Options

Sub 25 - and beyond!

Comments

• Options
    Brief (brief! ha, no chance) rundown of what I've been up to...

Saturday: Cycled to Finsbury Park track. Drills and strides Short fast reps as suggested by Hastings coach: 2 sets of (40 - 60 - 40 with walk backs x 3) Legs leaden, gloomy.

Sunday: Sat around sulking. Might have cycled to Islington. Probably ate a load of cake.

Monday: Pulled myself together and had a good day. Thorough upper body work out in the morning including 3 x 1 minute planks, plus all the usual suspects: press-ups, tricep dips, hammer curls, lat lifts, back extensions.
    In the affie the hill session P. had suggested for me. Jogged to the park (scenic Hackney Downs) did me drills and strides, which felt ludicrously difficult for some reason. Perhaps because I was wearing trainers with more heel than my usual Mizuno Idatens, which are light as feathers and flat as the proverbial mid Lenten fayre. Perhaps because the drills were on tarmac rather than track. But perhaps just because my legs are tired for some reason. The strides, on lumpy grass, resembled struggling to get out of second gear jogs.

Knew I should have made better note of the details. The hills were supposed to be short, I had to keep form and if I lost it then stop. But I couldn't remember how many reps, and what recoveries - so had to guess.

Ended up doing 3 x (6 x 30- 40m quite steep inclines, almost fullout, with walk down recoveries) So 18 short reps in all.

Tuesday: Cycled 8 miles, did some abs stuff. Did some work.

Wednesday: Cycled to Finsbury Park track. Drills and strides. Drills not too bad. Strides a bit iffy against the wind. Which then dropped. Hurrah.
    Couldn't remember exactly which long session P. had suggested, so trawled my log book and decided on: 2 x 200, 2 x 150, 2 x 100 with roughly 300m walk recoveries. Recoveries actually shorter than they would be at the group because I get bored walking round the track on my own.

Little bit of dodging and weaving had to go on as there were two ladies trundling round with a pushchair, and two middle aged blokes in shiny shell suits slowly jogging and HOGGING the inside lane. This is absolutely NOT ON! BAD! Preserve track etiquette please!

I timed myself although it's only rough and not a great idea, not TOO bad considering I would still have hills in legs. (Sounds lumpy!)

Yesterday another 10 mile bike ride (John Lewis and back actually) and a repeat of the thorough upper body session of Monday.

Feeling a bit more cheery this morning after a vey carefully planned and plan adhered to few days.

Now do I go to the Serpie jumps training session at Picketts Lock tomorrow. Quite a few of my mates will be there and it will be fun....

The return of the dreaded High Jump!

Cracked ribs ahoy!
  • Options
    PQ Aw - I love the sound of you training with your little girl!
  • Options
    PQ should b training with me, but I've got to work, so she gets the easy option image
  • Options

Sharkie - sounds like you haven't been idle anyway ! High jump eeek good luck with that !

Daz - yes for once it was me barking the orders  image

Well we went for our little run and C surprised me with how far she could run without stopping. We just did 1.08 miles in 12:38 and that included 2 walk breaks of about 1 min each. She really enjoyed it image

• Options

I managed 28.44 as part of my tempo run yesterday!!  Looks like I might be able to go sub 25 in a race one day!!  image

Cant believe I would ever be able to do that!

Well done to Lil PQ!  Obviously going to be a speed merchant like her mum!

• Options

PQ - that's great about your littl'un, our 2 sluglets are aged 8 & 6 and are both vaguely interested in the odd jog every now and then (our littlest sluglette is still a bit too young (3 in May)) - I have increasingly started to pick races that have accompanying fun runs or junior runs.

also, we took our kids to one of these last year:

www.runforthechildren.co.uk

it was a really well run event, and the kids seemed to enjoy it - is there one anywhere near you this year? 

• Options
    Rio!! - Welcome to the thread image - 28:44 is an excellent time if you're running in a Little Miss Naughty costume - ever thought of taking it off? image
  • Options
    No she is much too much fun! image
    People might not like what they see underneath! 
  • Options

DTS - Thanks for that link, the nearest one to me is in Bristol and is actually on C's birthday in June ! It looks like a great day out so will definitely look into it image

Rio - speed merchant lol one day maybe !

• Options

You look super speedy to me!

And your times are reflecting it too!

• Options

I did a Run From The Children with my last work. There were no children though? Perhaps it was something else.

Sharkie Arg! Track etiquette! Lane one is for "proper" people eg: yourself. Outer lanes are for those wielding pushchairs etc. A pushchair on the track though? Surely that's not allowed?

