Options

rest week

i'm trying to ramp-up my miles to 50 a week.  this week i managed just over 40 & required 6days of running (4 easy runs, 1 long, 2 tempo).  i guess if i am going to run 6 days a week i need to start planning in recovery weeks.

i'm wondering how these work.  maybe only do 5 days every other week & every 6th week take the mileage down to 25 with maybe 3 easy runs only?

any advice appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

This is not a new idea.  Check out authors from Lydiard, Daniels, Pfitzinger who embraced "periodisation" and their theories.  Macrocycles, mesocycles, microcycles.    

What's the goal? Even this site has this built in http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-basic-marathon-schedules-advanced/110.html

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Some good advice from Toro there. I can reccomend P&D and Lidyard.

I'm a bit wary about you "ramping up" the mileage. Sounds like an injury waiting to happen.
  • Options

I would recommend cutback weeks every 3rd or 4th week... half the mileage that you were doing...

• Options

I would also recommend cutback weeks, probably in the 4th week, so 3 weeks of increasing mileage (40/42/44, say) then probably a week of 25 to no more than 30. Then restart with something like 42/44/46 and then 25 to 32. I would still be looking to get into the habit of running 5 or 6 times in the week, but more slowly and for less distance, in particular cutting back on the LSR.

But remember mileage isn't everything! I think you need to look at your week and perhaps revise it in the light of your race plans. What are your targets? It makes a big difference to what can be advised!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

+1 every 4th week but then also every 5th month needs to be easier really.  That's why plans are 4 months more or less then recover for a month.  P&D http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Marathoning-Peter-Pfitzinger/dp/0736074600 does this well and is what lots on sub 3 thread and P&D thread on here use.  

• Options
    stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

all good advice here, but I just spotted something in the OP about running 2 tempo runs per week.

It may just be the term that you are using, but most plans would be 1x interval and 1x tempo session per week.  If you are doing two tempo sessions (i.e. a few miles at 10k to HM pace to raise Lactate Threshold) then maybe consider swapping one for an interval session(e.g. 6x 600m at 5k pace with easier running of 300m between them) to boost your VO2 max.  Another vote for pfitzinger & douglas who give a much better explanation of this! 

• Options
    Thanks for the advise eveyone. I meant 2 interval sessions, dont really do tempos. Goal is to get 10k down as low as possible, have a race early march but more interested in a long term low than the race. Since nov been doing between 30 to 50k. Last week was 70k, my first 6 dayer. Felt like I mostly recovered everyday except today, day after long run. Calves sore. Lucky today is my rest day. Thinking of doing a low mileage week this week but previous 2 weeks only 45k so maybe not??
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    are you following a particular plan? Jumping from 45k to 70k in a week seems to break every rule in the book.
  • Options
    No plan. I saw that people with quick 10k times seem to do at least 50 miles per week. Doing 60k in a week seemed fine, felt I could do more. 6 days and 70k I realize is a limit hence my question on rest. Think build from 70k slowly, couple of miles a week seems to br suggested?
  • Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    This thread has answered a question I have been mulling over. Time to start adding a rest week once a month or so. I have been gradually increasing mileage for about a year or so and have eventually managed to average 39mpw over 5/6 days running, for the last 5 weeks (35 minimum and 42 maximum) and am going to have a slightly lower week this week which is handy as the weather is vile.

Just one question, Is it better to reduce just distance and keep the quality stuff or should everything be cut down equally?