IM 2007 training thread

Comments

• well said FB.

and it doesn't matter what mike gratton or pantman might say on the marathon training threads. ironmen do twice as much training as marathon runners, and ironmen need rest days.
  • NOVICES LOOKING FOR A MENTOR
    Ian151
    Tri taffia, but can I shout for pebble?
    XFR Bear
    Lawrence
    (add name here if you're looking for a mentor)
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    FWIW I think the novices should choose the mentors, not the other way round. That means you can choose someone who you think you'll get on with/started from the same base as you/has done what they said they'd do.

That's how I chose mine.
  • but you knew one in your area debbo. that's fine. and taff has done the same. and i'm sure pebble would love to.

but for all the others who don't know anybody... then letting experienced types pick them will be less of an imposition.

rosey might not want 20 random forumites emailing him and asking him to mentor them all!
  • But to be fair iron wifey I have only meet a few people off the forums. Non of whom happen to be triathletes. So I would be more then happy to have any of the more experienced triathletes consider to mentor me, as any one to one advice or mentoring would be more then welcome.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I didn't have TC as my mentor though Candy! I did get some advice from him, but I wanted someone nearer my ability level.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Being one of the true numpty non-sporting types it brings back memories of waiting to be picked for teams at school and being left till last :(((

I'm happy to be asked/offer my services or whatever.
  • lol - all right but it was somebody who you knew presumably. if people know somebody well, then by all means speak to them directly. the idea of that list was for people (like Ian) who don't know anybody. in that case, it's better for the mountain to go to mohammed.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Hey, I'm a mountain now too, as well as a numpty and an ironwifey.

Yes, well, it was JB who I'd met for 5 minutes at the Vit, and then I asked IW too as JB wasn't doing Germany. I'd never met IW.

I also got advice from Ava, TC and Rosey when I asked.
  • well, i'm starting to think about how to get on with the next what 66 weeks of training till IM florida.

i've spent the last year just putting the base work in as my first year of training.

so, should i just be doing a second year of base work?

i'd quite like a more structured year to make the most of my limited ablility and get a sub 14 time at florida. this year my approach of just getting on with it and getting on time on the bike worked well given my running injuries. but in the last couple of months i couldn't help thinking if i'd been more organised i'd have turned up in sharper shape.

so, if anyone has any ideas about what to do in my second year they'd be much appreciated. otherwise i'll have to penetrate the mysteries of the going long book.

had a dream that i was racing again last night. i could hear the tv helicopter was approaching which meant the leaders on the bike leg were about to take me from behind. it was all quite exciting. then i woke up and realised the police helicopter was flying around following some joyriding chavs.
  • F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭
    "the leaders on the bike leg were about to take me from behind. it was all quite exciting"

Im sure it was !!!!!
  • Will it be easier to decide on mentors based on area of the country for meet ups? or will online mentoring be sufficient? See that's how much of a novice I am!

NOVICES LOOKING FOR A MENTOR
    Ian151
    XFR Bear
    Lawrence
    Symes

• lol debbo i mentored sally in 2005.

that means you are my iron granddaughter!
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    That's made my day Candy!
  • A quirk of genetics that candy spawned such nice people.
  • don't make me wag my pipe at you, gumps
  • The last person I know who smoked a pipe ran off with a clog dancer.
  • how fast can clog dancers run??
  • Lindi was my mentor. We did spend more time catching up on forum gossip than training talk but any serious questions I asked were either answered straight away or referred to the correct expert.
  • AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    It might be an idea to put location down when requesting a mentor.

FB-Do you have a copy of that piccy of me that was on the front page?
  • NOVICES LOOKING FOR A MENTOR
    Ian151
    XFR Bear
    Lawrence
    Symes
    jrs

Other than try to maintain a consistent base of 6-7 hours / week over the next few months I was not going to do anything IM-specific until the New Year. I'm planning to add a longish bike ride and a couple of swims to the three runs I’m doing each week at the moment.

What do all you experienced Iron man and women reckon - is this enough or should I try to get out on the bike a bit more?
  • Next numpty question: should I try to get some open water swimming in this summer or can I wait until next spring? I can plod along ok in the pool but I’ve never tried to swim anywhere without lines painted on the bottom.
  • no NEED to get pratise in this year but if the oppertunity arises why not give it a go. It will do your confidence no end of good. BTW, when all the swim ponces start telling you that there is no difference bewtween pool and OW swimming, take it with a big grain of sea-salt (and weed and jellyfish)..... THe two are very different for a novice!
  • interesting glimpse into the pro triathlete's world - Timo Bracht, 2nd in IMDE last weekend, is racing tomorrow in the same Oly as LJS in Ladenburg, a hilly course with some very nasty climbs. This is the second in the Rhein-Neckar Cup series, Timo placed 2nd at Mussbach and said on this morning's radio news he's going for the win.

Latest race info states decision on wetsuits will be made tomorrow morning due to the continuing heatwave. This is a race where wetsuits have ALWAYS been compulsory in the river.
  • jrs - i think it would be good to get some open water swims in now. for a start the lakes are nice and warm - infinitely nicer than having your first open water swim in the cold april waters. i've no idea how good or confident a swimmer you are. but warmer water is nicer than take your breath away cold water.
  • also if you don't have a wetsuit you should be able to pick up a cheap discounted one fairly soon.
  • openwater swimming without one would have been a good idea this year!!!
  • ah yes, wonder if we'd have been allowed to do that in datchet.