seen any good flicks lately?

Comments

• "When the skies are a bright canary yellow
    I forget ev'ry cloud I've ever seen..." :)

Yes you were! TMFSS- it's just something I remember seeing at the cinema with the parentals when I was (ahem) extremely young. I thought gave a very good performance, too. Plus Wild Bunch style shoot-out at end! :)

Rachel etc- sounds familiar...

I just watched an awful lot of movies because that's what people did where I spent most of my school years because it was too hot to do anything else. Also in college, everybody went to the movies a lot & discussed films too. In the US, there are so many channels which keep repeating the classics, even then!
    TOTW- I agree, but with some discomfort because of understanding everything that was said at the rally :(
    Wagner- he was anti-semitic, but in the end, music is music.
  • Watching films has always been part of my life.

As a kid my dad would move the settee into the middle of the room Saturday night and me and my sibs would sit side by side watching 'The Yearling' or 'old Yeller'

When I was old enough to escape I quite often bunked off school to watch the 'afternoon matinee' at the ABC in Tuebrook (Liverpool). (First Movie I saw on my own was 'Hard Days Night')

Spent my mid 20's collecting videos and found that doing Film Studies as part of my degree took away some of the enjoyment but added much more...

Am lucky enough to teach this subject (sometimes)
  • We always used to watch films as a family. I used to watch Westerns with my Dad in particular, and then all the action movies with my Dad and brother because I was a bit of a tomboy!
    I think of the places I've lived, people seem to have been most into cinema in Paris. Sometimes, because of the long lunch breaks, some of us at work used to sneak off to the movies! In the early 80's, at least, you got all the major American productions at the big cinemas on the Champs Elysees in the original with French subtitles. I saw Raging Bull, Scanners (another one I forgot!), and many others there first.
    I don't have that many movies, but I've got some good (older) movie star biographies.
  • Have you read 'Salad Days' Douglas Fairbanks JR?.. I've just finished that, very nice read...

Another good one is Elia Kazan 'A life' I read that a few weeks ago but I keep picking it up again and re-reading chapters

I've got about 400 films and TV shows

About 300 VHS 100 DVD... I've also got access to the uni film library... so never a dull moment...

Anyway... I'm looking at a new house tomorrow so off to bed...

Nite!
  • Haven't read it. My particular favourite is "The Moon's a Balloon" by David Niven. "Ragman's Son" (Douglas) is also very good; Kitty Kelley's book on Liz Taylor is entertaining!

'Nite! :)
  • I've read the first two... but not the Kitty Kelly book yet
  • Point noted re Culloden - if I go, I won't be buying any souvenirs! (Must make note to visit in the summer, and to actually stop at the Glenfinnan monument, which I've driven past countless times.)

I always used to watch historical/war films with my dad - it's why I still love that genre. Particularly WWII, but really anything with historic battles in it.

Mind you, I don't know how I managed it. When I watch a film with my dad now, I'm aware that he's constantly asking "who's that?" or "so what are they doing now?" - he loses the ability to think quietly when a film is on. Maybe we only used to watch films he was already familiar with!

Got 'Ronin' on the way at the moment - particularly looking forward to it as we recorded it off TV recently, then spent about 2 hours searching and coming to the conclusion we'd copied over it before we'd watched it.
  • I enjoyed Ronin

The scenario re copying over is very familiar. My ex partner was an aerobics and dance teacher and manys the time i'd settle down to watch a film I'd taped and be confronted by her latest videoed class (which wasn't all bad!)
  • BIOPICS: Cry Freedom, Walk the Line

HISTORICAL/POLITICAL: Thirteen Days, The Parallax View

WAR FILMS: Apocalypse Now, The Hill

COMEDIES: Alfie, Beverly Hills Cop

MUSICALS: Scrooge, Flashdance

ACTION/ADVENTURE: Goldfinger, Point Blank

CHOPSOCKY: Enter The Dragon, Ong-bak

RELIGIOUS: The Passion of The Christ, Life of Brian

SCIFI/FANTASY: Star Wars, Aliens

HORROR: Hellraiser, The Hitcher

MYSTERY/SUSPENSE: The Lady Vanishes, Memento

FILM NOIR: The Night of The Hunter, The Last Seduction

WESTERN: Outlaw Josey Wales, Good, the Bad and the Ugly

TEARJERKER: Don't think I've ever watched one but House of Sand and Fog is pretty emotional and what Rodriguez did to Sin City made me cry

FOREIGN LANGUAGE: La Reine Margot, La Haine

DISASTER MOVIE: Nope, not a fan

PRON FILM: What are those then?

ANIMATED: Beevis and Butt-Head do America, Akira

MINISERIES: Into The West, Lonesome Dove

by no means difinitive but it's what comes to mind now.

:)
  • MEMENTO! How did I miss that?!
  • SVT! Would you believe, I haven't seen Ronin before?!
    About war movies, my Dad was addicted to them, so I saw a fair amount. For obvious reasons, my Mum didn't like them, so she kept well out of the way! :))

The Earl!
    Excellent selection. Forgot about "Cry Freedom". Don't know about "The Hill"- maybe it gets repeated too often...
    I actually listen to the soundtrack of Flashdance more often than I watch it :)
    I prefer "From Russian with love" to "Goldfinger", I think it's the scene in the Istanbul sewage system which clinched it for me :)
    Well, well (heh heh heh).. Beavis & Butthead...who would have thought it! After being subjected to the entirety of the series: my favourite episode was when Beavis downs a 747 with an air rifle...

Alright, FlH- whenever you're ready, where's your list? ;)
  • Not keen on Bond films... Always get bored and restless about ten minutes into the film and start wondering about whether there is any point to all this bollox. Rather watch a good documentary on the national debt of Christmas Island any day of the week…
  • Corinth- you're a snob!!

