I just bought a new bike

Hi everyone

have decided to do a bit of triathlon (Ironman Switzerland) and today have bought (well put the deposit down) for my bike. I was speaking to the bloke in the shop about a few things and I asked him about cycling shoes. To let you know I have never done any cycling before, my swimming and running are ok but with cycling I am clueless.

He suggested to me two types of shoe. Road racing shoes, which he said can become damaged very easily and also mountain bike racing shoes, he said these would not get damaged because the pedal clip is indented in the sole a bit. He also said that I should probably ask some triathletes what shoes they wear? Good idea i thought...

Any advice is always appreciated

Thanks Harry

Comments

• I think mtb pedals are meant to be pretty harsh on your tootsies if you're planning on riding for a long time because the cleats are piddly. Hot spots are more likely.

I've never worn roadie shoes, but this is what I've heard.
  • Well for racing I'd go for a road shoe - they will be a tad stiffer than the MTB shoe - the MTB shoe does let you walk/run a bit more. A road shoe is just for cycling and the odd cafe stop.

MTB shoes are a bit more practical really, but don't look as cool.
  • Does the bike fit?

Does the guy in the shop know anyting? (it sounds like he does not)
  • To be a total ponce......

MTB shoes just don't look tri.

Get some nice slick road shoes for doing tri. The pedals are better for distance and soles stiffer.

• road, but what gumps said
  • Well! Mine are beautiful, whatever you say!

Beauty
  • MTB shoes are great to get started but are heavy in comparison to road shoes. You're not going to be doing a great deal of walking when road cycling so buy road shoes. In the winter it's easier to get overshoes to fit over road shoes than MTB shoes.
    MTB shoes are more flexible than road shoes and flexing shoes means more energy wasted. It's the most important contact point with your bike after your seat and it's the point at which you put the power out so don't skimp on them. You wouldn't buy £20 trainers to run a marathon so why spend a relatively low amount on cycling shoes?
  • did he offer you a bike fitting or have you bought it cos you liked the look/colour etc. if you are doing IM switzerland (or any IM of HIM distance race) then you are going to be sat on that bike for a long time and ned to ensure it fits. Same for the shoes they need to fit. The bike shop guy should have been asking you what you needed.

I assume you have bought a helmet!!
  • and make sure they match your bike.
  • ... Then there's the "what cleats?" thing...
  • "have decided to do a bit of triathlon (Ironman Switzerland)" - in so many other places that would have had made people look twice - but here it's just a normal, everyday post, isn't it?

Harry - road pedals all the way for the longer races... the mountain bike ones are easier in transition though apparently... I bought Ultegra SPD-SL thingies... but that's just cos I wanted to get over 50 quid at wiggle in order to save some money (I think there's some financial logic in that but I'm not sure).
  • Don't forget some yellow tyres.

Re-read the post.
    "Road racing shoes, which he said can become damaged very easily"
    I think he means the cleat. Easy don't walk on the cleat! The uppers of a roadshoe should be tough enough with correct handling.
    Saying that I have a nice hole in the back of mine.......

• No the bloke was alright, he said he'd done a lot of mountain biking but he was really helpful. The bike felt comfortable enough, but to be fair how will I really know until I do some proper riding and I think that's the same for any bike I'd buy due to my lack of experience.

So definately roads by the sound of things
  • Don M your shoes are a pair which I was shown in the shop and you say these have been pretty good for?
  • jpenno, I told him what the bike was for and this is what he recommended, my friend also has the same bike, which I have ridden. It only comes in one colour
  • They've been good for MTBing and commuting.

Just cos he's a mtb'er doesn't mean to say he knows anything about roadies!
  • And roadies dont know nuffink about Triathamaletes !

Make sure you get a nice fitting shoe. I like the Specialized ones with their BodyGlove shapey thing.
  • Saw a pair of those today... For a meagre £140! OUCH!
  • Start saving DM.
    Admit it, love at 1st sight?
  • No, my shoe fetish only really extends to white Northwaves

TT, are you slogging?
  • at the end of the day - and for a 18okm ride - whether you go for road or tri shoes (not MTB ones), the critical factor is fit..............

you need to decide whether you will wear socks as well as these take up shoe volume

also, your feet will swell a lot during the bike leg (especially if it's hot) and can cause you problems id the shoe won't accomodate this - or you can't loosen the strap..........

so my recommendation is to find the right fitting road or ti shoe first before deciding on brand of pedal as they all perfrom roughly the same irrepective of shoe

checkout Spesh/Pearl Izumi/Carnac/Northwave/Shimano as these guys do road and tri shoes...........
  • Yeah - FB speaketh the truth.

I reckon all the road pedal systems are pretty similar. Old Looks, Keo Looks, Speedplay, Time, SPD-SL.....

I'd go for road shoes over Tri shoes - the tri ones are v light and designed for the short tris mainly - lots of holes to drain water from wet feet. IMCH really needs comfort more than anything.
  • Definitely get road shoes. I have got Shimano carbon soled ones and they are good, but not neccessarily a beginners shoe. Sole doesn't flex at all to make sure all your foots pressure gets transferred to the pedal, but they are pricey at 140 quid or so. If you are worried about walking in roadies then you can buy over covers for the cleats to keep them from getting scuffed when you are walking around in them.
  • i used my mtb/touring type shoes for the first time in ages and they were just sooooo painful compared to my road shoes.

hugh - after a bit of getting used to the road shoes you'll find you'll hardly ever put your feet on the floor. i maybe unclip my left foot 2 or 3 times per hour or so on a ride. would only take both feet out when stopping for a slash or to peel a banana.

mtb pedals/shoes are probably easier to get used to quickly. road shoes/pedals are much better in the long run.
  • JD - As you said in the long run road shoes are what I am going to be using so I might as well get them and get used to them asap. The more hours I get on the bike the more natural it will be.

Condifence on the bike is quite important is very important I think and right now I have zero. haha
  • miles on the bike = confidence
  • harry - it may be worth just putting on a cheapie pair of bog standard pedals for your first few outings. just to get used to handling the bike etc. about £4 i'd have thought from the bike shop. they'd probably give you a pair i'd have thought though. pedal spanner will be £10 or so. get them to show you how to use it as as you loosen the pedals differently depending on whether it's the right or left pedal. you'll need a spanner to change pedals in the future so no harm buying one now.

fwiw i use shimano ultegra spd-sl pedals. i had cheapie look p206 on the bike when i bought it. the ultegra's are much much better. they always get reviewed well too. there's other very good pedals on the market too though.

as fb says, miles on the bike will give you plenty of confidence.
  • do you set one foot up to release more easily - the foot you'd put down in an 'emergency'?
  • You mention 'how will you know the bike fits'.

If youve been to a reputable shop they should of spent approx an hour with you getting the fitting right, frame size, saddle height, checking your reach, position above pedals etc.
  • Def get road shoes though the single wider velcro fastener type are better (quicker on and off) for tri.