First timer help

Hi I am so excited about doing the London Marathon but also very scared. The most I have completed is the Race for Life every year and even then I could not run all the way round.

I am now into the fourth week of Hal Higdon Novice training plan and I am running 4 to 5 times a week. The most I have completed is 7 miles without stopping and it took me 1 hr 15 minutes I was so pleased with myself.

I did a 3 miler yesterday, no problems with the run apart from the legs. They ache all the time and now I am getting joint ache in the hips and thighs. Can anyone give me any tips on what to do? Will this feeling go away soon? A bit scared as I have got to do 9 miles on Sunday!!!

Also, is there anyone out there that lives in the Tewkesbury area that would like to do long runs on a Sunday, I am getting a bit bored on my own even with the ipod!!!

Thanks

Comments

• It might be a good idea to have a sports massage if you're getting stiff.

But also don't get to caught up in 'having' to go out for a run if it's on your schedule. Listen to your body - if you need to rest, better to do it now that push yourself too hard and injuring yourself. But also, if you do skip a run, don't try to play catch up after.

Sorry I'm not anywhere near Tewkesbury otherwise I would come and run with you. Good luck!
  • Well done on your progress so far, sounds like you're going well.

There's a couple of things you could consider. Firstly your shoes, have you had them long, did you get advice from a running shop before you bought them?
    And secondly, you may be running too quickly which would explain why your legs are always aching.
    Oh and third, do you stretch after you run, and are getting good sleep etc?
  • Good points MB! So easy to overlook the simplest things.
  • Well done on your running - looks like you have made a good start.

I like to have Rego drink after long runs, I find it helps with muscle pain. Slimfast Shakes are good too,. and tasty. Not so sure about joint pain though. Maybe its just your body getting used to it ?

Have you got an easier week coming up soon ?

Tewkesbury is lovely and I'd like to help, but I'm 2 hours away. I've relatives in Twyning, but dont think they can run.
  • Cas27 - Sports massage sounds good, might look into that. I am due to do 3 miles today but I am giving myself a rest, hopefully this will help for the Sunday run.

MB - I have bought some proper running shoes this week, had to get on treadmill to be assessed. Only ran yesterday for 3 miles in them and they are really comfortable. I also stretch after warm up and after. Not sure about sleep though, I have a 5 year old who still wakes in the night most nights (thats another story!!!!) Anyhow I have a very supportive husband who doesnt frown on me putting my feet up more than usual.

Cougie - Weeks seem to be getting harder now but heho I am training for the marathon!!! Will take on board the sports drink though not heard of Rego where can I get this from?

Thanks for all your advice its good to hear from you proffessionals.

• You can get Rego from decent running shops or bike shops or mail order through people like Wiggle.
  • Thanks Cougie, I will look out for it.
  • Professionals! I like it :-)

Sounds like you're doing everything right then. I'd try slowing down some of your runs then and see if that helps.