How long was FLM on your Garmin?

Comments

• no still stuck, bet fat buddahs laughing!!!!
  • Ahhh But how do you know the miles markers are in the correct position if your Garmin isn't working ?

• This is getting silly now, I am off to the shops, 1.2 miles away, thats by the car mileometer, tried sticking my arm out the window to get more accurate distance but everyone though I wanted to turn right
  • hahahahahahahaha......

yep Paris......
  • Getting silly ?

Nah that started 34 posts ago !
  • I was warned not to expect too much around the city fom the garmin as signals are unreliable amongst tall buildings - the major benefit for me was trying to keep a steady pace over the last 4-5 miles, i.e. around 8 min/mile so I could get inside 4 hours. I don't think it's particularly anal to do so, Deena Kastor had two blokes basically doing the same thing (er.. pacing her I mean).

The total distance at the end is simply of academic interest - but interesting all the same if there are big variances.

I did actually run quite a long way along the blue line, but it did seem there were various places you could cut the corner and run inside the blue line. Does this mean you could end up running less than 26.2 ?
  • YOU THINK THATS FUNNY FB, WHAT ABOUT THIS,MY CHIP FELL OFF, SO DONT MATTER WHAT THE BLOODY GARMIN SHOWED, THEY GOTTO RELY ON GUNTIME PHOTOS AT THE START AND WHO I CROSSED THE LINE WITH TO SORT OUT OFFICIAL TIME, HA HA BLOODY HA ,,NOT TO WORRY THOUGH HAD A FANTASTIC DAY ENLOYED EVRY MINUTE IF IT.AND WOULD OD IT ALL AGAIN
  • hee hee Paris - next time without the Garmin eh?? you're obviously jinxed.....

PS - do you need lessons in how to use a Tyvek strip to tie a chip onto your shoe???

bad luck though
  • For what it's worth, my 301 came in on 26.18 miles. A little over throughout as not on the blue line, and then lost a chunk on the curved underpass on the IoD, also as you would expect. The only other time it seemed to lose it was around Canary Wharf. No complaints from me. Apart from "why am I a crap runner" obviously.
  • Hey fb, do you think if I told them I saw the chip come off, spent ages trying to put it back on and allowing for the fact I did actually run nearly 28 miles, they may agree I could have run fast enough to get on the elite start next year?
  • FB...quite a few chips became victims of the weather yesterday..rain and tyvek strips don't seem to work too well. I must say they are not the easiest of things to thread through your laces...although I imagine you can do it with one hand up yr a**l!!!? ;-)

Just looked at my Garmin data again and it seems I ran up a very steep hill at 18 miles too....perhaps I did go up in the tardis!!
  • easy peasy Dips.........especially when you have 6 fingers like me..........just like my mothersisteraunt has......

talking of chips - I was outside Buck House waiting for my missus to come along and the marshalls were pulling out all those without numbers - aka cheating b*stards just along for the ride - one guy pulled out had put a chip on his shoe and kept pointing to that to say "look - I have a chip - I'm kosher"............he didn't win the argument! probably saved it from a different race.........
  • Mine said I only did 25.77 miles and when I was actually walking at one point it told me I was doing 7.14min miles!!!!

• 26.66 for mine - an old 201. Seems from this they're better than the new ones!

• AndrewB10AndrewB10 ✭✭✭
    A couple of times mine switched from mins per mile to miles per hour which confused me. Nevertheless, I love mine and am sure it helped me improve my time
  • uploaded the data now - apparently I made a speedy jaunt at 1:30 mil pace over to Notting Hill and back, passing nearly directly through the bar in the Thistle, funnily enough!!!
  • So it was you XFR who nearly knocked me off my feet at the bar...dunno how we ended up there!
  • I reckon I did more the 26.2 and thats without gps
  • My 305 showed 26.75 at the end only lost signal once going through the underpass at start of isle of dogs
  • My 305 showed 26.50,lost signel on underpass like M F,but i was not useing
    distance page ,all way round from start to finn kept custom page on %MHR/LAP SPLITS(EVERY MILE) & AVG LAP %MHR.Ran perfect race !.kept in 84%/94%mhr & got best time for 15yrs!since i done 2.40.08 in 1991.
    2hrs 45mins 04 secs this year.My 301 is priceless,best coach ever!just as long u
    understand all your H/R values & your own
    body stress levels.
  • just one prob tho,cannot get finn time from
    results page!.
    any one else had same problem!!.
  • Have you got a middle name
  • Happy Garmin running...if only to wind up buddha...<<<<gggg>>>> I'm dipping out now.
  • Plodding hippo,
    James L Heath.
  • My 301 was almost bang on at each mile marker until the Canary Wharf area which predictably sent it haywire, final distance was 26.75 miles. I make that about 2% error, I seem to remember being taught in Physics at school that you have to assume a 5% instrument error at the best of times so I'm happy.
  • James
    OMG

I have lloked up your time
    ffffimg BRILLiANT

you got it now?
  • Ha! Move over Charmin' Garmins, my Polar S625X was spot on at 26.2!! However that could have been just a fluke....

I was at the blue start - it measured the first mile as 0.96; from mile 2 to mile 12 it was just about spot on; after that, no more than about 25 metres or so off the markers till about mile 20, then I kept forgetting to look - my brain stops working after about 18 miles!!

It is quoted as +/- 3%, which means I could have expected anything from 25.4 to 27 and still be within the quoted accuracy.

I didn't follow the blue line, so I guess I actually ran further than 26.2 miles anyway.

Two things are important for me here -
    firstly no loss of signal as it's not GPS;
    and secondly I use it primarily as a pace guide as I trust the FLM chaps can measure a distance accurately!!

And I don't really care that the pace it shows me is ACCURATE, as long as it is CONSISTENT - I know I wanted to keep at an indicated 8:45 pace 'cos that's what I did in training. I don't mind if that's really 8:35 or 8:55 - I just know I can sustain the indicated pace.

The only way to measure the course accurately is get one of those measuring wheel thingies that road surveys have and follow the blue line ..... maybe I'll go in a 'road-measuring person' costume next year, with a POlar on one foot, a 301 on one arm and a measuring wheel in the other ....
  • having looked at that route I took on Google Earth, I've realised that some of the 0.15 mile overscore was due to me staying at the support point at mile 17 and alking about, so actually the reading would be within about 0.05 before I lost the signal. I'm sure a lot of that comes from wandering off the line (to pee for a start!) so it's actually bloomin' accurate
  • I didn't wear my 305 or my S625X as I knew the stress of the bl**dy things going wrong would freak me out.