Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the replies re my foot niggle. There is no obvious connection though between the lacing and the area of pain. The area of pain is pretty much exactly where my foot strikes the ground.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

FR - no idea, but be careful. Have a bit of a surf for foot injuries, but dont talk yourself into having beri beri, or the plague (I know what Mortons Neuroma feels like though !)

60 min turbo bagged, inc 10 x 4min/1min with the efforts at 75 rpm on the aerobars (cos Gordo says it will make men of my legs - and its a lower HR session, so a good choice after Sunday).

• Options

FR - I had a spell of what I think was a tendinitis / tendinosis in the front-middle of one foot last year, just around Spring marathon time. Base of the middle toe, or slightly further back. I ran the marathon (and had been doing plenty of key training up to that) in lighter than usual shoes. A podiatrist said rest until it recedes (I rested / x-trained for 4 weeks, but I was in no rush, being post-mara) and don't wear such light (and flexible) shoes, or at least not as often. Since then I've had no reoccurence, and been wearing regular cushioned shoes for 80-90% of miles, saving the lighter shoes for sessions. Not idea if that's what you have, but it sounds similar at least.

SlimJ - fingers X-ed for today, then.

• Options

FR interested in your response because I'd have added to the tight lacing thoughts above having had something similar with that a couple of years ago. Nice mileage last week so would it do much harm to switch to the treadmill and nice and slow for a bit? Or even for your recovery runs?

In answer to your HM question: definitely 1h14xx will be the aim!  We shall see!

TR hopefully not me! Actually I'll be starting several minutes behind you probably from Pen 1 so presumably VLM is definitely a chip time not gun time event?!

10m nice n' easy uphill into school this morning 7'50 HR137 after a very easy 4m wimble yesterday on the treddy followed by stretching. All feeling fine. Decent track session lined up tomorrow.

• Options

Well the dust has settled 2 days after the BCN marathon and a number of things become clear. Barcelona appears to be a good marathon in terms of organisation and course. This assumes that you are aware of the first 4km climb and the final 4km which is also a climb. I also missed Sagrada Famillia for the second year on the trot despite making the effort to see the sights... oh well. It was also great to see a fellow forumite on the run and at the end. It was genuinely nice to talk running with someone at the end of a race who you know understands the amount of effort it takes to get there. I also really enjoyed going to the pub to meet the forumites who were happy to share tales and tease me about a cracking time.In terms of the race, it gives me good confidence for London and is making me think about the target time. I´ll decide in a couple of weeks I think, but it was nice to run a -ve split and a 19:36 5k from 35-40km as a tester for the legs. No regrets on not targetting this race, but all systems go for London.

One standout for me was the 3 hour pacer who was pushing a baby runner which for the first few miles I thought was full of water for the pacers... ummm no, a small child was seen poking his hand out and seemed to be having a great time waving at everyone. Quite how one runs sub 3 with a pushchair is anyone´s guess, but a great sight. As for training, rest yesterday and just 6 tonight in Geneva followed by a couple of 10 milers to get me back into the swing of things. Then we will see how things go for London and I´ll know if running a 26 mile PB was to the aid or detriment of the real effort.

Most important to me was the performance of my wife though. After 10 months out last year and 3 days a week, so really nail only your second marathon and get good for age was fantastic. Running only a 30 second +ve split and running so consistently shows that mentally getting the marathon right is as important as the physical. My wife would say that she is not a natural runner, but to get everything right (diet, training, mental preparation, sleep, delivery of performance) and beat your "A" target is incredible.

I´ve taken a few lessons like to run more on feel, not to look at the watch too much, focus focus focus.I´m sure that most of you being experienced marathoners know this, but it´s good to know that the forumula worksThanks to so many of your for the continued advice & support. from ZaTTu¨s long run advice, MTR´s consistent training,  Meeting Dan A by chance on Las Ramblas last year through a friend and wanting to run 2:45, Gobi´s incredible attitude to training, Coro doing the same sort of travel as me and being much quicker etc etc etc  Also a Thankyou to those who when I post mention by training. I don´t really have time to read back through everything and comment, but it does give you a boost when someone mentions your name, so Thankyou....

