Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Pfitzinger sticks a 3 x 1600m @ 5 k pace off 2 min recoveries in the penultimate week before  a marathon. Just enough to keep you sharp - not enough to tire/risk injury.
  • Coniston Trail Race yesterday

14.52 k's around Coniston Copperminse and Torver awith a view of the lake at the end. Flippin' great race. 13th out of around 400. Ron Hill ran the race. Taper starts properly now. Had an issue with a nerve in my leg, but painkillers and deep heat eliminate it.

Next race is 26.2 miles in a flat land image

In pen c for the race

• 23.5 undulating/hilly miles yesterday - starting to struggle over the last mile or so with hip flexors tightening up badly but knees held up well (for a change) - planning to have an easy week before Jog Shop Jog next Sunday and then into rest, replenish and recovery mode.

Best marathon time this year was 3:39 at Shakespeare -  absence of quality mileage over the summer means I'm unlikely to get any where near that.

• You leave your bags at Sportshall Zuid, about 5 mins away from the stadiunm. I is where the marathon marketis and where you collect your number.
    there are also changing and shower facilities.

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Does anyone know Amsterdam well enough to recommend a good pub or bar to watch the rugby final?  Or will it even be covered by Dutch TV?  Major issue if England get to the final - trying to watch a 9pm kick-off with mineral water only is going to be a huge test of mental fortitude.  Not sure I'm strong enough to go against the flow - a sub-2.50 attempt might depend on France beating us next weekend image

PS, am staying at a hotel on the edge of Vondelpark (about 3km from the stadium I think)

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Don`t know what the general view on depletion and loading is - but this is an interesting summary:  hhtp://www.phabkids.co.uk/advice/carboloading

I`ve never had the courage to try depletion. Any guinea pigs ?

• DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Dan A - I had exactly the same thoughts about alcohol-free watching of the Rugby World Cup Final earlier today!
  • Beetle - a couple of serious-marathoner friends of mine tried it in a low key race as an experiment last year.  Outcome was not pro-depletion.  Haven't tried it myself.
  • There are loads of places to watch the rugby.  If you're at the top end of the Vondlepark Dan A you have quite a few bars in Leidseplein (v touristy and likely to be busy though).  There's also a pub we go to to watch the footie on Marie Heinekenplein, just behind the brewery.  That also shows all the rugby and is likely to be a bit quieter...

I imagine quite a few people will want to watch the game (depending on who's in the final of course).  If so maybe we should organise a meet? 

• British TV will be on the set in your room Dan no worries!
  • I had thought about watching the Rugby in a pub, but the temptation to overdrink would be too much, so we'll be watching in our apartment. with a bottle of water or Aldi sports drink - what's it called - Explosade? Ooo - must remember to pick some up - I've none left.

Muskateer - are you sure you can leave bags in the Ziod sportshall. The English translation is not clear:

"You can change your clothes in Sporthallen Zuid. You can deposit your clothes around the Olympic Stadium (marathon and Echo 5 km Run) and by IJsbaanpad (half marathon, between the Olympic Stadium and Sporthallen Zuid). Bags and clothes are left at your own risk, but they will not be left unsupervised. Do not leave valuable items in your clothing or bags! For a fee of € 0.50, you can deposit valuables securely at the sports hall. This applies only to small items such as wallets and watches."

My interpretation of that is that bags are left in the stadium. But it's not obvious.

• I am having a pig of a time trying to sort out a reasonably priced flight out on Friday evening/early afternoon from london. Thiefrow/Stanstead/City preferably

I am already thinking of coming back on the coach to save cash so if anyone has any ideas as to where to look for a reasonably priced one way (or better still a reasonably priced return)  Iwould be immensley pleasedl

• Silk I have done the half for the last year and the bag storage was at Sports Hall Zuid then. i haven't fully read this year's blurb. May be worth dropping them an email to clarify.

• Dear all,

As I haven't yet received my race pack and, given the delights of the postal strikes, the chances of getting it before next weekend are fairly limited, is there anything in the pack that I will need before the race, or does it just re-iterate the information available on the event website?

WP

• The "race pack" contains a large map (better than most ones in tourist guides) which shows the route of all the races (copies on their website) a few flyers for other races and a letter confiming your entry number and what catagory race you are in, T-shirt size, pasta party  etc.

If you have a fax number drop me an email and I'll copy the important bits off the back of the map regarding how to get to Sporthallen Zuid to collect your number and chip.

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Might be worth e mailing the organisers to get/obtain confirmation of your entry number ?

H  - what`s the name of the bar/pub in Marie Heinekenplein ? 

• O'Donnells.  If it's England in the final you can all come to mine though.  When will we know (clearly I've been following it closely!?)
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Thank you.

I have complete faith in England reaching the final. 

• That's a great offer H. You're in The Pipe aren't you? That's not far from where we are.

We'll probably stay in and watch it in our own place, but  it's a tempting thought to watch it with a native Amsterdammer while in Amsterdam.

We'll know about 9.45pm (10.45 Amsterdam time) on Saturday if England are through. You'll probably hear the cheer in Holland!

• Hey SilkTork, you found a place to stay then?

• Yes.

This is the area: Prinsengracht/Reguliersgracht.

file:///C:/Users/Froggy/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

file:///C:/Users/Froggy/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg

And this is the house: 17th Century Garden House

80 Euros a night for the both of us. We're chuffed.

Will the Rugby final be shown on regular Dutch TV? Have the other matches been shown? 

• The file screenshot lines above were my failed attempt at putting in some pictures.
  • Looks lovely!  The final might be on 'normal' TV, will check.  Should be on cable though.

Got my race pack last night too. 

• How is everyone feeling.  I am not very confident at the moment feeling very tired and not really up to scratch - it may be that all the weeks of training have finally caught up.  Oh well the worst that can happen will be to have to walk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Getting nervous and not liking the tapering  - will go out for a slow but hilly 4 miles this lunchtime.

Any one else registered with the pacing groups? and have you heard anything back from them?

• Hi all,

final bits of training odd, in the taper I'm cutting out the distances but I'm finding it hard to rub slowly, or not really go at the hills.

I'll make sure I slow down more next week I think.

Not registered with the pacing groups - I was just going to tag on to the balloons to be honest.

Jase

• I'm too old and slow to keep up with the pace groups. I'll just plod along at the back and have a chat with people.
  • I am getting a little nervous now, not about the Marathon, but I keep bumping in to people with stinking colds or coughs! And after all those months of training I will be very disappointed if I pick up a cold now. 

Hope you are all well and fit Good luck !