Wed 19th July 2006

Comments

• Pammie - LOL at your link from yesterday! Sound advice for a 5k, I'm sure.

Just read back over yesterday's advice, and I particularly like Lizzy's idea of doing without the extra weight of a watch. I'm just going to run hard, then be surprised/disappointed at the end.
  • Hilly - thank you for wishes for Mr Scoobs, I'll pass them on.This is my fear with my son. He is lovely. But I wonder what predujices he comes across out there as a result the way he likes to dress and look. He has many peircings lots of which are in his ears. He has stretched some too and has what I only can say looks like something out of a tool box stuck in! But it looks really good I think! His hair is also unusual as its long with some braiding. I think he looks great, he's a true individual and not afraid to express himself and I love that about him.

Training

well achilles is grumbling, but i'm not surprised as I did ask it to behave a lot last night.

So

What: gym
    Why; we'll see how well it settles during the day and then either opt for tready or bike
    Last hard: hill and disappointment that I mucked up max hr test as it was hard!
    last Rest: Last Wednesday

Happy runnings all
  • hello - i'm back from austria - we arrived back last night. race report to follow later as i've got to go into london now to see recruitment agents :-( i've had a quick look back over the threads and just wanted to say a huge thanks for everyones support. it was a truly brilliant day.

go melissa, melli and debbo - you'll have the time of your lives i promise! best of luck.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Hilly, have a good one tonight. There's always a good crowd at this 5k.

Today's session:

What: 35 mins easy d&d at 7:30 am
    Why: last easy day before doing some hard stuff again. What a difference it makes running early morning. So much cooler.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Melli, Debbo and Mellisa, lots of luck in your big adventure.

IMs, Comrades and Tatoos - has the world gone mad!

Sodahead another good session yesterday - seven miles of running at your best 10k pace - another confidence builder, I'll bet.

What:am 5m easy (done at 7:35 pace), pm 7 miles easy
    Why: recovery running
    Last Hard: yesterday - 7 miles at 6:40 pace on 87% MHR
    Last rest: 85 days.

Another couple of pain free days - with only a little residual stiffness afterwards, which is nice.

Have a good day all
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Morning,

Busy thread today.

Mava: Thank you. I'm in a bit of a reflective melancholy mood today - life choices and all.

Hollywood: I think you may have the wrong song???

Hilly: lol - good point!

Imski: Great news on the leg. Take it slow.

M: Good to hear from you. Already looking forward to your report.

Tom: That's v. good news.

Woke up early, plan was to run 4miles gentle from Redbridge to Stratford. Got to Stratford, felt very chilled/relaxed so continued till Mile End and only sweating slightly. Ended up with 6.5miles at <65%MHR.

C'mon, Ironmaidens!
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the good luck wishes. Please send plenty of positive vibes on sunday!

Hilly - I'm with you on the tattoes. I love mine.

I'm also planning on getting an M-dot tattoo next week.

Holly - I've cursed and sweared and cried this morning doing those tyres - two punctures and one broken tyre lever.... I will have to take them off again in germany and try to stretch them a bit just in case.
    I would hate to not finish an IM because I couldn't change a tube!

I can do it normally though so I don't understand. Maybe it's these new tyres.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I'm not an ironmaiden I'm an ironwifie.
  • Morning all,

Welcome back M, and good luck to the other Iron girls.

What: nothing I think, I reckon the tube is exercise enough today, and I am going to my old bosses retirement tonight,will be a bit sad because shes the person who gave me my first science job and then encouraged me to do a PhD even though it would mean I worked less for her. Ah well, should be a good do.

Tatoos, hmmm never can decide, I veer between wanting one and then not liking them. Mind you I have been warned by the Mr that I better not, when I went home with belly button ring he was less than pleased :-/
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Scoobs, its not what we look like that matters, its what we are like on the inside that counts.

Hilly: just to confound my previous paragraph, I'm not a fan of tattoos or body piercing. I think its an age thing (hmmm - my perenial excuse!). When I was a kid the only people who had tattos were soldiers and sailors, usually badly done, and it was very rare for a woman to have one. Of course nowadays its different, its called body art, and quality of work and inks are so much better. However there's still the issue of people's taste in what they have done.

There's the urban myth of the guy who woke the day after his stag do, to find emblasioned across his chest "My friends went to London, and all they bought me was this lousy tattoo"

• M - huge congrats again. And good luck with the recruitment folk (is this for here or for NZ?)