Major Bond fan! It's a ritual. Sort of like with the "Carry on" films in younger years. See in cinema, watch all the repeats on TV (even with commercials and although one has most of them!).
  • Moomoo, you’re not the first person to reach that conclusion… and probably won’t be the last

I never even liked Bond movies when I was young and impressionable, I just don’t get the point of it all. I’m a passionate fan of Michael Caine’s antidote to Bond Harry Palmer and have enjoyed other ‘spy’ movies… I just don’t get Commander Bond.

I think there are two reasons for this:

1. I was a punk rocker (until the Marine barber shaved off my Spikes) and this anti-establishment attitude still exists deep in my psyche… Bond represents the establishment and as a cardboard revolutionary I can’t bring myself to cheer the good guy…
    2. I was a Grunt… Bond is ‘officer class’ and I HATE OFFICERS!

So, in reality I’m an ‘anti-snob’ down with Bond… up with Bloefelt!
  • I have a Russian sister-in-law. She can't stand Bond either, you can't even talk to her about the films! Should she have no other choice but to watch, she is sadly on the side of "Spectre"... :D

I was a big fan of punk, but sadly I was never at the right place at the right time for the gigs. Almost went to Sham69's farewell concert... :)
  • Unappolgetic Bond fan, particularly Connery & Dalton. 'The Hill' is one of my all time favorite films. Don't think it gets shown very often but it is just plain class.

an absent category

Police/crime Drama: The Offence (another of my all time favorites, I have 2 copies on video and will one day buy a DVD if I can find one), Point Break

• Yeah! Got a screenplay for a Bond-type movie? :)
    I'm more of a Moore/Dalton fan myself. I liked "Goldeneye", but then I thought Pierce gave the air of being just a little bit full of himself. Am looking forward to "The Matador", although they showed the best bits in the trailer I saw recently :(

Em- police is theoretically under action/adventure, innit?
    "The Offence/se"- just read the plot summary, sounds pretty grim...probably plenty of real-life counterparts :(

Earlier today, I walked past the local cinema, Royal charity viewing of "These foolish things" (Anjelica Huston, Lauren BAcall, etc) on later. Nobody there yet except for a few eager young coppers, but I didn't hang about, being of sufficiently Mediterranean aspect and carrying enough bulky shopping bags to potentially be cause for concern...
  • The Offence is pretty much Connery as a tour de force and Ian Bannen in superb form. Decades ahead of Prime Suspect.

I just had a quick look at IMDB and they use tour de force as well. We can't both be wrong. Grim certainly but an absolute must se as far as I'm concerned.
  • I followed The Clash around for their Give em Enough Rope tour 1977... was also into Buzzcocks, SLF etc.

• Not seen 'The Offence' I'm ashamed to say but know of the movie
  • Speaking of cop-type movies, for some reason the word "interrogation" brought to mind an 80's French film I once saw called "Garde a vue", staring Lino Ventura, with Romy Schneider, which consists of the interrogation of a suspect for the murder of two children. Long time ago, and not as brutal as what "The Offence" seems, but I thought very interesting.
  • I didn't follow anyone, Corinth, I just liked the energy of the music :)
  • Went some great post-gig parties, was going to form my own band, even bought a guitar but 'joined-up' instead...

Not seen that one either Moomoo :-(
  • Justl looking at your list Earl... 'Lonesome Dove' was very good indeed... wasn't keen on the sequal though
  • Enjoyed Lonesome Dove, long while ago though wasn't it.

Enjoyed Crash
  • Le Samurai almost made it on my foreign language selection but I can never make up my mind on it. Either I think it's brilliant, stark and stylish or it's soulless and then I'm not sure if that's a fault or not. I don't even know if I enjoy watching it. :O

The Offence doesn't get trotted out on TV much and it wasn't easy to buy but I've just checked amazon and it seems that the dvd is available now so I'll most certainly buy that soon.

Yep, really enjoyed Lonesome Dove and agree the follow-up not so good. I suppose I could have added Rome but that seems to have run away with itself to become a series. One of the best things recently.

Re Bond and the Establishment, never been an issue for me and I'm fairly anti establishment without having followed any particular "anti/counter culture" movements. I'm more anti-anti culture or "a scruffy bee stard".
  • All anti/sub-cultures end up becoming mainstream cultures... rebellion is big business...

I loved the first few episodes of Rome but by the end of the series I'd started to get toga fatigue...

New series due out in late summer.
  • My first alteration would be to add Watership Down instead of Akira or as a weepy. Add in some Kurosawa in the foreign language.

It's funny reading through other people's choices and seeing so many of the same films and films that I would have chosen if I'd remembered them or if I'd been a different mood. Key Largo, The Robe, Lawrence of Arabia, Touch of Evil, Das Boot, Spartacus and Zulu amongst those that I might have added myself.

SVT, I too currently have a Sainbury's list :) and will probably adding some of the films here onto there.

I visited Culloden when I were wee, I don't think they had a visitor centre then or else my parents just didn't want to risk having to buy us claymores. A very desolate place haunted by it's history. It was a typical Scottish weather day as I remember it, sunny, sleet, rain and wind. We were in the middle of a tour of distileries, which didn't charge you then to wander round then. Had a few snifters. Ahh the Scottish respect for legal drinking ages.

• Bond was just boring to me...

Bit like Japanese Motorbikes... well-made, fast, general good all round performance and I can see why people like them... but have always left me feeling underwhelmed for some strange reason...
  • Going to see "Date movie" tonight. No blood and gore or over the top political crimes against the state. Cos my doc says its bad for me. Might watch "Chicken Little" next :-)