Options

Parenting vs Running

Comments

• Options
    Try 14,10 and 3 (eldest is female - can you feel the hormones!)

Always be afraid when it goes quiet it inevitably means chaos. My girls (S1 and 3) share a room, S1 is very messy and leaves stuff lying around, S3 thinks make-up is great art materials especially on the carpet!!
  • Options
    That's what I mean by the eye of the storm, Stoat - no toddlers and no teenagers.
  • Options
    I have 3 wonderful children

and 2 others

I don't run much.
  • Options
    Run around the unofficial taxi service!!!!
  • Options
    Guy's,

This thread has proved to be more popular than I imagined and has thrown up some great stories and advice. Not sure if I am more relaxed about it all or more worried!!! Love the stuff about nail varnish and projectile vomit and kids generally being a pain but trust me mine will be a little angel - Yeah right.

I am currently work shifts , which could work in my favour or against in this argument and Mrs. Zip is taking a year off work so the windows should be there, I mean windows of opportunity to run not to throw the baby out of..

The more I think about all this the more I think that I am being really selfish but I love running, not more than I will love my kid but you know. I started running when I quit smoking over 2 years ago and I am adamant that whilst I still run I will not have the temptation to go back onto the sticks cos I still do miss the cigs.. Ah, just trying to get my stories ready for Mrs. Zip.

keep the advice coming, it is priceless and I will keep you updated on the divorce proceedings...... Thanks
  • Options
    I have 4, all girls, all under 9 and OH runs too.
    You manage!
    Congratulations and Good Luck
  • Options
    What Kev says is true - 2 kids is twice as hard as one, a third is just as hard again - one can't fight with itself non-stop all day whereas more than one can and usually will. It's great for developing patience though and really is the best thing.

FR - in those ritual sex abuse case times my partner's neighbours (well her parents neighbours as she was still living at home then) were suspects in one case. I remember my partner's dad leaning on his garden fence and asking the neighbour "what's all this about your family and satanic abuse then Tony" - I nearly choked but he seemed to take it OK as if it were an everyday question - though anyone that knows Somercotes might think it probably is. Later we took a couple of calls from the News of the World because the neighbours didn't have a phone and gave the paper my partners number. All got cleared in the end though.
  • Options
    My advise is to buy a 3 wheeler so you can take the baby running. This also means Mrs Zip will get some time off, babies love going out and will probably sleep the whole time and you get to have a run. Everyone a winner! We have a 5 month old daughter and bought an Out N About Nipper soon after she was born. We found these are better than the original baby jogger cause baby can go in from birth.
    It is a bit more like hard work pushing the baby but i can still manage 10 miles and my half marathon time has improved by 10 minutes.
  • Options

if you want to make time for running then try the Gina Ford method. & days into fatherhood its working for me.
  • Options
    We have two teenage boys so if they want us they can run with us and they sometimes do.

We also have a 7 year old daughter who has cerebral palsy so me and GM run a different times except when she goes to her nans on Thursday night and Sunday morning.
  • Options
    I have a 3yr old boy and a daughter who is 21 months. My running tends to be done after their bedtime in the evening. I run 2 or 3 evenings a week for 5 - 10 miles. I get out for a run and a MTB session on the weekend but as I think someone else mentioned Mum's and Dad's enter into trading wars with solo parent time. If I want 4hrs to myself then that's 4 hours my wife is flying solo with the children so she is entitled to the same time back.

Another method is to alternate 'morning duty' - take it in turns to get up. Then if you want a morning run you get up when you are off duty. Good news is you're free to go out, the bad news is it cost you 2 lay ins.

This might work for running, I wanted to get my MTB hours up so started to commute to work 3 days a week. The cycle route each way it takes me 45 minutes but the car route is 35 mins. So I get 45 minutes of cycling but it's only cost me 10 minutes of 'family' time.

The other thing is that you need to be ready to rock n roll as soon as you get the all clear so to maximise your available time be extremely well prepared. I am pretty much in constant readiness... a rapid reaction runner/MTBer so to speak :)

• Options
    I was a runner before my first child was born three years ago. I found the change in my lifestyle after the birth was so dramatic that all my usual routines went out of the window (including the really important ones like sleeping at night and eating decent meals). My weight sky rocketed and I did no running for several months. I actually developed ulcers from a combination of the increase in weight and stress from lack of sleep and overwork. This was a real shock and I got myself on a strict diet and started running again. Six months later I was running sub 1:45 half marathons.

