Options

Trail Running

Hi, I have just moved back to Sussex and thought I would make use of the South Downs to start trail running. Currently I am  going on 1-1.5 hour runs 1/2 times a week with a focus on enjoying the scenery and relaxing. However as my performance has started to improve I find myself switching attention to times, progression and perhaps entering a 10K competitive trail run.

I am looking for some advice and hope that someone on this forum might be able to help:

- Would anyone be able to recommend a trail running programme for a 10K? I have looked around the forum but main problem I have is that I look after our kids 3 days a week Tuesday through to Thursday and my opportunities to go running are limited on those days, so I am looking for a programme where I can squeeze most of the running in to 4 days with perhaps some strength/ cross training that I can do in my front room on the other 3 days.

- Is anyone aware of any running clubs in the east or west sussex area that focus specifically on trail running? 

Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options

Any 10k programme would suffice. Avoid doing reps/intervals etc on anything other than a good surface. Three days off isn't ideal, could you do a run on the middle day early or late? Running 3 days a week is plenty for a 10k but it would be better if you could run on one of the three days you mention. 

Can't help you with the running club but I can say I belong to one local to me and they don't focus specifically on trail running but I'm not sure you need to for a 10k if i'm honest. Find a club, go along for an evening and see if you like it.

Find some trails, public footpaths and run image

• Options

Hi Ian,

Whereabouts in Sussex are you? There are clubs across the county that do regular trail running so I'd agree with JR's advice, contact a local club and go along for an evening. I don't currently belong to a club myself, but most are pretty friendly.

Re training plans, I also agree with JR, except that I'd add in additional hill intervals if I really wanted to push my time. Also, if you can't get out for three days of the week, there are some excellent exercise programmes for trail runners, that involve about 30 minutes a session and can be done at home. Have a look round Youtube or similar. (Sorry, I have lost my links to the programmes I used, as they were on an old computer image )

Good luck and enjoy! image

• Options

Hi, thanks for the quick responses.

I am currently living in Haywards Heath and work in Eastbourne. 

Good suggestion r.e. the youtube videos I will have a look for some to fill in the days when I am not able to run. My Wife sets out early and finishes late so there really is limited chance to get out during those days.

In terms of times to aim for are there benchmark times for trail running compared to road? Presumably these are generally slower and would depend on the terrain?

Still shedding excess weight at the moment and best 5K split on the Garmin is showing as 23mins and 10K is 52mins.

Thanks