongside doing triathlons? Is it possible or wise do both?

Cheers
  • Good to see some potential first timers on the list. I'll be running Abingdon for the third time this year, all being well. I used to live there so I know the course well.
  • I'm really glad there are so many first timers on this thread. Also good that there are peeps who know the course and have done plenty of maras, I know I'm going to need some support thro the training.

Manty, 23 is a great base to start from, I am on a similar amount at the moment. Depending on what training plan you decide on, your weekly mileage will go up quite a bit. My plan peaks at about 35 miles (per week).

Hi Loon, have you tried the tri section? I'm sure there are tri athletes who train for marathons too.
  • katieb,

Thanks - will go and lurk in the tri section ;-) When do you plan to peak? I'm just interested in how long it'll take to get there from your current mileage.

I'm only on about 14 miles/week at the mo, just got over latest bout of ITBS. Repeat to self: increase distance SLOWLY...