When my second child was born I was better prepared. I avoided comfort food and made special time in my life to run. It is amazing the difference an hour or so running on a Sunday morning can make to your physical and mental fitness. I did reduce the amound of running I did in the six months after our second was born (you can try and do too much and end up stressing other parts of your life). After that six month period I ramped back up again with ease. I had no weight gain second time round and was generally a lot happier.
  • Options
    it is all about compromise, i think. mr tweety is not a runner but he tells me to go out for a run and looks after mini tweety (just turned 3) and i take her when he takes his son (aged 11) to the cinema.
    i like to go for a run; it gives me time to myself and keeps the baby blubber off. the cold weather at this time of year also wakes you up after a bad night's sleep.

take it in turns. offer to look after baby while your wife has a lie in/bath and she looks after the baby while you go for a run. i can guarantee she will jump at the chance!
  • Options
    My monsters are coming up 3 and 8 months... I still run .... I have too or I would go insane. I find that gettting out the door at 0500 before they wake up is one way, lunchtime runs are another and last resort is after they have gone to bed but thats cutting into "Adult" time which Mrs DD and I need to remain sane. Best feeling in the world? Crossing the finish line of a marathon with your kids in your arms.

Enjoy

DD
  • Options
    Zip - I'm not a parent (and never intend to be one), but what I can share with you is don't be out all the time running, and not to let Mrs Zip do it all!!!

My dad used to cycle (and very good he was too), and mum just used to get fed up being left looking after me and older my brother. In fact, she is still going on about it 31 years later!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats and good luck - I'm sure you'll love it!
  • Options

I've got a wee boy who is 8 months now. It can be a struggle trying to find time to run - but using nap times is an idea that has really worked for me.

The other thing is maybe dropping distances - but upping the intensity. I'm currently aiming at 5Ks instead of halfs.. It means you can cut the time you have to be away - but work harder when you are.

Good luck - you'll really enjoy parenthood, I'm sure.

S
  • Options
    A bit of a shock to find this has made the home page of RW!! Really helpful information though and lots to take on board. Baby is due in 4 weeks so am out running at every opportunity at the mo but am prepared for the chnages that follow. It will be difficult to not have the freedom to just pop on the trainers and walk out the door but from what people say I probably wont want to when mini zip is born anyway. Thanks for all the tips, i am sure Mrs Zip will be appreciative too.
  • Options
    Just make sure you are not out running at time mini zip decides to appear!
  • Options
    Zip, Congratulations first and foremost. We are expecting our first little Lardy on 8th December so I know what you are going through. I am hoping to do the FLM in April (I deferred from last year) but I think the key is to be flexible and don't get too hung up on things. The marathon will always be there. It's not selfish to want your own time but it is selfish if it is at the expense of Mrs Z, so you need to compromise.

One tip I was told was that if you run in the evenings, get changed into your kit as soon as you get in from work. Then you can wash, feed, cuddle the baby and do what new dads do (I'm sure we'll find out what this is), give Mrs Z a break, then when all is hunky dory, you can shoot off for your run.

It's my feeling that for the first few weeks (at least) you'll want to be around and not disappear.

Sorry for the lack of advice but I'm sure that in a little over two weeks I'll be able to give you first hand 'real-time' info.

Lardy
  • Options
    Our first baby is due in January, so this thread has been very interesting!

Glad so many people say they manage to fit the running in!
  • Options
    I didn't run when STS Jr was born - shes now 6 and getting time to myself can still be awkward. To minimise disruption to the family life, I do the vast majority of my running from work during lunch. Luckily there is a shower on-site.

Luckily, on flexi hours, I can get 4x50mins and 1x1:15 or so in most weeks. Unfortunately, the busy times (when you need to get out the most) are the times when it is hardest to get out of the office.

Baby-joggers have been mentioned - but you could also look at a child-seat for a bike to give you some more time out exercising and Mrs Zip some time off - or you could all go together as a family.

