Options

Groupsets

im about to add a new road bike to my stable and there is a lot to chose from.

my problem lies with which group set to go with.

Shimano or SRAM 

If Shimano is Di2 the way to go

ALSO

at the moment by TT bike has a 53/39 front ... Do I mirror this on thenew road bike or do I go compact ... 

... The bike that is being sort of replaced (a Trek Madone) has a Dura Ace triple on

thoughts please image

Comments

• Options

PS.. This will be my main bike for training, long social rides and sportives etc

• Options
    Aren't SRAM and Shimano interchangeable ?

I have Ultegra on the road bike, and SRAM on my TT, but often use the aero wheels from my TT on the roadie with no selection issues.
  • Options

Will i have had various iterations of Shimano for many trouble free years, my training buddy has had a bike with SRAM red for the past year and it has been a pig to get set up not what i would expect from a top of the range groupset, just to mix it up my new roadie has Campag Athena 22 speed and though its early days i am very impressed

• Options

Dave. I do that at the moment ... But the new sShimano is 11 speed ... So that'll put an end to that ... As my TT is 10spd SRAM and the wheels (mavic cosmics) are not 11 speed compatible.

im also looking at changing my TT to Di2 but it'll need to be the older 10speed 

• Options
    Mmm I have Cosmics on the TT as well, suppose it will stop me buying a new roadie for a while

Never had any issues setting them up with the SRAM
  • Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    My Ridley has a 52/36 semi compact Rotor chain set with the rest mechanical 10spd Ultegra. My winter bike has Sora, that and the Ridley are the first Shimano bikes I've had and I'm happy with them. Betty Bianchi has Campag like the other bikes I've had and I prefer it, no idea why, just do. I like the semi compact chainset, just that lower bail out gear than a 53/39 on a hill.

I regret not going Di2 on the Ridley though, even if just to see what it's about. I've nott got race wheels (yet) just some Campag Zonda and some Ksyrium Elite. The Shimano bike makes it easier to buy second hand or bargain in the sale though.
  • Options

There's more to what groupset to go for than how fast you'll go. Reliability, ease of maintenance, overall quality and so on. Losing weight and training more won't make up for a crap groupset that decides to stop working.

• Options
    Don't worry just kk bored again.

The Ridley I hired in Tenerife back in March was a compact with Di2, didn't miss a beat all week, would Deffo consider it for my next bike
  • Options

I'd get a compact - of course the new 11 speed Shimano stuff is all compact anyway and it just depends what chainrings you have  but I'd go for a compact set up given what you are going to use it for.   Having sram on one and 11sp Shimano on the other is a bit of a pain but how much of one depends how often you'd want to swop the wheels across.  

• Options

Having just had a look at 11sp 105 groupsets I'm now toying with the idea of asking santa for one to replace the 10sp Tiagra on my Cube Peloton Pro. Might also need to look into some new wheels..

• Options

A 52/36 is a great set-up, if the option is available. If I was in the market for a new groupset, I'd be looking at 11 speed 105, when set-up correctly, it performs as well as Ultegra and Dura Ace, but lighter on the wallet. Okay, not as flash, but it's fantastic for a "mid range" groupset.

Sram or Shimano? Whatever you prefer the feel of when shifting. Sram's double tap system has a split market, love or hate

• Options

Sk this is not about throwing loads of money at it . It's about replacing an old bike And because I work hard I can afford to do it , but I was enquiring about people's view on group sets

so if you don't have anything useful to add ..

popster. I was looking at a giant today and it came withe decent wheels anyway ... And disks ... Since when was disks a road thing?

• Options
    It's been happening more and more, only thing disks still aren't allowed in UCI sanctioned events, so you couldn't do a local TT with them
  • Options

I have a TT bike for TTs

• Options
    WildWill wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

i would suggest to those with excess weight.put your planning into that pre Christmas.....do your precision plans ( with graphs if desired ) into all your food menus and meals for the week including snacks if desired.make that your prime focus for the next 9 weeks......

the training will be much easier

Are you calling me fat ...and criticizing my graphs .. all in one post??? image

WildWill wrote (see)

Dave. I do that at the moment ... But the new sShimano is 11 speed ... So that'll put an end to that ... As my TT is 10spd SRAM and the wheels (mavic cosmics) are not 11 speed compatible.

im also looking at changing my TT to Di2 but it'll need to be the older 10speed 

Just picked up on this (not read whole thread yet) - to my knowledge ALL mavic hubs are 11sp compatible. Prior to 11sp they require a 0.85mm spacer which is simply removed for 11sp.

• Options

Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    It's been happening more and more, only thing disks still aren't allowed in UCI sanctioned events, so you couldn't do a local TT with them

Rear disk? You can use those at TTs. 

I have Shimano on my road bike and SRAM on the TT. I hired a road bike in the US with SRAM and it did the job. SRAM gear changes to me seem more positive. YMMV. 

• Options
    He meant disk brakes not disk wheels
  • Options

D'oh! Sure you could do a club TT with disc brakes. 

• Options
    Honestly dont know....

Been a lot in the comics about next years bikes all gaving a disk option, but that they are not UCI legal for racing...

One of the reasons why C??rvelo have been working with Magura to come up with hydraulic rim brakes on the P5 as its better than cable, but discs aren't allowed
  • Options

A prime driver for hydraulic is the ease of aerodynamic routing vs a Bowden cable. Sure the stopping power is greater, but there's tradeoffs that would otherwise preclude their selection in TTs (which by their nature generally don't have a lot of braking).

• Options
    If your tt bike isn't disc then I'd not go disc for the road bike. Just means you can swap wheels - front wheel at least and hopefully the rear.

I don't think I'd go di2 for a normal bike - I think the advantages might be more on a tri bike so you can change gear from multiple locations.
  • Options

Cougie .. That was my thinking of going Di2 on my TT bike so I can put changes on hoods and ends ... This will need to be 10-speed though, as my wheels not 11-speed compatible (I dont think)

I hope to do this in time for IM Austria 

• Options

WW my technical knowledge on this subject is poop.  I've had two bikes, both Shimano Ultegra (2006 & 2013).  What I can tell you that may be of some help, is that my current bike, bought & set up last year, has Mavic Cosmics & new 11 speed Ultegra.  Hopefully that bodes well for the compatibility of your existing wheels & a new 11 speed setup.

• Options

PRW - Cheers mateimage

• Options

I'd love to get a full ultegra 11 speed set but I wouldn't go for di2 personally. That said anything I read about it says people weren't expecting much and since using it wouldn't go back. Its probably fantastic.. I know a guy turned up to a race without having a charged battery and couldn't race.. awful reason to miss a race.

As for 10/11 speed.. it would be a shame not to get an 11 speed setup. If the wheel isn't already compatible is there an adapter you can get?

• Options
    WildWill wrote (see)

PRW - Cheers mateimage

I'll keep my mouth shut next time image

• Options
    TheEngineer wrote (see)
    WildWill wrote (see)

PRW - Cheers mateimage

I'll keep my mouth shut next time image

Sorry mate ... missed your post image

• Options

No worries, kidding! image