Well done TMAP, another sub 3 and I am sure that you have much more in you.One final note to the friends who read this (one of whom has sub 3 and the others who will do soon) thanks for all your support.... Now.... Onto London where there will be many great performances... I hope mine can be one of them... T-J-K

• Options
    The WR for a baby jogger marathon is 2:32:10 according wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Wardian
    This Wardian guy is pretty crazy, especially setting the 200m indoor track record; I think attempting that would drive most of us insane.

I did a short test run this morning and it seems my problem is a calf strain. I had something similar in my Berlin build-up, which went away after about 5 days of rest, so hopefully the same will happen this time.
  • Options

Just had the most enjoyable read back - great to see so many great performances.  Apologies if I miss anyone.

Performance of weekend and that take some doing on this thread and especially this weekend goes to RWH, wow.

FR, 2 minute pb, good to know it was measured correctly this time, also cracking pbs from RB and  Mr B.

Very good 20 mile racing from RMR, BR, and Hilly Particularly impressive from HH and SJ.

Great sub 3's in Barca from Tmap and TJK.

Padams, impressive given that training week.

Nice training from Wardi, RS , Drifter and CW.

Solid run from Joolska looks promising for rest of season.

Marigold - awesome as usual.

Best wishes to other halves of TR and SJ, RWH hope the little one is getting better.

As for me it was Wymondham 20 on Sunday.  I had a mild stomach bug on Saturday evening, I decided to run but did take some tissues in my pocket just in caseimage.  Was using it as training run so had a  time of 2:20 in mind.  Set off a little fast but felt comfortable at 6.45-6.50ish pace so kept that going, I started to get a few stomach issues at 15 miles but decided to keep going rather than join the alfresco club.  Had to run on my own for 16 miles which was a good mental test but would have been glad to have been in a group as was a bit breezy at times. Finished in 2:15:02 - was a bit gutted not to get under 2.15 in the end but last stretch was a winding road so didn't see the clock till the last 50m.  That said very happy at the overall time - a pb but hey thats easy when its your first race of that distanceimage.  I could have kept that pace for another few miles but not sure I could have for another 6 but I have a few months to work on that before Amsterdam. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

KB - show it planty of hot water bottle.

Well done Mr and Mrs JK

RWH - seconds not minutes before you cross the line. I'll be expecting you to rumble past after a few miles.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

sub-3 pushing a baby jogger is quite cool TJK.

FR - I read somewhere that putting your phone on vibrate, pressing it against the sore point and ringing it will apparently give you an indication - if it is a sf it should be really painful. In between, bin the flats. Why take an unnecessary risk with them?

Sounding much more positive again today TR. Nice one.

I figured it might be an idea to find a race to put at the end of all this 5k-10m work and see if it has done anything. As luck would have it, the Ranelagh Richmond 10k falls at the end of my last cut-back week at the very end of my 5k-10m work before I begin the transition to mara specific, so ideal timing really. Looking at the times from last year I can see a good thread presence, as well as good depth. To those who have done it before, I assume it's a decent course?

Need to have a root around to see what else is out there, but possibly a few track races as well if I can find some that fit around Mrs ZaTTu's exams at the start of June.

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

TJK - pushing a baby and running a sub 3, lol How rubbish my 2.58 now feelsimage

Murph - nice pb

Drifter - I'm boxing the marathon up until next year after London so I'm torn between just going for it and seeing what happens (2.50) or running a more sensible approach which will probably end up feeling difficult anyway, lol I think if I went under 1.20 in Fleet I'll go for 2.50 and just see what happens and ease off it its obviously out of my league (which I think it probably is currently, 2.52-55 being attainable) To be honest after getting sub 3 in Amsterdam in Oct my approach/mindset is still pretty relaxed about it all.

Slim - fingers crossed

Well as soon as I typed "uninterrupted week" last night I probably tempted bloody fate. My 4m recovery run felt fine yesterday but I noticed pm my tibialis anterior was a bit tight/sore and today it hasn't gone away. It's about the lowest level of injury/niggle but it's enough to put me out of action for today which is an extra bugger as the weather is superbimageimage Sundays 24 miler is imperative so I'm taking extra precaution to ease back into things even if it doesn't hurt and is just a little tight. I shouldn't really be moaning though when there are people out with serious complaints!!

• Options

Hail Hail

Quality reports all.  Love it.

Best wishes to all those on the bench or wondering if they should sit down on it.  Healing vibes to you all.

