Options

Runners lunches

Need to take pack lunch's to work. Anyone have any ideas on something healthy and tasty but not the usual suggestions you get around peanut butter, salads nuts etc Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Cook some spicy chicken skewers, or a good home made soup, do a big batch for the week and you'll be sorted. You can also make a bbq and coca cola marinade for the skewers whilst not the healthiest marinade it's great tasting, you can be a bit unhealthy once a week!
  • Options

Chicken Chicken Chicken Chicken

• Options

Chicken Adam? 

• Options

William ... what would you like to have for lunch and what stops you ?

You can pre-cook stuff you know  image

• Options

How about a pot noodle?

• Options

Knock up a batch of bolognese made with quorn mince.  You'll be moving like Farah.

• Options

Protein: grill a load of chicken breasts. You can eat them cold. Ditto roast salmon steaks (wrap in kitchen foil with a tiny bit of olive oil and salt/pepper, put in oven for about 10-12 mins). Fresh or tinned tuna is also pretty versatile. Turkey breasts make a change to chicken. Bit bland, but you can flavour it with salt/pepper/oil/tabasco/useyourimagination

Carbs: A generous portion of brown rice or wholewheat pasta or boiled new potatoes.

Vitamins: You can have them with fresh veg (e.g. red peppers, lettuce, spring onions, avocado etc) or cooked veg (brocolli, mange tout, peas, green beans etc).

Avoid temptation to drizzle everything in oil, but I find a little oil and balsamic (or lemon juice) goes a long way. And I like lots of black pepper.

You can cook these kind of lunches yourself the night before. Doesn't take very long, isn't hugely expensive (the fresh fish is about the dearest, but still probably cheaper than buying lunch from pret or a cafe or something). Plus you're in control of what goes in.

• Options

What's wrong with a salad? The right stuff can be really tasty and you can add a protein you like. I like greek salad but will sometimes replace the feta with sardines, chicken, turkey or tuna etc for variety. A good sprinkle of dried oregano and a small puddle of greek olive oil - absolutely delicious! Just had one with salmon and a couple of slices of bread and butter. And it's really quick to make, cheap and far superior to some bland shop sandwich.

• Options

The night before, cook bulgur wheat and lots of chopped-up veg in stock, add herbs or other flavouring like harissa. In the morning, add any of e.g. chopped hard-boiled egg, chicken, tuna, sardines or other protein, olives, capers, anchovies or whatever, salad leaves, spinach or tomatoes. 

I'm a hungry cyclist as well as a runner and one lunch box about 15cm square filled with this will keep me full all afternoon.