When me and athletics posse went to Tenerife for warm weather training there was a group pf Germans who just came on to the track, moved all our bags out of the shade by the wall, set up their hurdles over the full 8 lanes of the track, let their children run amok all over the place....... making me angry just remembering it so paragraph structure gone to cock. Then one of their children smashed its stupid head into the hurdle rack. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha aha ha ha ha h ah ah a!!!!!!  I did want to kill them all.

So Sharkie, please do tell your longest long jump and highest high jump. I never got to grips with high jump. PE teachers said as I was good at long jump I should be good at high jump? How does that work? Anyway, I was NOT good at high jump. But no more rib cracking please. Or only through the medium of laughing heartily at something.

Hi Rio! I don't think you are ever going to run sans Miss Naughty suit ever again. Do you have to give her back? You'll feel naked if you ever have to run without her!

• Options

I would want to be running from the children too Ostrich image

Yes I do have to give Little Miss Naughty back image.  But I dont actually train in her.  She would be the target of too many jibes and at risk of possible dog attack too going on my experiences so far!

• Options
    Finsbury Park track is a law unto itself. You are supposed to pay, and being Goodie Two Spikes I always do, but loads of characters just sort of wander in from various sides of the park. I find myself getting a bit Daily Mail about the non paying element then the image of me reading the Daily Mail causes such an adverse reaction that I think "well at least they are using the track." Tricky...

Ostrich How was the comedy workshop? You have been very quiet about it. Was it disappointing?
  • Options

hi rio.  welcome - and good luck with the sub 25 quest.

running from the children sounds exactly what i'd be doing too.  

sharkie - it does sound like you have been busy.  perhaps writing down the sessions would help with details?  i'm always vry nervous about using the track for fear i manage to breach the unknown etiquette rules.  unfortunately noone ever bothers to explain it to new people - they just assume and tut.  i'm always worried about what i'm supposed to do when one of these flying speedy types comes thundering up behind me.  am i supposed to try and move out of his way?  even though i'm doing a timed rep too?  or will he go wide to come past me?  eeeek.

as for is it all coming together - well yes.  and then no.  yes it is now pretty clear that i'm in the right sort of shape to run the 1.45 HM that i'm after.  but i cant work out why i'm having such an up and down time of it.  i know everyone has good days and bad days.  but they seem so very extreme right now.  the 2 x 5ks went so well.  i also did another run with club on thursday that went very well too.  but there were those couple of impossibly stupidly hard "easy" runs last week and then another one yesterday.  i averaged 6.30 pace (normal easy pace is about 5.50 - 6.00), had to stop twice, and for the last 5k i had this incredibly painful stitch - even for the km i did at 7.50 pace.  i'm wondering if its something to do with the additional mileage but that doesn't seem quite right - my legs aren't hugely tired etc.  

but anyway - overall yes it is coming together and i'm very hopeful about the HMs.  first one is only 8 weeks away now.  i'm also planning to do a 5k on tuesday and was hoping to do reasonably well.  typically though the weather forecast for wind says monday 18kmh, tuesday 43kmh, wednesday 19kmh.  *sigh*

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Running from children LOL

Did a run for the Children in 2006 i think a 3km race which i throughly enjoyed - no surprise really and was pretty shocked when i was near the finish on the athletics track, that it was over so soon Looking at the dates rats (was going to type summat else) none that close to me. When i did it there was one in Basildon. None this year imageThough that might be because Gloucester Park is changing, hope we'll be able to race there, there have been some fine racing there

Sharkie, Ostrich and any other track runners - found this on Fetch, ever encountered this

Welcome Rio

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Hello Rio and welcome.
  • Options
    M Sigh indeed with the wind forecast for Tuesday. Perhaps the days will have reorganised themselves by then. It can happen, especially with high winds. Don't know what to say about your ups and downs, except to agree that it could be to do with the increased mileage. Sometimes one doesn't actually 'feel' the tiredness - but it's there. So your easy runs will be when you experience the catching up process? Not putting it very well but TS said something similar to me last year. (Not that you are going to experience my getting slower. Nonononononononono. NO! ) Easy is a bit of a misleading term we reckoned.

Perhaps you won't know until you've run the half but I wonder where your heart lies in respect to race distance now. Sorry if you've already said.

As for track etiquette. Yeah it would be good if someone explained it properly. The only thing I have been absolutely TOLD was when I first went to Serpie sessions. One does NOT warm up on the inside lanes - ie 1 and 2. Also - if someone is zooming up behind you when you are just trundling along they shout 'track' and you shift. But as you point out, who is most entitled to the inside lanes? One person's trundle is another persons lightning speed - as I well know! But I know you know all this....

