Options

Track me!

Hi, anyone know of an app that will track me as I run so my husband can see where I am? 

I have started longer runs and live out in the country, running around the lanes. My husband would be happier if he could see where I was every so often and I wonder if there is such a thing where he could go online on PC log in and see where I was. I use Endomondo to track my own progress. I don't want to be tracked by anyone tho so wold need to be one where just visible to someone logged in to your account - if this makes sense!

Any advice would be fab.

Comments

• Options
    Google Latitude ?
  • Options

I have a live tracker app with my Garmin Edge 510 on my bike, it works using bluetooth from the Garmin to my iphone and anyone can watch my progress if i send them a link. 

It uses the garmin connect website and app so i would have thought there must be a similiar thing for running just not sure which Garmin models support it.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

There's something you can do with an iphone to track the phone.  You can see the location on a map, but I guess only if you know the phone's number (or some other code).

• Options
    stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

As wilkie mentioned, If you've got an iphone just use the "Find my iPhone" app to locate you (he needs to know your itunes account login to be able to track it).  Not as fancy as the Garmin live tracker app, but is probably enough for casual reference and is free (and also useful if you ever lose the phone!)

• Options

Real Time GPS Tracker is a good app on Andriod, can be remotely turned on so you do not have to have your phone on and tracking all the time so saves battery life.

I got it for the same reason so my wife can check where I am on a run for support or if she is worried ...

• Options

There is another app you can get called "find friends" which I use.  It works very well and you would be amazed how many times it is useful like timing dinner when husband on way home from work.  I also like the fact that he knows where I am on long runs as I have a habit of falling over ( 3 times recently)image

• Options

I'm sure there's a way, slightly creepy though

• Options

thanks guys and gals! Some ideas to check out. agree with Ekgo - creepy but thats why I only want hubby to have access otherwise I would be worried about who was watching me!! Some lonely dark lanes around here!!

• Options

have just downloaded "life360" its voted best GPS family tracker - will see how it goes. You can add family members and track them all. If you log onto the webiste on PC (with the admin log in then you can find the people you want and ask them to check in, or send them a message. Also shows some added things like hospitals, fire stations etc.

I will let you know if its any good next time I run!!

• Options

I'm in the GPS business so this is an area I have some knowledge of, unlike running!

I've been testing a number of apps to fnd the best solution to allow family and friends to track me on Sunday and the simplest by far, for the iPhone is Where Am I, available on iPhone and Android.

I've no affiliation, I run a GPS news website, I'm not a manufacturer. But this app has options to send a tracking token to friends via SMS, E-mail, Twitter or Facebook and works well. The tracking map can be viewed on your smartphone or via the desktop and once you're done you can revoke the location tracking, and better yet, it's free!

http://www.wheremi.pro

• Options

thanks - i will check this out. A lot of therse apps however only work on smartphones or iphone. My hubby has an old phone and it would be good to find one that works on PC easily. The life 360 does this so far and although you have to ask for a location that fine as he doesn't need to watch me run in real time - he has better things to do!!

Thanks for the help though.

• Options

Pip, if your husband logs into the endomondo website on his PC, he can watch your run in real time. I've watched my friend's progress before. Makes sense if you are already using endomondo!