Options

GPS Computer

Wondering if anyone could help...

I am looking for a bike computer to track the usual things distance / speed / average speed etc. and im not sure what's good and bad out there. I currently use strava and would like to continue to upload my rides from the gps to my strava account so want something where this is really simple to do otherwise I wont bother.

I haven't started looking and don't really know where to start and what you can get for your money but I don't have a huge budget, probably around £100 could stretch this if the product was right but don't want to go over £150 ideally

In an ideal world I would love something with heart rate tracking, that would link up with my chest strap and better again something which showed your heart rate zones as you ride. I'm not sure if im a couple of hundred pounds put of this area or not 

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Options

After having a little look, this is looking like something that I would like. A little more than I wanted to spend but seems to have all the features I am looking for. does anyone have experience with polar

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/polar-v650-cycling-gps-computer-with-hrm/

• Options

check out dcrainmaker for all the info you need ( and loads you don't) 

• Options
    Wannabe Iron Alex wrote (see)

After having a little look, this is looking like something that I would like. A little more than I wanted to spend but seems to have all the features I am looking for. does anyone have experience with polar

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/polar-v650-cycling-gps-computer-with-hrm/

Yes, I have been using their V800 watch and H7 HRM for ages- they're reliable and the web interface is clean and usable (and can auto-sync to Strava, if you want).

They just enabled their (spookily accurate) recovery advisor for 650 users too, I believe. If that bike computer is half as good as the V800, it will be worth a look. Like Dave says, dcrainmaker will bury you in more info though, go and read.

• Options

I don't think you can beat this
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-310xt-noh-heart-rate-monitor-hrm-010-n0741-01.html?gclid=CKSVvZrai8sCFQhuGwod0-4HiQ

if you buy the quick release kit it fits nicely on the bike plus you can use it for running and swimming too.....

• Options

Personally I wouldn't buy a 310 now.... Its a very old device in GPS terms, and I will be surprised if Garmin are still making/selling it later this year....

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Thanks for the info guys, I am currently frying my brain on the DC Rainmaker website lol. I think I am more confused then when I started

• Options

The 310 is a poor choice, not only is it somewhat obselete, it also doesn't support power meters, so you'd be looking at a new device if you wanted to use them.

• Options

Obviously a 920 would be nicer but the OP wants something sub £100 if possible

• Options

The problem for me with the 310 is that without long term Garmin support, eventually the Garmin Express download service will stop working... it might be 5 years away... but who knows?

Personally, I'd buy a newer, lower spec device, rather than head for an elderly device to keep cost down...

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

The more I am looking into them, them more I am getting pulled into splashing out and going with Garmin. I really like the idea of the Garmin popping up with the strava sections and telling you how close you are to beating the KOM's. I know this isn't essential by any means but it will keep things fun on rides and anything to help push you harder in training and making it fun is a bonus for me.

I think the Garmin 520 Edge could be a good investment, does anyone disagree with this and know any reason not to

• Options

I'm a self confessed gadget-a-holic. I had the 910xt plus a quick release kit when I started which was good, but kept suffering altitude issues. I then moved to the 920xt when it came out just over a year ago and it's the best gadget I own by a long way.

The second best bit is probably the Garmin edge 510 that I use on all bike rides since the move to a 920xt (no quick release was available initially). It's just easier to have a bike mounted computer and saves the problems you get with a watch and quick release faff etc. On races I now just run both, but all the watch does is record total time etc. and I focus on the 510 for the actual bike leg.

It does everything I need it to. I have a single screen which shows total distance, and total time at the top, as they're the most frequently looked at. I then have four further bits of info including HR, Cadence, Power and Speed. Obviously unless you buy a speed/cadence sensor, power, and HR you won't get some of the data, but it's useful to know that if you buy them at a later date you can just plug them in. The Strava segments thing sounds like it would be pretty cool, but I wonder how long you'd last trying hard on every segment (especially given most of your miles should be aerobic pace!)

Anyway, I'm waffling. Summary - a 520 should be a good long term investment in my opinion.

• Options

that's great cheers DaylightR, I knew I wouldn't end up sticking to the £100 budget haha

• Options

Did you get one I just picked up a mio 105 for £20 from wiggle should be £90 not the best on the market but too good to miss

• Options

Yeah I did,  with my £100 budget I invested in the Garmin Edge 520 with heart rate monitor and cadence sensor for £250. Why does the budget never work!! lol

It was on offer at wiggle though, so I didn't spend £250, I saved £50 

• Options
    Good budgeting lol
  • Options

That's my kind of budgeting!

Daylight: "Hi Wife, I've just saved us 50 quid at Wiggle!"

Mrs Daylight: "Cool. Whoa, wait a minute, how much did it cost?"

Daylight: "That doesn't matter, I saved 50 quid!!!"

Mrs Daylight: "But you said you would only spend 20 in the first place! That's another holiday / restaurant / hotel break you owe me!"

• Options

Were you in my house when I broke the news to the wife Daylight?