Desert Island

2»

Comments

• Hmmmm I really need hours to think about this but for the moment -
    Book: Encyclopaedia Brittanica (if it's still available in print form)
    Food: Pasta
    CD: This is the Moody Blues
    Film: Forrest Gump
  • Off the top of my head v quickly:

book: HMS Ulysses
    food: fresh tuna steak served the Madeiran way
    CD: Low (Bowie)
    Film: The Good The Bad and The Ugly

• ...and can I wash the tuna down with a few cans of DAB??

just looked back at some of the others:

Snoop - Ummagumma!!! Thought I was the only one who still plays anything off that album (The Narrow Way - still stands up 33 years on; also like Sisyphus (pt IV only), the Waters efforts and Eugene live. Pity about Nick Mason's effort...)

Drew - why a book on chess *openings*? The one that would really reward deep desert island study is Kotov's "Think Like a Grandmaster" (also published by Batsford).
  • missed the boat on this as it was a friday pm thing but..

The Third Policeman - Flan O'Brien
    Fresh bread (with butter and a tasty cheddar)
    Songbird -Eva Cassidy
    Groundhog Day - without exception!
  • Ummagumma yes! My first album. When albums were 'large CDs' as my daughter calls LPs.

Book: absolutely nothing to do with wizards and magic hinterlands. Drew and Mike - who would you play chess with?
    Too many to choose from but off the top of my head:
    Midnights Children - Salman Rushdie.
    Food: I'm with the red wine brigade, until I figured out how to distil my own liquor from seaweed and coconut shells.
    Album: Bootleg compilation of Bob Dylan.
    Could I swap a film for a guitar? Then I could holler out Visions of Johanna to my heart's content.
  • Book: something long, difficult, and in a foreign language: probably Robert Musil's 'Der Mann ohne Eigenschaften'.

Food: as long as there is already a water supply on the island, it would have to be pretzels.

CD: Complete symphonies of Gustav Mahler, conducted by Klaus Tennstedt

Film: something by Truffaut. Can't decide yet!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Great thread this one!

As for my choice, that's quite difficult to decide. Like others I'd need hours/days to choose.
    For a book I'd go for fiction, anything by Sidney Sheldon, Martina Cole, Robin Cook, Susan Lewis or John Grisham, maybe Kama Sutra A Tale of Love, or...... - I told you it would take me ages.
    Food: a little easier savoury rice.
    CD: I'll go for CHER The greatest Hits.
    Film: I think it would be The Last of the Mohicans with Daniel Day Lewis- can I take him too?
  • good one

thought about this on sunday's long run.

1. book - the bible (got to get to grips with it)
    2. food - sunday roast
    3.CD peter gabriel live
    4.film sunshine
  • MArtin,

are you going to collate this lot and see if there are any popular themes. For instance favourite food may well turn out to be Red Wine.
  • I may well do that BK - at least we know what to put on everyones Christmas list!
  • book: the diamond age
    cd: early man II
    food: cantonese roast duck
    film: lord of the rings

mm
  • Book - Gone with the Wind and Scarlett
    CD - Best Classics 4cd compilation (I'm just an old fashioned girl!)
    Food - Twiglets
    Film - complete works of Walt Disney?? Otherwise, Legally Blonde or When harry met Sally