Sub 3

Comments

• Monique.. wrap the bike up in a blanket for the winter & go for the ultimate target, you know it makes sense.   

- Wardi's advice after my last post.

That is just what I have done apart from 45 ish miles on Sunday to the cycling club christmas dinner.

Sooo I spent a happy couple of hours entering races that tie in with my Bruce Tulloh marathon schedule (RW 1997).

I am not going to be a Johnny -one-post this year. I mean business.

Was/is there a list of times somewhere for this year.? I could add mine if it's not so far off the bottom it's under the desk.

Next job- to buy some Wasp custom kit in my new club's colours- the prospect of turning up in crop top and pants combo aids weight loss.

tootle pip chapsimage

• CJ So you guys train on a Tuesday? What time and where? I'll see if I can make it over. Could do with a little blast.

BTW I didn't see any victories yesterday. I saw 12 people in front of me, 11 if you exclude women and 2 if you only count people older, 1 if you only count people nearly 10 years older...so the word first is a tad misleading in my world.

Mon - may be returning to the Lakes in May with Cartman. Be good to be reacquainted with 'that field'. Come on make 2011 the year. Probably best not to get injured along the way as a first step.

As you tootle pip.
  • A very tough run for me today and a couple of questions. I tried to do a tempo run but with no food and just 15 mins after waking up. I managed 9 miles in just under an hour, but it felt terrible. I´m used to doing tempo´s later in the day with food inside me and having been awake for longer.
    Anyone else struggle with speedwork/tempo´s without eating?
    Should I leave tempo´s to after work/weekends where I can eat before I run?

Sorry to ask so many questions, it´s just difficult to find time to run in the evenings when I travel so much and I know this forum has lots of experience

• CRAB, it's well-known that you don't count old blokes finishing so high up they're in the overall prizes.  I have a prize from the Ballbuster that says 1st, and even though there were two other over 40s in front of me that won't stop me spending the cash, even though it was less than the race entry.

But as you say, a victory it was not.

Getting chicked though, is another matter.

TJK, I'm never great if I try & run soon after getting up.  The occasions that I run to work are never my best runs, but it's still training.  There's something to be said for running when you're not at your best, you get used to it.

• TJK - I can always run much faster at lunchtime than at Gobi o'clock

• Ouch Ode! Personally, if I had it, I wouldn't think twice about maximising my usage of it. Why wait if you're covered? Fingers crossed for you, and cheers image

TJK - you can do effort in the mornings, but it takes a while to get used to pre-breakfast. I would suggest working to HR ranges rather than pace. That way at least you'll be hitting the prescribed effort even if you're not awake enough to hit pace.

3m jog this morning. All still good. Actually feeling better by the day image

• TJK: I can't run fast straight out of bed. I can do tempo efforts before breakfast, but it still has to be an hour or so after waking up (and to be honest I don't believe a bowl of cereal is really the crucial element in a tempo run, it's too short to need any kind of carb-loading).

ZaTTu: you're getting there, very nice to see.

Decent effort this morning, 12M at 6:38mm. 6M at low 7s bracketed 6M at low 6s. Happy with that.

• Hi Guys

Missed a week or so.  Looks like usual mixed bag we have become used to in last few months, with some highs (well done, ZaTTuimage) and lots of niggle/injury lows.  I had another annoying low level sickness (the joys of young kids!) in the last week, but have still been jogging a bit.  Had a mysterious sore heel ('bruised heel' as described in Noakes' Bumper Book of Running) which passed but I think altered my gait enough to give me knock-on calf pain which only seems to have passed in the last day or so.  I had a massage from a big German man today, and he was disappointed not to find any really sore bits to torture, so looks promising. 

In short, running has been fairly carp since end of October, and I now plan to rest for a few days, build up fairly slowly, and start with a vengeance straight after xmas. 

• Hail Hail

Well done the racers even if they were training with a number on.

Getting really fed up with the ice up here.  The snow melted, then it froze solid over the weekend, then it melted a bit, then it froze over again meaning that there is black ice everywhere even off-road.  Have used the mill the last 2 days, and while I may be hitting the 5.xx's, I can only take so much more of the Tantrum Tevez reporting.

TJK - saw this, and thought of you!

• Hail Hail

Forgot to say - best mending wishes to Ode/marigold

• Looks like the Pfitzinger devotees doing London are in full swing with the first week of the 18-week program. JiffleKing - I remember that first workout of the 18/70 program well - hitting 4 miles at HMP was a bit of a shock to the system!

As for me, I woke today with a post-work-xmas party hangover staring at my own copy of Advanced Marathoning and just thought - nah! I don't think I quite have the base right now to jump up to a 55 mile week, and I think any official plan is going to be derailed when I go to Mallorca for a week over christmas. So for now I'm just going to do as much as I can - trying to run every day, throw in a bit of tempo from time to time and try to go longer and longer - then hit the 12/70 program in 6 weeks. Or just keep doing my own thing, we'll see.

I'm 90% sure I'm going to do a fall marathon and I think I can be significantly fitter for that than London. I really prefer training in the summer, and I'm willing to get after it and push things up to 80-90 miles a week if I can handle it. So as of right now my London goal is modest - PB by 0:00:01.
  • Howdy folks. Today started the beginning of the 18 week up to 55 mile P +D schedule (Just don't tell anyone i'm not running VLM, nor do I even have a marathon to run when the schedule ends!)

I still have a dodgy calf but it's probably just nothing. Ended up doing 4 miles tempo with 2 either side. I felt a bit cheeky so pushed the last 2 miles of the 'cool down'. Not very wise really...