Not sure about all these M-dot tattoos - will you get sued for breach of trademark? Surely a little skull and crossbones would be much more appropriate? But I guess what you tattoo on your forehead is your own choice really :-)

debbo - I know that feeling... different tyres definitely have different problems and the puncture resistant ones seem among the toughest... I now pack metal tyre levers (they scratch the rims a little but I hope they don't cause any permanent damage) and I have to use them plus lots of thumb power to get the tyres off and on. I've never tried stretching the tyres - the kevlar ones seem quite strong so let me know if that actually works? But I have caused plenty of punctures putting the tyres back on again.... makes a nice bang sound but I guess you don't want to hear that during your race.

nrg - googled them now - how appropriate! And I was thinking the wrong way - I was on "You've got to hold and give But do it at the right time You can be slow or fast But you must get to the line" - that's soooo last month :-)

Imski - The only doubt in my mind is that maybe K9 will wait for an up year :-)

Good luck tonight SVT - just forget everything you've learned about pacing yourself over the longer races.

And did I see that Gobi's actually joined a running club? Is Vomit enrolled too?
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    MORNING ALL - oops
    lyrics - not a clue
    nrg-b - hope you are ok
    go debbo melli and mel!
    birkmyre - sending you feathers for your weigh in
    Thanks Holly - think you knew it was wrong!

Anyway I like heat.

Club sesh was great last night we did a local loop and did minute on minute off and regrouping with slowest (not me this time!)

Wont be around tomorrow, horrible day ahead and will try to come back in and see how im's get on, apologies if I don't for a while, some know why.

Take care
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Good luck SVT missed you out earlier.
  • Welcome back, and well done M!

Tattoos - the only thing that I notice about them is that they seem to grow. Once you've got one, along comes another.

I'm in the too old club too.
  • tatoos still, I don't like mine .......... but if I were ever to do an IM the Mdot would have to be done or if I ever get picked for my country I'd have a dragon done, somewhere descreet mind.
    Each to their own realy, pretty little designs can be nice, dirty great big celtic scrolls are not that nice, but that's just my opinion.

I hope you've all done todays seesion or are doing it after 8 tonight

happy running and race well
  • Good luck tonight SVT - I love 5k's when training for longer distances. It's so much fun to go out hard, and hope for the best near the end!

Can't wait to read IM reports.

Healing vibes to those on the bench. I'm seeing the fizz this afternoon - and am strangely excited about that!

Have a good day people
  • Morning all

MelP - and i thought it was just me that became full of murderous rage at the frosties advert...

Good luck for the evenings racers, and another good luck for the ironpeople

What: 2.5m walk to work am, v.gentle treadmill run pm
    Why: Easing my way back

Enjoy the heat
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Scoobs, I'm sure people will look beyond his individual look and see the nice guy he obviously is - don't worry!! Anyone who judges someone on how they look is quite shallow and not really worth bothering with anyhow!

There's things I'd never wear or entertain and some would even make me take a second look so I could confirm my eyesight was ok, but I'm all for individuality :-)

Lol Tom.

Looking at the beuatiful day outside my office makes me want to be out there. Instead I've got the fan on and found the most shady corner to allow me to do some work without sticking to the chair.
  • Morning all!

Good Luck all you IronMistresses!

good luck tonight SVT as well

M - good to see you back, can't wait for the report.

Funny tattoo story: When I was crewing on a yacht in a previous life we stopped in Singapore and met a girl who had just had "free spirit" tattooed, in Chinese, on her wrist. She was very, very proud of it and very annoying. Some time later we met her in Thailand - another girl wanted to get the same tattoo, so they went to a tattoo parlour and asked for a duplicate tattoo. "Oh I can't write that," said the tattooist. "Why?" they asked. "I don't think the tattoo artist understood what you wanted," he said, "He has actually written the word "prostitute"."

Failed to get out on bike yesterday - no time, but no matter, won't do any harm because ...

What: Twickenham Women's Circuit races
    Why: Bike race practice. And if I am very, very lucky, pick up some points. Although driving 100+ miles on the hottest day on the year to achieve this does seem like madness! Luckily me and MrB have swapped cars for the day - I have his air conditioned luxury monster, he has my ancient two seater open topped jobbie - I couldn't face driving to London in it today!
    Last hard: 7 days ago
    LAst rest: Yesterday

Enjoy the sunshine everyone, I'm loving it (apart from the melting roads).
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I am working honestly:-)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Lol Lizzy.

M. look forward to reading your IM report.
  • Tattoos eh? Not got any myself, mainly because I've never found any symbol, drawing or words that I'd be happy to have permanently emblazoned on my body. My wife is talking about having some chinese script done which I'll be happy with as long as its not too bold or crazy.

Thanks for yesterdays replies, not sure what I can post about my current experiences that would be helpful, for anybody that might remember I was complaining about a really sharp pain at the back of my left knee which only manifested itself after running for a while, or sometimes if I spent a long time standing up. My physio diagnosed it as down to weak and unbalanced muscles at the base of my back, I'm weaker on my left side which is due to my posture and that is pulling on my sciatic nerve running down the knee.

