Flu

Help! I have a big race coming up mid september but yesterday came down with what I know today to be full blown flu. When can I expect to be out running again, I'n not Elite, rather an ambitious plodder!

Any suggestions would help.

Fiona.

Comments

• Listen to your body, Fiona. If you have full-blown flu, posting messages on the Runners World forums is as much exercise as you can cope with at the moment. Rest, sleep all you need, take time off work, rest, treat the symptoms with paracetamol, ibuprofe, codeine, or a combination of all of them, and did I remember to mention rest?

You can expect at least a week out of action, although you should be able to do your race. You will lose some fitness so it won't be your best race performance, but forcing yourself to go out training before you're ready is just going to lead to injury and delay your recovery.

I hope you feel a lot better soon.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Fiona, listen to V-rap. Take as much rest as your body needs, a week to 10 days or longer if you need it.

In the words of the great Gordon Pirie:

"The worst mistake an athlete can make is one that causes his own death".

In his book he has an example of an orienteer who died because he trained when he had flu!

What race are you doing?

• Thanks guys, I am still feeling like a boxer who has gone ten rounds with the heavyweight champion of the world and then been sent underwater to select my prize. The race is the robin hood half on the 15th, I am begining to think there is always next year. I will maybe try the treadmill at the gym at the end of the week but don't hold out many hopes. Just taken another two paracetamol and going back to bed....and the sun's shining!!!
  • Fiona, I find a high dose of Vit-C does the job of getting rid of the flu. Asda do a 100mg effervescent which also taste quite good and only 99p for 30 tabs. Bargain.
  • Hi Fiona

I hope you're feeling better today.

I have to agree with everyone else who's posted to this thread - don't take chances with a virus of any sort. If you're not right don't run.

Don't worry about missing a race either - even the greatest runners do that.

If you do happen to miss the Robin Hood (and if you're still poorly today you should seriously consider it) - consider the Worksop half on October 27th. Not a million miles from Nottingham - and one of the truly great "halfs" in the UK. Its a real stunner through the Autumn leaves in Clumber park. Nice fast course - decent sized field (though not as big as the Robin Hood)with a good ability spread. It also has the best changing facilities for any race I've ever been to - the Mayoral parlour in the town hall !!

As a fell runner I don't do many roadies - but I always clear my diary for this one.(although I'm gonna miss it this year 'cos of my back)

Trust me - you'll love it.
  • Never ever run with the Flu - BUT be certain that it is something horrible i.e. do you have a temperature? Sore throat? Raised resting pulse rate? If the answer is yes then don't run. If no, then maybe, but nothing too strenuous. I will sometimes run with a cold (as I find it "clears the tubes") but not with any of those symptoms - let your body be your guide.

You should probably not race but run if you feel OK just don't push it!
  • Thanks Simon, Being realistic I think this is the way forward. I am going into work today but driving instead of my usual cycle as I don't think I'd make all five miles without falling over! However I managed to get to my local running shop yesterday and bought myself a much needed new pair of shoes which are now staring at me accross the room. I'm still aiming for the gym on Friday even if only for a swim and a sauna.

I will contact the organisers of the Worksop half and as I do some of my more ambitious running in that area look forward to seeing the route.

Still sniffling but more optomistic,

Fiona.
  • Having come down with a "virus" the day I posted an entry for a race this weekend I know how you feel. Again I can only agree with everyone else. Don't run too soon. My husband has suffered from post viral syndrome for the past 9 years - it's just not worth the risk. Get healthy then run.
  • Fiona, I agree absolutely with all the above advice. That orienteer who died after training when he wasn't fit isn't just a story, I knew him, Mike Wells-Cole, he was a member of the British team and a Marine too. He was extremely fit and fast, went out for a training run when not recovered, and died 2 hours after returning from the run. I also know several runners who did the same thing and although didn't die from it, suffered an inflammation of the heart muscles and never could get back to proper running again. Take it easy,don't do too much too soon, and you'll be fine. There'll always be another race, but you only have 1 life. Best of luck.

Sheila Anne
  • If you run hard with a virus on board then you risk a good ticking off from a pathologist!
    Don't do it-I'm training for the robin hood half as well and have just come down with a raised temp. which is stopping me running-very frustrating but just too bad. Hope you recover soon.