Suppose it's just down to manners and common sense. We are definitely the quickest group at HAC but on a busy night we spend quite a bit of time waiting for various other groups to get round before we can start a rep. There are quite a few 9- 14 year olds and one or two of our group would absolutely flatten them if they collided. J (P.'s daughter who has coached kids herself) gets very cross because she thinks we are the only lot who consider others. I'm not sure but there is an element of truth there. Perhaps the youngsters just aren't as aware?

• Options

Hi everyone,

I raced a 5k this morning. It was a bit of a last minute decision but that's the good thing about the time trials as you can just turn up whenever. I was thinking about it last night and decided I would make my mind up when I saw the weather this morning. When I woke it was windy but dry so decided I would go for it. Kind of regretted it when we got there as it seemed windier than I first thought image.

Anyway decided it would be a good fast training run if nothing else but set off with a target pace of 4:40 per km in my head. The first two kms went well, I was faster than my target but then it got windy and I lost a bit of time on 3 & 4. I knew though that I was still on track for a pb unless I really lost the plot on the last km. This didn't happen as I finished strongly and came in at 23:09 which is a pb by 28 seconds since my last attempt 3 weeks ago. Am very pleased and fairly confident I can do sub 23 next time if it's not windy. Think I came second in my age category too !

Splits were 4:35, 4:37, 4:47, 4:47, 4:21.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend !

• Options

congrats PQ - thats very good racing and a really fast last km there - a very good sign for more to come.

sharkie - you are right and i wont make a decision about the 5k until on the day.  if its 25km or less winds i'll probably run it but at over 40km i wont bother.  i'd rather put in a decent training run.

i have decided though to race "martinborough round the vines 21km fun run" next week.  venom is in the US for work and i wanted something to do at the weekend and this looks like it.  i doubt its particularly accurately measured and they only give places to the first 10 finishers (remind you of anything - yes thats right its like the NZ version of race for life!) but i'll have my garmin to give me a reasonable idea of how far i've actually run.   

as for where my heart is distance wise - well i'm very much enjoying half marathon training right now.  although i dont really see it as half marathon training as much as training for everything up to half marathon.   but i've run 17 5ks in the last year (not including XC ones) and i do feel a bit 5kd out.  still the 5k season ends in early april and doesn't start again till august - by which time i'll no doubt be wanting to give it a go again.  harrier season starts in a few weeks and right now i'm really looking forward to XC.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Congratulation PQ image
  • Options
    impatiently waiting to hear from pammie.....
  • Options
    I've told her to get over here!
  • Options
    PQ Realy smashing run by you yesterday. That is such a big chunk to take off a 3 week old PB. Well done indeed.

I am so jealous of all these PBs and races.
    I am thinking of disappearing altogether I am so something or other.
  • Options

thats ok - i've gone over there and read it now

pammie - you are brilliant.

now i really have to go to work! 

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

PQ - Well done on Yesterday

Sorry M after i posted i didn't see sharkies post till now, got side tracked with Dancing on Ice

It was a good route but really can't remember much of the scenery apart from men standing in farmers fields but i didn't look too hard. Honest

my splits for the race were

Split time Avg. HR
    9:09 136 (64%)
    8:46 147 (71%)
    8:56 156 (77%)
    8:59 162 (81%)
    9:17 159 (79%)
    8:45 159 (79%)
    9:06 162 (81%)
    9:29 164 (82%)
    9:15 160 (80%)
    9:17 161 (80%)
    9:01 162 (81%)
    9:03 161 (80%)
    9:09 168 (85%)
    1:02 171 (87%)

1:59:20 finish time

Beginning was a little congested but basically tried not to let gaps appear in front of me. But HR is too low 

But something too work on and hopefully more to come

Sharkie - Don't you dare disappear. Thats an order.image

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Pammie - Brilliant run. When is your next half marathon? Sorry sharkie.

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Tracey i don't know yet. Definitely after the you know what, possibly the autumn maybe pick one for then and target it, but concentrate on the short races over the summer get them times down which will help when i do my next one.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Pammie - I might enter Dartford half marathon. I have entered Kent Coastal Half Marathon.
  • Options

Hi everyone and thanks for the congrats image

It's great getting a pb but it also means the speed reps have to be done even faster to progress to the next level ! image

Anyway Pammie, great running today, well done you ! image

• Options
    pammie that is so cool - huge congrats on your first sub 2 (first of many). you must be feeling great about your m******* now. i'm so pleased for you image