RS - you asked yesterday - yup got a season book that I havent used as productively as I should have this year (and I'm missing some decent football being played/sideline entertainmentimage).  Interestingly, this week alone I have sold stuff to players/coaches from both sides - Bougherra (aka TRAMP)  and Alan Thompson (Asst Manager at my lot).  Thommo was real class - dead nice.  I wont mention Bougherra's attitude. 

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

RS.. good luck with that soreness.  It sounds a bit tighter than our defence was on Saturday! 

TR.. nice work on the Turbot again.  Do you wear as many layers in the garage as you do in the photo?

Murph.. congrats on the 2:15, nice work.

TJK.. a very nice post indeed, hope you fly around VLM.

Slim J.. fingers crossed for your hospital news.

BR.. you have a habit of flying around 20m races, well done again!  Great time from Hilly as well.

HH.. top notch 20m and 1st prize on less than terra firma, very impressive.

Dull.. still a good effort, really sorry to hear the old cramp is still bothering you.  Have you given up trying to find a cure? 

Barnsy.. cracking run at Norton, nice run from Nelblade too.  BTW Nelblade I would advise against trying to run through shinsplints.  I merely say this because I once tried to run through the same and it put me on the bench for 4 weeks.  Probably not what you want to hear but it is well intentioned.

Clearly.. good effort in the half, have you decided what your revised target is for VLM?  (I might be looking for company!)

4.2 done before work, 7m with the club tonight.

• Options
    6 weeks to go and 130 odd miles run so far this year- looks like I'm back to the same old sub 3.15. Who ever saw that coming.image
  • Options
    However I will stay on this thread- like mixed sex wards it's an aspiration
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Quick question - looking at the Barca videos, I reckon I lose forward momentum from swinging my arms too much from side to side.  You can see it affecting my whole torso.

Is this something that coaches would look at, or does it not really matter?  It's quite noticeable compared to the other runners around me.

Never really seen myself running before - I do look quite relaxed though, which is good.

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Monique: How come? Too much time biking or injury?

Tmap: It will be a factor. I know I could improve my arm technique, I hold them too low and don't move them enough.

TJK: Nice report and thoughts on Barcelona - sounds like a goodie.

Sounds like we're entering niggle-city as we get close to peak training time. Best of luck to all.

I was due to run an interval session today. No chance of the track tonight as it's Mrs MtR's birthday. But I couldn't face them on the Embankment - legs were a bit goosed after the last week's training (inc 13 yesterday). So I just did a slow 7 miles in lovely sunshine wound the central London parks. HR nice and low, but I doubt I could have got out of 2nd gear if I'd tried.
  • Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭
    MtR: I had a similar feeling about the same session; 6x1000m @ 5k pace. Talked myself into it eventually even though the quads were still a bit iffy from the weekend. Did the session down on the seafront in lovely weather and a big helping of tailwind for all 6 efforts. Ave pace: 5.37; 5.28; 5.29; 5.34; 5.34; 5.35. I was flagging by the end and had to pay the price of running back into the wind. 12 miles for the session.
  • Options
    Some great results from the weekend

Really pleased for BR - view it as a stepping stone please!
    Slimj thats a cracking time - what are you hoping for at london?

RWH well done on a great result. Just a point to note (and I'm sure you'll ignore it anyway!) 2 years ago I broke 60 for 10 miles on the sunday, broke down the following weekend jumping straight back into tough training presuming I was alright. Put me out of london, tough to take

Loads of other cracking results (sorry!) I read back last night but couldnt post til today

FR - can you go and see someone?
  • Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭
    WTGY: I'll take your point of note. I was just stood in the shower thinking about this time last year. I'd just ran a pb at MMH and I'd gone out on the Tuesday and ran an interval session quicker than I should, just like I just did today. On the Wednesday I did 15 miles much too quick and developed an achilles problem which cost me about 80 miles training and I only just got away with it. I'm due to run 15 tomorrow. This will now be a general aerobic run and not the usuall progressive midweek medium long run I usually do....thanks for reminding me.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Monique - thats about CRABs mileage for the yr and it didnt slwo him much on Sunday. Woman up ! I bet you're doing soem sort of decaman or something anyway.

MtR - all miles are good miles.

MrB - careful there dude, that was pretty close to a flat out 1/2, they take tiem to get over. Impressive stuff all teh same.

WTG - I'm listening, no smacking it for me this week (in the trainers that is !).

