Options

Right, no slacking! training Tuesday 25th Feb

13»

Comments

• Options
    Hi hippo, just wanted to say, I'm convinced your fitness is much higher than your confidence lets you see at the moment.

It's perfectly possible to train for a marathon without any speedwork at all, I know I've said it before but I did virtually no speedwork before my first marathon but concentrated on the endurance (I tried to do the schedules, but got fed up with constantly failing the sessions, so gave in gracefully)- if you run most or all the way you will get under 5 hours.

Most people don't do 52 hr shifts when marathon training - how do you feel generally, always tired or OK?
  • Options
    we need a training thread for , erm, less speedy, or less fit people
  • Options
    I feel , ok i think

I dont know laura, ive missed so much sleep over so many years that my ok may not be ok

Im tired with this training though
  • Options
    No it didn't!!!!!

Hippo, you never cease to amaze me; the fact that you are making time for a marathon in a lifestyle like yours is a massive achievement alone. I don't know many runners who'd manage a speed endurance session after no sleep; you've got to take into account how much being on your feet all day affects your legs.

I know it's hard but the hard work you're doing now really will pay off, and at least you have past marathon experience to build on.

In your next rough patch, tell yourself you're fab, because you reeaally are.

;)
  • Options
    ta petal

it would be ok if i hadnt done a little running

But i have, and i want to do better

Tonight, there was a girl doing intervals next to me

she really went for it, was nearly sick

My brain wouldnt let me, and im annoyed
  • Options
    What: 5.5 am easy
    9 miles pm - track session 24x 400m alternating 10k pace (83 secs) and marathon pace (94-96 secs)

Why: schedule said 1k reps but we fancied this.

Last hard - race Sunday
    Last rest - Sat 15th
  • Options
    Hippo
    It's earned you much respect - you still keep doing it.

Ventured down to Wirral session with a degree of apprehension. However, a warm-up didn't send my HR thru the roof, & explained the score to the coach - who banned me from any "effort" sessions for 2 weeks. So much for getting some speed training under my belt for the first 5K of the season on 23/3.....
    Accompanied the crew outward for 2½ miles+ at nice pedestrian (conversational) pace and HR never ventured above about 148. Most of them then went on to take on some hills, while I trotted back with another girl just getting over a bug.
    40 mins running, pretty slow, avge HR 143 - I'd have settled for that before I went out.
  • Options
    Sorry - the 'no it didn't' was referring to you saying you'd killed off the thread; I'm just slow at typing!!

And if it's any consolation, skinny freaks find running really tough too; we just look like we should be able to run fast; I'm one of the thinner people I know, but I'm nowhere near fast - yet!!!!

Rock on hippo;)
  • Options
    good to see you back mike

I wont give up peeps, i cant, not in the nature
    Just wish i could do it better, others who train like me actualy improve

im a blob, and it will cary on being hard

But, unlike at school, im doing it for me
    Just wish the hard work would show an improvement

• Options
    Can't keep up with you!!

It doesn't matter what the person next to you is doing. When running, YOU'RE the one that matters; there's simply no way you can compare yourself with someone else in a training session, and it's not fair on you if you do. In my opinion, it's better to save the eyeballs-out, vomit-inducing runs to when you're trying to break records in races, rather than in training - just think how long she'll take to fully recover from that session!
  • Options
    thanks freakette

but i really think a beginners training thread may work

A lot of the fantastic people on here post scary schedules
  • Options
    Nope dear, she checked her makeup, and wandered off to the weights

Gaaaaaaaaaaah
  • Options
    Not reaaaly bothered about her though

bothered about lack of progress
  • Options
    Think of them as inspiring, not scary.

And like I said, what other people are doing is of no consequence when it's you out there, plugging away at the miles.

You will improve at running, simply because you are motivated to, and that is far better than having heaps of natural talent and being lazy.

You've gotta remember that all runners are fantastic for what they do, yourself included. If I could inject a bit of confidence in you I would; as it is, I'll keep pointing out all your fab bits and hope you'll listen to me!!!!
  • Options
    Thats really nice

but i have always been crap at sport

For a tiny minute, i hoped they were wrong

They arent

It doesnt mean i cant run marathons

i just am better at singing and medicine
  • Options
    Life's funny like that. My biggest ambition was to get into med school, but I never made it. I've had to accept that I'm just not right for that particular path, no matter how much I love it, and so am channeling my energy into sports physiology instead. We can't all be the best at what we may really want to be, but we can always strive to improve and build upon what we have - everyone has something to build on.

And I only got into running because I could get away from all the taunts in PE for being the world's most poorly co-ordinated freakette!!! Yet running has made more out of my life than I ever could have hoped for...I guess there's a reason for everything!

What kind of stuff do you sing? I've been know to warble the odd note or two in my time...
  • Options
    I dont sing now

if you are a doctor, you do little else(80 plus hour weeks0

Soprano, choral stuff, said to have professional operatic voice 20 years ago
  • Options
    Wow!!!! To have a voice like that is amazing! I'm also a soprano at heart, though recently I've done a bit of function singing for some quick cash. I've attempted some operatic pieces, but never really had the training to sound anything like a proper singer - you could give me lessons!!!

So, you're a fab singer, you save people's lives and you participate in one of the oldest, toughest sports known to man...if that doesn't tell you something wonderful about yourself, I don't know what will;)
  • Options
    nite dear

Dont sing now, mores the pity
  • Options
    Well Hippo my voice makes small children cry, so I'll have to stick to running!

Funny day today, had regained normal use of legs by this morning so did a 3.5 mile off- road run at work. Then husband finished work in time so I could go down to the club, Did maybe 6.5 miles of hillyness, realised how hungry I was and went for a Kentucky fried chicken before my swimming lesson, practised getting my arm pull better.

I am now pretty tired.

Supposed to be doing 15 miles @ marathon pace tomorrow- oh that's today now, whatever.