Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Ceal
    I do dip in and out occasionally, mostly lurking away in the background. I find this site the most useful ever and have gained a great deal from it. In fact over the past year I have progressed from panting and struggling around a 5k to panting and struggling around a 1/2, now that's progress!!
    I'm off to trot a 1/2 marathon distance any minute now in fact, following the RW half training schedule.
    All the best
    Sue
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Sue,

Probably too late to wish you luck, but I will do it anyway. Was that this years RW half schedule or last years?

You have made immense progress over the last year, a lot of hard work must have gone on. I am sure that Maggie and Gemini will be spurred on by your progress.

Please report back how you have done in your half today.

Talk to you later------
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Most annoying I woke at the usual time, despite going to bed at a late hour, (for me that is).

Sorry good morning peeps, beautiful day.

How's the pin JJ?

How's the neck Maggie?

Gemini, Athletics sounded a bit of a let down last evening, it seems that none of our athletes were able to perform at their best.

What session are you doing today Spud?

Hows my famous Hippo?

Bullfinch I think you must be due back from your hols.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    morning

attempting the long plod/walk/crawl today
  • Options
    Morning Ceal.

Pin's much improved thanks. I'm feeling a little more hopeful that it won't be a long job.

Excellent London social last night so I'm feeling my age this morning.
    JJ
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Good JJ, I have very good vibes about your knee.

I had a good night out last pm and know exactly what you mean about feeling one's age this am. I shall feel it all day until I sleep again! Good job it is a rest day otherwise it would be an enforced rest day!

There is another question for you, from me, on the previous page, when you feel a bit more human!! If you miss this posting I will copy and paste the question later in the day!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Gemini, enjoy your 6 miler, enjoy it, it's a lovely day for it, sunny, blue skies and coolish at present.
  • Options
    The hippo is travelling to North wales today
    back tomorrow
    no running, BAD hippo

???Eccentric?
    Moi?
  • Options
    Ceal.
    I've backtracked to that question. I never measure these things very precisely but I add on the very gentle warmup time at the start but include in the 6 miles the last part of the warmup when I begin to move faster.
    Warmdowns are a very movable feast. I would do only a nominal one if I've done an easier training run but if it's been a very hard session I would want to warm down properly and it would be an addition.
    JJ
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Okay long run over

followed by cold water treatment and bath
    ran for 62:55 was probably about 5.5 miles ran most of it apart from a few stops here and there wasn't sure of distance so i've just measured it on map24 feel okay took it slower maybe next week i'll do the 6 miles, try and measure it in advance before then, but otherwise pretty pleased
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I would think that you are pleased. Gemini. You will have no worries at Southend, by the time the race comes along you will be well in contol.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Thanks for answering my question. I think I was only being so 'exact', because I have been following a programme. Like you, normally, it is how you say, not an exact science, and it is how one feels, and what type of run one has just done.

How do you feel, now that it is afternoon? I feel dreadful! I cannot wait to sit down this afternoon after lunch and hopefully nod off!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Hi everyone :o)

No run today but the neck is feeling much better, not gone but only a slight twinge!

Picked up the puppy this morning so I've been rather distracted. She is beautiful!
    A boxer called Cass after Cassius Clay!

I am off for a post birthday treay today, girls afternoon doing flotation (not tried it before) followed by dinner and the cinema! Lucky me!

I hope all are well and I will check on you tomorrow when I have more time.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Maggie, so pleased to hear there is an improvement in neck. I hope you all enjoy Cass. Flotation will be good for the neck etc. What film?
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Maggie great name for your new dog

boxers are absolutely adorable
  • Options
    Hi I'm back, well I have been for a while actually. I carefully measured my route with a piece of string with a knot at 13.1 miles. Just one nasty uphill otherwise downhill or flat, lovely day for running, sunny but not too warm. Well here's the suprising bit, well gobsmacking really, my peice of string must be short I reckon, but I did the whole run, only stopping twice for a very quick pit stop, in 1.55.01!!! (I do stop my watch while I am in the loo)
    I so enjoyed the run, my average HR was 132, I finish my run at a kiddies paddling pool, so off come the trainers almost as good as an ice bath, especially today, I must have looked a right prawn sitting there at the side of the pool just enjoying the feeling of a good relaxing run.
    I'm going to do it again next week just to proove that it wasn't a fluke!!!
    have to go now to play with some percentages and charts :-((
    Be back later
    Sue
  • Options
    Maggie, good luck with yout dog, I agree, great name, we had one called Bruno! They are adorable dogs.............thick, but adorable!!!!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    CDK/Sue, A very impressive training session. How on earth do you measure that sort of distance with a piece of string? there are map references that one can use online to measure one's run. I am not sure of the address but someone will fill you in later I am sure. Maggie or Gemini maybe. That is very fast for a training run if the distance is correct, you are obviously a natural, well done.
  • Options
    Nope, I've rechecked and my string was short :-( , I did around 12.5 miles probably, still it was fun!!
    I have tried some of the on line map measurers such as trailblazer, but I think I must be doing something wrong, because it is just not very accurate when compared with an OS map.
    I just peeped in but I have to play with my charts again I'm afriad
    Back later
  • Options
    Hi Peeps, I am a bit late posting today as the computer refused to log in this morning.

JJ, how is that lovely leg of yours?

Hi Maggie, great news about the dog and the neck.

Hi Ceal!

Gemini, actually, the record for shot computer is 17 metres and done by a russian.

Hi Sue, welcome to the mad house.
    Tell us more about yourself.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Sue. still a good training run. Just over 9 min miles. What charts do you have to browse over on a Saturday?
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    I use www.map24.co.uk to measure my runs
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the 5000m race today, how about you Gemini? Of course the 100x4 was good and I will have problems watchin it tomorrow, my finger nails will go through it. Also the last long jump by Eunice B was brill. What about Kelli white---------!

JJ if you log in at all how are you feeling, I am just starting to feel human again!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    5000m was brill tonite

last day tomorrow
  • Options
    Ceal. Good news that you are actually human. :-)) How was the dentist btw?

Hi Superspud.

Knee's marginally less painfull, thanks Spud & Ceal, but I'm getting closer to chewing the door post with each passing day.

Just finished listening to Mahler's 1st. Symphony on Beeb 2. Absolutely brilliant. Not for nothing is it named Titan'.
    JJ
  • Options
    World champ marathon was good too. 15mins for each 5k until the second-last when they ran 14mins 25. Sickening when they run that quick at the END of a maratnon!
    JJ

• Options
    Final post for this evening.
    Quite a lot of good stuff on training in the latest Runners World including a good bit on older runners' recovery and amount of rest needed.
    JJ
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ,I am glad you think that I am human, because sometimes I think I am virtual!

I have not received the latest RW yet, therefore, look forward to reading/receiving it.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Morning

legs feel fine. dreading waking up today to find them stiff.