training session - sunday 23rd February

Comments

• KK - A dam good time - congrats
  • Well done KK - excellent time - and everyone else, very impressive long uns today. Drew, you're right, I'm a happy Snicks at the moment.
  • Wow most impressive times here, some good long runs and some excellent times.

Well done to KK on that super 10 mile time.

Big Tim another good one from you!

Also well done to MrC running that long slow run with that injury.

Some great milage between MM, Drew and Achilles, well done!

Well done Murf for that run at Richmond.

Well done to everybody that has done so well today.

Keep it up.

• Some brilliant training and races posted. Well done everyone.

In my case, an awful run in ideal conditions. I had planned an easy paced 13.5 mile run, but after starting deliberately slowly for the first mile, I found that I couldn't get any faster! and after a couple of miles I was getting slower and felling like death.

After no improvement I decided to abandon the run and retrace my footsteps home.

I'm rather fed up - There is no obvious reason for being so crap today, in the end I only managed 7.5 miles, S L O W (9.5 minute miles)

Lets hope its back to normal tomorrow.
  • Hmmm...loads of excellent performances here - but I'm afraid I can't add to them.....

what: V v easy run with Matthew off-road (27:44, no idea of distance) - part of his school X-C ½ term training; some 90 mins later, 9.3K on standard course in shocking time of ~47:30

why: Sunday is LSD day. Made allowance for recent bug - but apparently not enough.

Did the runs this morning...had a feeling the first one wasn't feeling quite as easy as it should have been - & the second one was awful. Normally I do these at about 7:10 - 7:20 per mile pace, but on this occasion, couldn't even manage 8 minute miles.

An amber light flashing, if not yet a red....day off tomorrow now anyway.
  • What: 102 miles on the bike in 6:15
    Why: 'cos I must be mad! - seriously, Full IM in 6 weeks - was supposed to go for a 30 min run off the bike but couldn't be ar$ed!
    Last hard: - apart from today was yesterday swam 2500m and ran for 2hours.
    Last rest day about 2 weeks ago, but I'm taking one tomorrow !
  • Well, the nuttiness of the Training thread shows no sign of abating. Sterling efforts all around, doesn't anybody rest anymore?? Lent cream buns all around (recipe on FFF thread Vrap), you'll be pleased to hear that as marathon runners you're exempt from the rest of the Swedish Lent diet which consists of 2 months on pickled herring & potatoes.

Johnny/Mike - take it easy, there'll be a reason today wasn't a good day for you.

Can't remember everything I wanted to say, but Snicks, please do get emotional every now and then, huge run yesterday, though adding in a migraine isn't part of the schedule is it?Glad you've refuelled now.

Big Tim , congrats on your race; Achilles, what crazy schedule have you found that has you doing 3 hard days on the trot??

Welcome back Marmite Master.

Well done everyone else on your long runs, what makes me think there's a marathon coming up soon? I spotted 2 other runners out this morning which bearing in mind I live in an area chiefly populated by sheep is saying something.

Almost forgot:
    What: 14 miles @ marathon pace plus 1 mile warm down to retrieve my drinks bottle. Actually turned the bleeper on my HRM and stuck within 75-80% whr, felt good except the killer hills I had to do twice on this loop. Did it in 1.57 which is OK, assuming everyone on the flm thread haven't lied to me about London being flat. Have you?
    Why: Easier weekend run this week in between 20 milers. Did I say easy? Still, feels like I'm finding my marathon groove at last.
    Last hard: today counts, I hope. Plus 2 hrs family bike ride afterwards.
    Last rest: Monday.

Will go and find some race reports to read now.
  • What - 15 miles including 5 mile race in 27-57 - a pb by 29 secs. Evening another 4 easy.

Why - club championship race in middle of marathon programme.

Last hard - today
    Last rest - Sat before last.
  • potatoes and herrings
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Evening all, one of my sporadic reports.
    Yum yum (?) pickled herrings & potatoes for me as I appear to be the only one not doing a marathon at the moment :(
    Well done all you racers, Big Tim fantastic effort, I managed 11 min mile pace on my last 4 mile cross country race & currently do sub-8 min miles for 10Ks.
    Today's report:
    9+ miles hilly around Box Hill 1 hr 21
    Why: Training for Paddock Wood half
    Last rest: Yesterday
    Last hard: Wednesday
  • what: enforced rest.
    why: feeling sh*te today with really persistenmtly "hangover style" sore head. kinda dizzy too.

