Is a marathon a good idea?

2»

Comments

• this thread was posted in 2003, i think!

wonder if Thomas did do the marathon

im now on a few more than 2-oopsie!
  • Go for it !

If you can jog a bit now, and regularly hike 20 miles you will be ok if you start training now.

Usual rules about getting decent shoes and socks, you'll know about that from hiking.

Unlikely that you will set the world alight but do it this year with out any pressure of a decent time. You will catch the bug an be back for more next year, use your first marathon as a dress rehearsal for the 2nd one.
  • Do you think I should do a marathon?

(Rowan is in a time warp)
  • Go for it!

I'm a heavy smoker and I ran my first marathon in a time of 3:32. Untill this day my freinds are still buying me beers!!!!!!!!!(they lost the bet!!!!!!!!)

I'm training for my first Ultramarathon. Experts say that you should get at least 2 marathons behind you before you try the longer distances. I say, what's the point?

If you can do 42, then you can do 400!!!!!!!! Besides, I like the element of going into the unknown. Who knows, maybe I'll experience that magical feeling of the second wind! 

• This thread is hilarious - it keeps resurfacing.  That's about five times now over a four year period!image

• I'm running my first marathon this year- FLM- and i am running Silverstone Half as a training run.  I've ran Silverstone before, but i am not sure if i should run it for a PB or run slower, as a long training run for Marathon.  Any advice would be great.
  • Thomas,

If you are still looking for a place in the Edinburgh Marathon and you fancy running for charity, Chest, Heart & Stroke Scotland can provide you with a place (or for anyone else reading this that would like to run this year and have no places).  We have a few runners that are running for the first time this year, and a couple who have less experience than you do.  We can assist you with fundraising and give you training advice.  Go for it! 

If you fancy giving it ago give me a call on 0131 220 9599 or email me on jenny.smith@chss.org.uk

• I'm 16 stone. Just decided to run my first ever marathon next march in Cornwall for charity (and to challenge myself!). Trying to lose weight and started run/walking. Please advise! Any other COMPLETE beginners out there?!
  • Jenny, this thread is 5 years old! Thomas could have done 20 marathons by now!

Rachy - Loads of beginners on here. Just join in!

• ive just found this thread and although it is a very old one, I thought Id add a bit.

When I restarted running after an 8 year gap of doing nothing and decided my aim was a marathon, I was advised that I would need to be running 6 times a week, and need about a year and a half to get ready for it.

However, after staring in January not being able to run 1 mile[that was embarrasing], I managed to build  slowly to 3 weekly runs,  a 4 mile, and a 6 mile, along with the weekly long run, which built up to 18 miles, and complete the mablethorpe marathon 9 months later.

Not a great time, but I managed it in 3hr 42 mins., and at a bodyweight of 14 stone

So id say getting ready for a marathon does not need to take years, or need to be 5-6 days running a week.

• I dont think the OP did do his planned race, and he never came back again..

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    I wonder what happened to that Big Hipps person on the first page who was doing her second marathon?
  • Who knows....

You know the type - prob does two maras tops and quits after that = to take up a life of Pringles and Gin swigging....