Options

I am about to do my first triathlon

Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Up til now I have only been doing long distance stuff: long distance swimming, long distance running, middle distance cycling, but never together. In 4 weeks I'm booked into a sprint triathlon midweek at Hever Castle.

Is there a guide out there for first time triathletes? Do's and don't's of transitions, racing etiquette, essential pieces of kit, and so on.

Second question: I'm planning on just doing speed work over the next three weeks in all three disciplines with a rest day and a recovery run once a week, and that's it, few very gentle sessions in the 4th week.

Any suggestions of ways I can improve my unscientific training plan?

My goal, by the way, is to beat my friend, but along the way I'd like to post a half-decent time.

Comments

• Options

Hi Snap.

Key points in a triathlon:

Do listen to the race briefing.

In the swim:

Trisuit, Goggles, wetsuit (if open water)

Do go around the bouys

On the bike:

Trisuit, your bike, helmet, cycling shoes, bottle of energy drink/electrolyte, tyre levers, spare tube and gas, number belt (number facing backward).

Do put on your helmet before unracking your bike.

Don't get on your bike until after the mount line at the exit from transition (T1)

Do get off your bike before the dismount line and the entrance to T2Don't take your helmet off before you have re-racked your bike

Don't draft, it's bad manners and could get you a time penalty

Do stop If a marshall tells you to stop - you'd be amazed how many don't!

On the run:

Trisuit (bit smelly by now...), running shoes, cap (if it's hot), number belt (swivel around so number facing forward, if used on bike)

Don't stop till you get to the end

And finally....

Don't forget to enjoy yourself!

Of course, there's a lot more to it, but these are key things to remember, The helmet and dismount issues will get you dq'd if you get these wrong. Best read the race organisers notes

As far as training is concerned, if you're sorted in each discipline individually, you need to click these together in brick sessions. I.E do some sessions where you combine a ride (say an hour) with a short run afterwards (20 mins).

You probably don't need to run as much as you think. The bike is the greater leg in time and distance so roughly half your training should be on this.

Good luck.

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

that's great. I am a little confused about the tri-suit. Can I wear it instead of or as well as a wet suit? 

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

And any recommendations for which to buy?

• Options
    From the race website : Wet suits will be optional on race day if the the temp is between 15 and 23 degrees centigrade.

You wear a trisuit under a wetsuit (presuming it will be compulsory - it usually is)

If its cold - you cant just wear a trisuit.

You could wear a swim costume under a wetty - but you'd want to change in transition.

Aldi had tri suits in the other week - worth a look there i'd think.
  • Options

Nudity isn't allowed, if you're changing from your budgie smugglers in transition!! image

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I won't bother taking a towel and hairdryer then!

• Options

They tend to get annoyed if you smoke in transition. You might find this useful good luck. image linky

• Options

You obviously don't have to use a trisuit. There's nothing to stop you wearing shorts (tri or, for a sprint, standart lycra run shorts) and a close fitting top  Wear the shorts under the wetsuit for the swim then add the shirt in T1.

Re drafting - it's not just manners, in most events it's not allowed. You may just get time penalties, alternatively you may be disqualified.

Favourite errors:
    Helmet on back to front
    Forgetting to remove helmet before leaving T2

Have fun image

• Options

image Oh a list

Favourite errors:
    Helmet on back to front
    Forgetting to remove helmet before leaving T2
    Putting helmet on before putting on your t-shirt top
    Leaving your goggles on your head for the bike/run
    Forgetting where you left your bike/trainer's
    Failer to spot a event sign post just going straight up thinking it must be here somewhere and ending up in hemel hempstead image

• Options

Leaving bike gloves on for the run.

My colleague beat me out of the swim last time we raced but I beat him out of T1. He put all his bike kit on, helmet, shoes, gloves glasses etc then noticed he had forgotten to take his wettie off! LOLimage

• Options

another favourite error.... putting your watch or timing chip over your wetsuit, and forgetting... and then wondering why your wetsuit won't come off!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    I sometimes leave my mitts on for the run. It saves time in transition and extra padding for high fives !
  • Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    All possibilities. I once turned up to a race with my trainers but no insoles. It really wasn't my day: my wife and I later had to be eliminated from a police inquiry into a near fatal stabbing on the night before the Southhampton HM, because she's vaulted over police crime scene tape to cheer on a freind, thus leaving her fingerprints all over a crime scene. I was just as stupid for following her blindly. I've been doing that for 20 years now.
  • Options

Practice your transition - decide what you will wear and how you will set it out, then lay it out in your garden or garage, go for a short ride or run and come back to your kit. You'll soon find out what is best for you. Personally, for T1 I put my helmet on the tri bars, upside down with my sunglasses inside spread out ready to put on and bike gloves if you will use them.. Race number pinned to my number belt, (you don't need to buy one yet, a piece of elastic will do) and hung on the bike. Small towel on the ground with bike shoes and running shoes, opened out and dusted with talc. When I come out of the swim and race to my bike, the order of the day for me is put on helmet and sunglasses, step into the number belt and pull it up, making sure number is on your back. Feet into shoes and off I go. Back from the bike, rack bike, helmet off, shoes off, running shoes on and go, turning number round to the front as I run.

• Options

Don't try and run too hard straight off the bike ease into it as the lactic shifts.

practice transition, it makes a difference.

remember where exit is from transition, I forgot twice and ran round like a dick!

Enjoy

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    Not as simple as it seems. I was told about the talc and towel trick today. Brilliant! Mother of invention n all that.