24 hour bug me thinks

last hard: yesterdays 5 * 1000m
    last easy:monday night session on track: 1000m, 800m, 600m, 400m.

last rest, today
    well done all you lucky and able runners. hope the races went well
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Some awesome efforts on here today! Good going guys and Cornish Ironman your training to me is WOW!!

Mike S and others who haven't had a good day. Take it easy for a day or two I'm sure you'll be back on form very soon. Best wishes!!
  • Hello everyone-had my bath and read the thread-Big tim well done on the race yesterday, I was going to ask you to look out for Ian Fisher who runs for Otley ac- very tall with blond hair as he runs in our league. I'm sure he said he was 23rd or something like that, he wipes the floor with everyone in our league anyway!
    Marmite Master- I am doing Stafford- aiming for 2:20 which will mean a comfortable finish (I hope).
    Johnny how I know the feeling you're describing but it usually means a great run next time!

Well done everyone on getting out there and doing the distance.

What- X-country race- then 30 miles back along the canal to Leeds- with one stop off for tea and an almond slice (Why does my life sound like an Alan Bennett monologue?)
    Horrible stabbing feeling at the top of hamstrings by the end (but that's normal) rounded the day off with tea, a thick shake and large fries at Macdonalds then bus back home. Just made the run in daylight (5 hours and 20 mins.)Oh yes re-took my second place in x-country so all in all a good day.
  • Does running 30 miles make you better at shorter races monique, or is it just the public transport??
  • In the style of Snicks I would just like to thank Paul Shields for the company and top notch pacing, Treena for transporting my dirty kit home in her car and Julian for the lift there in the first place- my family and everyone who knows me thankyou etc....
  • At the moment I would say that running 30 miles doesn't even make you any good at walking- I really needed a hoist to get me out of the bath.
  • Evening all,

Not had much time due to work to post this week but a muhc easier recovery wek after last week's heavy mileage of three short recovery and/or pace runs. Today was supposed to be a 10km race day in the training programme but with no race in sight around Ankara and miserable snowy weather I opted for 10km on the treadmill in 38 mins 47 secs.

Why: Week 9 of the marathon training programme

Last rest: yesterday

Well done to all those who got the miles in today and who raced this weekend

Simon
  • Not bad for a woman Monique. You can get shower chairs as well you know.

• I like the idea of the walk in bath that Dorah Bryan advertises
  • Yes, and those stair lifts are all bought by marathon runners really.
  • not bloody surprised

• ohmigod
    10k in 38 minutes
    im off
  • What: 20 Bramley 20 @ steady 7.10 pace, time 2.23.34. Felt really good.

Last rest day : Friday, easy 1 hour yesterday.

Last Hard: Thurs - 2 x 10k 60 sec recoveries
  • Yes I've done the stairs one at a time before, sometimes running makes you feel 100 years old
  • Hello Chatterbox, how about a picture I think Mr Chatterbox is pink and very jolly, my son is currently obsessed withMr. Men.
  • Monique
    If my little grey cells could get around downloading a picture, i will.

Talking about stairs, the first 2 days after i ran my first marathon, i could only walk down stairs backwards. This was a little challenging in negotiating the tube, as i had to wait for everyone to go in front of me and do this, with brief case in hand.
    Also i had to do a 2 leg standing jump to get off the train. Anyone using the Metropolitan line will know what i mean

• Hi everyone!! Yet again, this thread has amazed me...6+hr bike rides, 21M runs...the lot! I admire the lot of you!!

What: 18M - I did the RW training run in 1:59, got my back and shuffled for another 3.5M round the park.

Why: panicking that I won't get enough sufficiently long runs in...the clock's ticking and I seem to be the only one on here still running sub-20M long runs!

Last hard: today! I wanna finish in sub-3:45, so I trained with the sub-3:30 group to get used to running 15(ish!)M at race pace...Phew!

Last rest: Friday was my last complete rest. I was meant to do 60mins hard bike yesterday a.m., followed by an easy run, but managed to throw myself off my bike!! I finished the bike Only because I had to get to work!!!), but whimped out of the run...Oops!

Rock on guys;)