Options

Husband (or Wife!) Tracker

There are lots of posts on here about tracking devices that runners wear which help them with GPS info on their runs, where they have been, times etc. 

Does anyone have any experience of any devices that allow someone at home to track your position on a map on a phone app or computer when you're out running? I have looked at a few but don't know which is best; from the reviews some appear to be inaccurate or slow to update and some have expensive monthly costs. I could use my iphone and an app such as find friends but i would prefer to carry something smaller around.

Comments

• Options

Why on earth would anyone want that? Surely "I'll be out for about an hour" (or whatever) should suffice.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I tell someone where I'm going, and for how long (roughly).

That's enough for safety, I'd find being tracked very Big Brother! image

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Garmin 620 and smartphone work well.

lots of smartphone only apps that do the job, pretty cheaply. 

• Options
    booktrunk wrote (see)

Garmin 620 and smartphone work well.

lots of smartphone only apps that do the job, pretty cheaply. 

Thanks Booktrunk. I certainly wouldn't intend to be tracked as a matter of course but do run often for a couple of hours or more in the dark off road alongside the river or canal, and this could help me get attention quicker if required. Its like a modern version of the Cram Tag, a name label tied into your shoe laces, promoted by Steve Cram after his brother had a serious accident and died when running and nobody found out who he was for two days.

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I think the Garmin 220 does it too, via an iPhone. Not sure because although I have a 220 I don't have a smartphone.

Why would you want to be tracked? Easy - you go for a run, the missus watches your progress and puts the kettle on when you're halfway up the road.

• Options
    sean Oc 4sean Oc 4 ✭✭✭

I love it when someone asks a reasonable question and the same old people give them shit because they haven't got the common sense or intelligence to appreciate that someone may just have slightly different requirements to them. 

A cheap way if you've already got an iphone, and that I've used is 'Find my iphone" which is perfect if you're recovering from a major medical issue and like nothing more than to lose yourself in the hills. Your partner can access it from any other computer or iOS device. 

Theres a "Tile" that works with iOS too that looks interesting. 

• Options

That depends. There a lot of small GPS trackers that work with the GPS and mobile phones. Ofcourse there are also apps for the phone, like Runkeeper with a live follow system. And what to think of a Spot or DeLorme? 

I use a Spot device in Scotland when I go out in the mountains or glens. There is no mobile coverage and I want to be abe to be found and to be able to send for help.

So nothing strange about the question in my opinion!

• Options
    Muttley wrote (see)

I think the Garmin 220 does it too, via an iPhone. Not sure because although I have a 220 I don't have a smartphone.

Why would you want to be tracked? Easy - you go for a run, the missus watches your progress and puts the kettle on when you're halfway up the road.

i was thinking more that the hubby could start the bath running...........who would want a cuppa straight after a run

• Options
    sean Oc 4 wrote (see)

I love it when someone asks a reasonable question and the same old people give them shit because they haven't got the common sense or intelligence to appreciate that someone may just have slightly different requirements to them. 

A cheap way if you've already got an iphone, and that I've used is 'Find my iphone" which is perfect if you're recovering from a major medical issue and like nothing more than to lose yourself in the hills. Your partner can access it from any other computer or iOS device. 

Theres a "Tile" that works with iOS too that looks interesting. 

Yes, what did we all do before all the technology? I seem to remember that we managed quite well.

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Muttley wrote (see)

Or she can kick out her bit on the side when she sees your on the way back and not far from home image

• Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    Find my friends, I like to be tracked if I'm disappearing into the wilderness by myself too!
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    XX1 wrote (see)
    Muttley wrote (see)

Or she can kick out her bit on the side when she sees your on the way back and not far from home image

Well yes, that thought had occurred to me but I was too polite to say it!

• Options
    miss slowmiss slow ✭✭✭

My family all use Life360 app - just gives peace of mind if someone goes missing or is worried etc.  It can be turned on and off manually by a user at any time for privacy.

• Options

I use Find My Phone. I like to know that I can be found if I get hit by a car and end up in the ditch! Or much more likely ... I get lost and need a lift home!

Apparently Garmin are now offering some sort of pay-for service you can be tracked on. Think it's PC to Garmin but I didn't look into it as I take my phone when I run.