Options

Winter training and half marathon

In April this year I decided I wanted to start running so after joining a running club and training myself up I took part in the Stratford 10k at the beginning of September. I also decided to sign up for the Bath Half Marathon next March but I really need some advice.

I have never been training during the autumn/winter and could do with any top tips anyone can give me with regards to training, motivation etc during the winter?

Comments

• Options

Colder, wetter, and darker. 

Only thing ing I find is neatly tempted to get an identical second pair of trainers as sometimes they are still damp.

it's the same as summer, the hardest thing is getting outside the front door. I actually enjoy running in the rain it's refreshing, gloves and a beany hat help wgen it's really cold just to keep the heat loss at sensible levels. Enjoy it image 

• Options

It's hard to give specific advice, because we're all different.  But generically, just keep up your mileages for a month or two, then look for a 10 -14 week training plan  (i.e. don't start a plan too early... or it can drag.)  

Also, if you join a club, that can give you a group to run with... so at least once or twice a week you're more likely to get out and run even if the weather is awful.

• Options

Two words ...... 'a gym' (is 'a' a word or just a character?)

• Options

Oh I ran more laps of a shorter well lit course which helped. But you might want to invest in a head torch I got through my first winter without one.

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Are you continuing to train with your club over the winter?

• Options

I enjoy running more in the winter months, rare the weather will be bad enough that can't get out, though watch those icy pavements.

Quite a nice feeling sitting in front of the fire with a cup of tea after braving the elements.

Think you've got to set the bar quite high when deciding not to go out because of weather, or you'll slip back.

First 5 minutes can be unpleasant when v cold but you'll feel great after that.

• Options

Don't overdress! I am a really cold person but you soon warm up once running and don't want to sweat too much as that is when you get chilled. An ear warmer is great and much better than a hat in general UK winter conditions. Watch out if you have shoes with big vents as they can be cold.

But as others say just be tough and get out the door as once out it is pretty unlikely you will go back.

• Options

ok so apparently Im the only person in the country who uses a gym during the winter ....... interesting revelation ........image

• Options

I tried it last winter Mr A but I got so bored after about 5 miles that I ended up going back outside but with trail shoes on. Wouldn't have wanted to do my 22-mile runs in there.

• Options

I think you will find 5 of us apart from you who answered, do not actually equate to everone else in the UK.

Am actually tempted to join a gym but not to run any less. image

• Options

Well let me put this to the OP. Picture the scene, its a cold December night, the temperature cant decide whether its in the postive or negative range, thats how cold it is. But you decide, sod it, Im going to brave that 10 mile run today. So out you go, sucking in sub  zero temperatures deep into your throat. Then a couple of days later you go down with a cold. 

Guess what the guy who went to the gym is doing? Oh thats right, hes continuing his training. So while you get brownie points for bravery, you're not getting fitter lying in bed fighting off that cold.

Just something to think aboutimage

• Options

Or... put it this way, I used to really suffer with colds / asthma / chest infections.  Since i've been running outdoors in all weather i've had a couple of light colds, no chest infections. Not used an inhaler in over a year.... I think running in subzero tempretures is good for you.  Clears out all the bugs image

• Options

More likely to pick up a cold in the gym, sharing equipment, changing rooms etc.

• Options

Thanks for all the tips! I'm afraid I couldn't think of anything worse than running on a treadmill for an hour (or more) so I will just have to take a deep breath and brave the elements and just do it! I will just need to push myself and make sure I go with my running club too....they will keep me going....I hope! image

• Options

I have always had colds, BUT i started running in January this year and by god it was cold. I was freezing, You no what, not one cold i have picked up this year.

I feel great.

Or you could run in a gym with loads of people spreading germs and get ill.

Give me outside anyday.

• Options

I reckon we have found the cure to the common cold between us. 

Nobel prize for medicine here we come. 

• Options

Ay. Thought my gym membership would be ideal when the weather became `unrunnable`. Ended up running in blizzards et al as it was preferable to gymming it / the dreadmill. Gym now cancelled.

• Options

Last winter I ran numerous times in temperature between -10C and -17C (I live somewhere colder than UK) and didn't get a single cold; indeed I haven't had a cold in about 3 or 4 years as cycle outside every day in all weather and run in pretty much anything too. Gyms are definitely are more likely place to pick up infection - bugs love damp, warm places!