Options

Walk/Run plan to return from injury?

I was just wondering if anyone had used a walk/run plan to return from injury? I don't necessarily mean as a way of starting afresh - I still feel as though I'd be up to running a fair few miles if it weren't for my injured knee! I'd assume that using a walk/run strategy would be a good way of building up the miles again, but I'd like to hear if someone else has done this and (hopefully) been successful? image

Comments

• Options

I am afraid I have tried and failed to do walk/run on return from various injuries (including current ankle one)! I am sure it is a much more sensible way but I just find it incredibly frustrating. I am trying to just limit length of runs, leave a day between runs, and do interval or higher intensity training instead of longer runs.

• Options

I too suffered a knee injury earlier this year and thought the run/walk thing might be the way forward. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me but admittedly, trail running was probably just slightly overly optimistic lol! 

But on a more serious note, what I did learn was to be very  patient and I do hope you've rested enough. I started running again too soon (twice!) and set myself back a few weeks everytime. In the end, I did lots of water jogging and when I did finally start running again, it was on the treadmill for a couple more weeks. I'm sure if I had done this from the start, I could have been back out on the trails in half the time.

I hope you're back to full health & strength soon - all the best.

• Options

I used walk/run toreturn from ITBS but I didn't follow a schedule - I just made it up as I went along. I think I started with 3 mins run 1 mins walk for 20-30 mins and then built up gradually. I did the odd 10 min run just to test my knee. I took about 6 weeks to get back to doing 3 mile runs without the walking. I had the odd twinge and backed off a bit when I did. Seemed to work for me.