With any pram though and a new-born its fairly easy to get some time in. Get up with Jr, change, feed and dress suitably, then take them out for a fast paced stroll (or run/walk). You get the fresh air and time with Jr, Mrs Zip gets a lie in....

Dave
  • Options
    Mrs Zip will be loving these ideas I think. She seems to be getting lots of lie ins......!!
  • Options
    Our baby is now nearly a year old and the event was life changing to say the least!

Whilst I would not change having him I have to now revolve my life around some certain and uncertain factors IE baby time/Work and not to mention we have a dog as well that needs some walking.

I find the weekend 'long' runs the hardest because being in work all week I can feel guilty about not spending more time with him. Added to that a sleepless night ruins my training programme!.

Never mind, you will find like me that as much as it can change your running to say the least, the experience is wonderfull and I would not swap, altough I must admit I would not mind some middle ground!!

Best wishes with the little one.
  • Options
    Congratulations Zip, your life will never be the same, such a cliche but so true.

I know have 2 boys, 3 and 1. My husband and I negotiate training times each week, I like to run 4 times a week with one being a long one. We take turn about on the weekends, during the week he cycles and I get up earlier than usual, or run at lunchtime , as I have good neighbours and a supportive Mum( doting Grandma).

Having only one, unless it turns out to be twins!! You should be ok for running in the first 3 months as they tend to just eat and sleep. The problem will be the disturbed nights, my first slept the night at 6 months, my second took a bit longer, I found that the killer.

I started running with the baby buggy when my first was about 5 months, and in a bit of a routine, that was great and got me seriously back into things.

So you could train and give your wife some ME TIME. There are some good running buggies out there.

All the best hope all are happy and healthy
  • Options
    i am a dad to 2 girls 9 and 11 i so lucky they love running they run for leigh harriers and we run together alot at weekends and some eveing run to only about 5k but its fun tip as soon as there walking get them running ok
  • Options
    Try realy early morning runs just after settling the babe down with a 4:30 feed. Remember to take a mobile with you and choose a route that lets you get home quickly if you need to. I have 4 of the little darlings so try and extend my work lunch for regular training. Best advice is to be FLEXIBLE and don't get to hung up on "me time" and enjoy.
  • Options
    I took little legs for his first race a few weeks ago. He's been hankering to "run with Daddy" for a while now and when I disappear off on an LSW he spends the time running up and down the hallway! We found a local 10k with a fun run but forgot to check how far the fun run was. We set off at the back (he's only 3) as we knew we'd be in the way. By 200yds he was walking. By 400 yards he was being carried on my hip. At 500yds he was on my shoulders. I didn't fancy risking my back by running with him up there so we walked the course which turned out to be 2miles! By the time we'd got back the 10k had set off and I got a DNS!!! But he got his medal and he's hung it on his wardrobe door just like I hang my favourite medals on my wardrobe door.

1....2....3..... ahhhhhhhhh!
  • Options
    My training partner has 3 gorgeous girls under the age of 5 and took up running after they were born. We run first thing in the morning and time it so she gets back just as they wake up....that way she's not missing out on any Mummy bits and they don't even notice that she gone. This works well although she's very jealous of the fact that I get to go home and soak in the bath in peace and quiet....I keep promising to swap with her for a day, but it hasn't quite happened yet!
  • Options
    Zip, you've been given plenty of ideas to start off with and I'm sure you'll come up with some of your own too.

The thing I would say is to remain flexible (no, I don't mean that you should touch your toes every day!). Something that sounds a good idea now might seem impossible when junior comes along. Likewise, things that work at 4 weeks might not be appropriate for you at 4 months, 4 years etc.

As long as you continue to consider the needs of junior and Mrs Zip, as you are now, then I'm sure you'll find a away that works for you.
  • Options
    Just spotted this thread, and it makes me want to join in. We've got 3; 3 months, 2 and 3.75.

Things to remember:

One is easier, so try and get a routine established now if you can

Make sure you make time for all the family

Try not to obsess, I get days when I really get fed up with everything going wrong and not getting out, but it doesn't really matter

I took all 3 out a month ago, baby and 2 year old in the buggy and the 3.75 running with Daddy. Great fun.

I use lunchtimes as much as I can for running

Just enjoy it as much as you can, and do what fits in best with the family.