I've had 4 physio trips now, for the last couple I've been encouraged to keep doing the exercises as there is significant improvement, and I've been given further exercises to do, so I'm now at the point where I'm taking at least 15 mins in the morning and 15 in the evening going through my routine.

I've also been told to try a gentle jog after a few days and see if there is any reaction, I didn't do this before my last physio appointment last Friday as the weekend previously I spent one day on my feet and by the end of the day I'd started feeling my knee again. Hopefully this Sunday I can try a light run as I'm itching to be running again, I feel absolutely fine but I dont know if my underlying problem has really been sorted.

So, I'm trying to develop a good sitting posture at work and not slouch, and likewise I'm working on my standing posture, anything which will help this problem. I'll maybe even have to watch my running posture when I do start again, I would say I have quite an upright running style anyway though.

Ultimately I think I probably always had this problem. I think only now its manifested itself because I'd beaten my shinsplint problems. Maybe I'll beat this then up my training slightly more and discover another debilitating problem?

On one front though my cycling has gone pretty well, I did 20+ miles (no idea of the exact distance but I might measure it later) last night, my longest cycle yet, and I'm cycling 5 miles twice everyday to work. I'm hoping at least some fitness is being maintained.

As for suggestions thanks very much for those, I'm a very poor swimmer and my front crawl probably resembles a drunken spider. I should perhaps try and fit in some classes. I've never done pilates, I think I'll look up what exactly that involves first.

Sorry, heck of a long post this, also before I forget....

major good luck to the triathelete ladies!
  • Morning,

What: 30 minute boxing/abs work this morning.

Why: Not much time as busy at work and saw nurse this morning to try to sort out ear infections (had loads over the last year) - have been given a spray to use 3 times a day and another appointment for next week....got inner ear infection.

Last rest: Last Friday

Last hard: Last night - 5.5 mile hilly club run ran at 8:30 pace which was good for me in the heat.

I'm a tattooed fella, the only thing I would change is where I have them as I now work for a wealth management company so I wear long-sleeved shirts even in summer incase clients are offended! (lots of posh ones)..... If any of my mates had problems with them, that would annoy me but people generally don't bat an eyelid.

They all mean something to me (I have 4 on my arms and 1 on my leg) so don't regret having them.
  • Here's a thought - in China, are tattoos of random English words popular?
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Morning

Good luck IMers. I'm sure that if you need to change a tyre in the race there will be plenty of help from supporters - some rim/tyre combinations are harder than others but - and I know this may not be that much help - it gets a lot easier with a few years practice!

Tattoos - never had one as I could never really think of anything to have. It'd have to be something personal to me rather than a big celtic scroll or the like and I think somewhere where it could be seen - otherwise why bother? On other people I've no real opinions - people look how they look don't they you can't really judge a book by its cover, the only tatoo that would put me off someone would be if they had a Notts Forest badge tattoo but that's just my own personal prejudice!

What - Did 2 hours 45 on the bike last night and 3 hours planned for sometime today.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    oh good luck with the race Lizzy - full report on how it goes please !
  • popsider - Southampton fans seem to dislike my Pompey tattoo, but they're just jealous ;0)

SVT - I read recently about a lady who thought she was having her name tattooed on her shoulder in a foreign language but the tattoist decided to do "ninja" for a laugh - the lady found out and took him to court!

• Funny - I would have thought that 'ninja' would be quite a cool thing to have tattooed on your shoulder.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Scoobs, had to smile at your post about your son. Before I met Mr. Minks, when he was a student, he went through a phase of having really long hair, wearing hippyish clothes and going barefoot all the time. He also wore a couple of bells in his hair! If you saw him now you'd never believe it, as he's pretty conservative these days, but his parents were in full support of him. One day they all went to a pub as a family, and the landlord wouldn't let Mr. Minks in because he wasn't wearing shoes. He didn't have any with him so the whole family left in protest. I think Mr. Minks' mum still has his ponytail as she couldn't bear to part with it when he finally had it chopped off! It's a shame that society judges by appearance, but sadly it happens.

Best of British to all the Ironwomen - may you all kick ass!

Julz, in view of LizzyB's story, I'd suggest your wife is very certain about the meaning of any Chinese tattoo before having it done!!

I'm not really enjoying this current weather, mainly because I can't run. It can be dangerous for the foetus if the mother overheats, and while I was happy enough to continue running before temperatures exceeded 30 Celsius, I've decided to err on the side of caution in the current conditions. Trouble is they show no sign of abating and I don't know how long I can stand not running! Ho hum.

What: Nothing.
    Why: See above.
    Last hard: Getting on the Tube last night - must have been over 40 C on the Met line.
    Last rest: Last night. Got home, laid on the sofa and pretty much stayed there until I went to bed.

The hot weather isn't helping my nausea any either. I had been getting away with being sick twice a day - yesterday I vomited on and off all day, not nice. Hopefully today will be better.