Options

London marathon help

Guys I really really need help, I know I should've sorted this by now but I need a plan for the London marathon. The one I'd settled on is from the asics app but it seems to be running at a lot slower pace than I'm used to, I normally average 8:10ish miles over 6 miles but can run faster if I push myself. The asics plan starts tomorrow and it's saying start at 10:42 per mile, is this normal? Are they to be trusted? This is my first marathon Any help would be gratefully received

Comments

• Options
    I should also add that I work shifts but am prepared to work around these, I'm fairly busy but obviously know I will have to make sacrifices
  • Options
    How did you pick your plan ? I could choose a 2.30 plan or a 4.30 plan and they'd both be wrong for me.

Ideally you choose a plan that suits your abilities - but what a lot of people dont get is that you dont race all of your runs.

You'll run the long runs about 90 seconds slower than your race pace as you simply cant race a long run, train hard and recover and improve all in the same week.
  • Options
    I put the information it asked me for on the app, my time to finish (4:20) would be more than happy with that, my age and sex (41 m) and what can I run a 10k in, I put 48 minutes as that's my average time although I have run it in quicker.
  • Options
    I'd imagine that the app would want your current 10k time so it bases it off fitness.

What is your current 10k time and how much faster have you been and when was it ? any major differences between then and now ?
  • Options
    My fastest 10k race time is 45m 30s approx, that was last year, if I run a 10k just in my normal running I usually do it around 48m which I did Sunday
  • Options

I think the app is asking for a race PB rather than just a normal run time. But also I think that most runners who train seriously slow down a fair bit on their everyday runs. For example, if my PB was 37 minutes my 'normal' 10k training runs might be more like 46 minutes, which is not that much faster than your 48 minutes. Although you might not need to run quite as slow as the app is suggesting, you will massively benefit from slowing down your normal everyday running a LOT, especially as you will need to increase your mileage for marathon training.

• Options
    The thing about normal running is that it just doesn't tell us much.

How hard were you pushing etc - so a race time is needed as that's a good base to start with.

If your race time is 45 mins and your normal running pace is 48 then you need to look at how you run. You're almost racing all of your runs which will lead to fatigue and injury. Slow them down. if you don't then kiss goodbye to a decent performance in the marathon.

A race predictor based on a 46 min 10k gives something like 3.31 for your marathon time. That's probably a little optimistic - I'd think sub 3.45 would be a better goal.

4.20 is too soft - hence the slow paces it has asked you to do.

You'd be better off rejigging your plan and get a half marathon in the plans too as that will be a more accurate predictor for marathon time than a 10k is.
  • Options
    DAMN YOU FOR BEING SO MUCH MORE CONCISE ! image
  • Options
    Thank you for replying, I know I'm not being much help, when I did my 10k time in the race I was really pushing myself to be honest as I wanted a sub 45 10k

My normal running well, when I do a 10k in 48 I'm normally very tired at the end but recover quite quickly to be honest.

I think I'm getting from your replies, both of you, that basically don't overdue the training and stick roughly to the plan and times it gives me but I can run a bit quicker if I want to, but not too much.

I'll have another look tomorrow and aim for a bit of a quicker time but I don't really want to overdo it.

Thanks again