Wardi - more layers on when I turbo.

I feel better after this MMH than I have in the past, but the I was about 6 mins slower than last time I did it ! I'll have them back at VLM.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    MrB - just saw your later post - well played. Its all there for you to use or lose, so no risks now ! If in doubt do less ! I shall have my easy running arm chair out in the morning.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TMAP - it does make a difference and if you really are twisting it is worth sorting out.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

hmmm - think I've been causing trouble by focusing on straightening out my splayed right foot, but wrenching the whole of the upper body round is a bad way to do that.  I'd actually noticed myself doing it even before I saw the video, but it's much more noticeable than I thought.

Tricky one as I imagine it's easy to tense up if you try and keep the arms more straight.  I'll experiment gently when I get back running (hopefully tomorrow evening).

• Options

Wardi - I plan to run London by heart rate - I felt that it worked really well for me in Dublin last year.  Assuming that the next few weeks goes reasonably well I'd expect that to bring me in somewhere between 3:05 and 3:10.  If I find myself going slower than my GFA of 3:10 I'll be upping the pace to ensure that I'm inside it.

Mr B - Sounds like a good move.

I did 6.5 easy ones with 2 of them a little quicker but nothing that wasn't slow.  My right calf was pretty tight beforehand but loosened up during the run and feels fine now.  The most recent plan had 13 pencilled in for tomorrow but that was before Bath turned into an all out effort so I think I may need to make an adjustment and hopefully get back to plan on Friday.

Tmap - I've been working on very similar things with my physio for a while.  I'm currently thinking that rather than try to turn my foot in I need to strengthen my hip flexors.  For arms I wonder if focusing on putting your thumbs pointed to the sky might not be a useful trick for you.  If the area is just tight then there are plenty of stretches you can do.  If you have P&D they have a couple in there using a gym ball

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Clearly.. good luck with that, have you had a GFA before?  One of the advantages of being a coffin dodger is getting a whole 5 more minutes to qualify for a GFA!  Luxury. 

TMap.. could it be a core problem or are you a 6-pack toting beefcake?  image

• Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

While I am indisputably a beefcake, in a sort of balding, skinny, asymmetric and badly proportioned way, I have lazy core strength and the problem is that I need to do the glute-strengthening exercises and hip dips like the physio said, and on a regular basis, not just when it starts hurting.  Instead, I'm trying to just correct it on the run.  It's quite startling to see it so clearly in action though.

• Options
    Wardi - No previous GFA, Dublin was my first marathon and it took 3:24.  Forgot to add in my previous note that I'd feel privileged if our paths cross during London.  Following your SS experience a few years ago was my very first experience of the forums.  What kind of time do you think that you're looking at this year?
  • Options

Murph Nice 20 there, sounds quite tough running on your own for so long but obviously went well.

Zattu Not sure when you're looking for races but the Bupa 10000 road race is 30th May. I really wanted to do it but it's a week after Edinburgh. Should be a good course and field.

WTGY Thanks, plan is 5.50s, I still haven't worked out what final time would be if I managed it but sub 2.35. I'm doing Edinburgh though, not London (kind of wish I was doing London now I know how many on here are doing it).

Nice training from everyone else, I definitely agree it's a week to ease back into it. There were some great performances last weekend and it's easy to get carried away.

Massive day for me. My gf was 12 weeks pregnant with our first child on Saturday when I had to rush back from work to take her to hospital because (in her words) something was going wrong. A horrible few hours followed until we were told we had to wait until today before they could do a scan to see if things were going to be ok (thats not me criticising the NHS, just that there is a 72 hour period that has to elapse before they can give the all clear). Scan was today and am so so happy to say that it went well. It's been a pretty rough last few days, particuarly given that we'd waited 12 weeks and were getting excited to tell people our news and it felt like it was being snatched away. Anyway, happy days and huge relief! Thanks for all the kind words, I'm only new on here but it meant a lot.

Celebrated with a day at the shops (baby shops!) and a nice curry which meant my 7 miler this evening was slow and pretty unenjoyable, with a little sprint finish for the bathroom!

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭
    Slim J: that's great news...bet you were relieved; tell her to take it easy, but I bet you already haveimage
  • Options

Slim J - very good to hear the scan was OK. And congratulations to you both!

8.8M club run for me @ 7:03 overall. Felt pretty good after Sunday's race.