I really hope I'll last the next 17 weeks or so without injury and see a big improvement on my running. Good luck to everyone else actually training for a marathon which exists!
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Messi - why don't you just find a marathon and enter it by the way?  there's plenty of other ones around i think that time of year in UK/Europe.

I have jogged for the 2nd day in a row, just 5 miles mind after 4 yesterday - tentatively edging towards the end of the bench here i hope as not too many knee niggles....  better not push my luck tomorrow, back on cross trainer i think, then try for another 2 days in a row on thurs/fri.

• selbs - Where is a good place to look for marathon dates? I've googled of course but can't seem to find an extensive list..
  • messi - http://www.marathonguide.com/
    tends to be more thorough for the USA, but it's a pretty good list.
  • I think there's also something called the international association of marathons - google them and there's an international list.
  • Hail Hail

Good news selbs.

Messi - all these are in the UK around (or not too far off VLM day) - Shakespeare, Lochaber, Edinburgh (wee bit later mind).  There's a couple of others that I cant remember - Bungay maybe?  Gobi knows the smaller ones better than me.  For foreign marathons, I like to use AIMS.

• Hail Hail

Great minds Joolska.

• Cheers for the "healing" best wishes all.

Nice to see all the P&D plans kick starting image Can't go far wrong with them if you follow them properly from my experience. 24 week up to 70 miles got me a 2:35 in 2008. Didn't deviate from the plan and I think I missed one days training out of the 24 weeks.

CRAB - You should go to the Tuesday club sessions, there is a guy that goes almost every week that has exactly the same ability and fitness as you......come to think of it, he looks a bit like you as well.

Not running so got bored and set up my own site for blogging, hopefully will be a able to report on some actual training soon.

www.steveway.co.uk
  • Me again,

Crab- what field do you mean? I am confused. Cartman and myself swore our way over quite a few stretches of the Lake district on Fred Whitton, are you doing that?

In the light of my audacious threat to go for a sub three, I thought I'd better back it up and do more than my customary 3 mile run with the dog slithering about in mud. So did an 8 mile run with only 2 miles of slithering. I haven't quite adjusted to running before the light fails and unlike Leeds where there are pavements and street lighting it's safer to be out on the lanes in daylight here.

I might even push the boat out and do some speed work.

I'm desparate to get back to some standard distance road racing but want to make sure my speed is up a bit before I show myself up in a 10k.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Selbs - sounds good, little and often !

TJK  - I did some tempo/MP runs before VLM at 6am fuelled by fresh air. It'd probably be easier later in the day, but it doesnt really matter. Its all aboyt spending a bit of time out of the comfort zone or in the hurt box.

Marigold - I'd say that 24 weeks with only one day missed is more about the consistency than the shedule. A schedule just gets you out the door.

Blogging ! Is that another thing for the kids ?

• TR - Totally agree re the consistency, it does play a passive part and I probably would have run sub 3 whatever my training looked like with 24 weeks of solid training up to 70 miles a week.
    I do believe though that the structure and components of the plan are what enabled me to 6min mile on the day.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Agreed, just seen a few folks recently debating which plan to use, most plans include the same stuff and for most folks of my level (rather than yours) its more about the consistency and running regular miles than the name it goes by, the contents of the shedule make more of a difference at your level. 
  • Not so sure about that TR, everyone has a limit based on their "natural ability" and I would say if there is no structure to your training you are not going to get close to that limit. Follow a P&D 18-24 week 70 mile a week plan properly and you will be get a lot closer.
    Getting to your actual full potential would involve deviating from a generic plan and building on what works for you over a number of campaigns but those plans will probably get you 90% there.
  • JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Well I gave the P&D 10M w 4 @ HMP a shot today and the main thing I discovered was that I am still a long way away from HM shape image. HR said HMP, but pace didn't seem to agree! Still 18 weeks to go, and if I was in HM shape now I would probably peak, then crash and burn long before I reach Boston, so will it as a positive image.

Good to see more progress from zaTTu.

Hopefully see some training on that blog soon Marigold.

• Marigold - Bloody hell, I just checked out your blog you posted earlier. I didn't have any idea you were that fast! You mention you ran 6 minute miles while aiming for a sub 3. How did that come about? Did you gradually notice you were running too fast on training runs and decide to stick to the paces?
  • Messi - Still only No 2 on the thread though image

Regarding the pace, I made sure during the whole schedule I stuck to running to effort rather than any particular pace and so just watched the tempo and marathon pace runs gradually get faster. I used my last MP run in the schedule to help me decide on a target, which came out at roughly 6m/m.
  • Had a bit of fun running this evening.  8M @ 7.30m/m as I got caught up in a bit of a tussle on the Portway with a guy who was determined not to be chicked.  I chuckled when he stopped to turn off the Portway because he was dripping with sweat and puffing like a nuisance caller.  I was still feeling comfy image

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Marigold - you're getting my level mixed up with yr level. I''m talking about approx 3 hrs folks that would benefit from more consistent training, rather than folks trying to be the best they can possibly be. The extra time and miles required to make that extra 10% is required to get to the next level up, and you are a level or 2 up on that again. A PnD 70 mile plan, is probably the best place to start for someone that is looking to take it seriously.
    I'd take the 90% myself, but dont run enough miles to get there. One of the things most schedules do not mention is that folks should sit down and work out a manageable amount of training time that they can put in and then subtract a bit more to ensure that it really is achievable every week, rather than hopefully achievable.

JAP - keeping some of the matches in the match box is the name of the game at this time of yr. I was into 3 months of nothing less than 10M this time last yr and it achieved the square root of fck all and stopped me running if I didnt have a 75min window. I'm happily ticking off 45 and 60 min runs at the mo.